Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Volunteer registration for 2012 is open, I believe.

JT, you know, last year I brought REAL guns and a bayonet into Comic Con for that Civil War skit I volunteered to be in for the costume masquerade.

NO ONE checked me or noticed. Because of the rules against politicking for the costume masquerade, you can't wear your costume in the convention and be allowed to show it during the contest with several thousands of dollars in prizes are awarded.

But there's nowhere to hide a five-foot-plus long rifle.

As no one even bothered to question me, I stopped quickly into the exhibit hall to show the Hasbro team what I was up to and invite them to the program that evening. The costume masquerade is very funny and entertaining when it unfolds before a live audience and I highly recommend attending it - though that's always been a process too (tickets are free but you have to go and pick them up on that Saturday during the convention )

Anyway, THEN I proceeded to the costume contest dressing rooms / staging area to meet up with my Civil War buddies.

The point is, if the security staff doesn't notice a 5 foot long rifle, or bother with a bayonet when their policy says they don't even allow pocket-knives or box cutters for non-exhibitors (I think) then if my pass said "Salina Gomez" on it, I'm not sure they'd question me.

It's kind of a good idea to also institute non-removeable wrist bands, but I had to wear one for my program last year (which might be why they let me in with the rifle now that I think about that - but others in my re-enacting unit got in with their weapons, too). The wrist band was very annoying to have to wear even in the shower for 5 days.

But I suppose it was less of an inconvenience for those attending comic con who don't shower even once in 5 days
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'll make sure to let security know to stop you every time you walk in the building then.

Wondercon is in 2 weeks and they still don't have a programming schedule up yet despite having nowhere near the amount of programming of SDCC. I swear these guys fly by the seat of their pants.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm also disappointed in there not being a Wonder Con programming schedule posted yet. I plan to attend all three, unless I'm convinced otherwise by the schedule. I'm hoping the trend of showing the next DC animated film at the convention preceding it will continue - I'd like to see the how they've put the Dark Knight Returns together. I would also assume that Marvel will show Avengers footage, considering its release will be 6 weeks away. Maybe we'll get some Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises, or Prometheus footage? Game of Thrones begins a couple of weeks later, so maybe they'll have a panel. There's usually a DC Direct exclusive figure.

For those who have not been to Wonder Con before, I went last year in San Fran and it reminded me of SDCC from the early-mid 90s: not too packed, friendly atmosphere, reasonable lines, plenty of space in the panels, affordably priced admission. I enjoyed that aspect of it. The drive up there and back wasn't as pleasant as going down to SD, but I didn't regret the trip. I doubt the tone and scope will be comparable over in Anaheim, but I'll attend nonetheless.

Presumably, something happened and thus far I've missed out on it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm sorry to hear about that, Tycho.

Well, yet another fiasco for today's SDCC badge sales! Unfortunately, it seems not everyone that registered an SDCC member ID got the email about today's onsale. And those that did get the email were provided a link which did not work at all. There were some postings on SDCC's facebook page about how the link diverted us to "dmanalytics.com", some sort of data mining site(???) For those that clicked on it, myself included, precious time was wasted. What we really needed to do was either paste the link into our browser or else click onto the official SDCC site, both of which took precious seconds.

The end result of me being 2 minutes late was that I ended up 19397th in line and ended up with only a pass for Thursday (though I could have added a Sunday if I wanted to).

Judging from the Facebook posts and comments, their system was insanely jacked up.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm happy to coordinate for any exclusives you all may miss. I'll be there on Preview night for my annual rage attack and I might spend the early part of Thursday in the line for 2013 passes.

What a disaster! So many of my friends did not get tickets because of the way they handled this. The speed with which these sold through is disgusting, they've made it impossible to get into this show now and it's unfair. I want to say something to their faces about this at Wondercon in 2 weeks, but I am not sure their letting me in with a press badge is the appropriate way to voice something like that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.