Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Motel 6? Pack your Kevlar, JT!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Well, my hotel fell through, they changed reservation systems and lost my reservation. So now it doesn't look like I'm going at all, I'm scrambling to find anything but it's booked up horribly at what I can afford.

EDIT: I booked a motel 6 that's a little closer but $250 more, which really eats into my budget, and doesn't have a mini-fridge or microwave, so breakfast is going to be rough - I'm thinking mini-wheats and milk boxes (I nearly forgot that they still make milk boxes, I was gonna use soy milk full-sizers but this is better).

The reservations guy at my first motel might honor my price, in which case I'd have a tough choice to make - those last 6 miles between La Mesa and El Cajon are a bit of a slog after a full day of Comic-Con, but $250 is a lot of money for my comic-con budget.
    If you're staying at the same motel 6 I stayed in, bring air freshener. The first night there, I had to get up and go to Walmart to pick up some Febreez just to be able to sleep. And that was in the non-smoking room. The place was the cheapest in quality I had been to in San Diego, but none of my things were touched. There were some rough looking customers there, along with several Comic Con attendees.

It's hard to believe we're only three and half weeks away already.

I've retitled the thread since it's no longer about SDCC 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Motel 6? Pack your Kevlar, JT!
    At first I just thought "oh ha ha", then I realized what you do for a living and that you'd know. That said, I checked the neighborhood crime stats, they're actually at or even well under the national average except in motor vehicle theft, so I'll try not to think about one of your brethren examining my brains splattered all over the walls. x2

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    If you're staying at the same motel 6 I stayed in, bring air freshener. The first night there, I had to get up and go to Walmart to pick up some Febreez just to be able to sleep. And that was in the non-smoking room. The place was the cheapest in quality I had been to in San Diego, but none of my things were touched. There were some rough looking customers there, along with several Comic Con attendees.

It's hard to believe we're only three and half weeks away already.
    La Mesa? Oh man, that sucks to hear. How long ago was that? Supposedly they've refreshed the facilities. The place I stayed the last 2 years, the one that lost my reservation this year in a very permanent manner, they had a bit of a funk but it was easy to overlook after only a few minutes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

At first I just thought "oh ha ha", then I realized what you do for a living and that you'd know. That said, I checked the neighborhood crime stats, they're actually at or even well under the national average except in motor vehicle theft, so I'll try not to think about one of your brethren examining my brains splattered all over the walls. x2
    Just looking out for your welfare, my friend. I'm not trying to alarm, only trying to make you aware. In our county, the folks that "keep the light on for you" is a well-known site for job security for me (unfortunately). Take care, sir!

I
    La Mesa? Oh man, that sucks to hear. How long ago was that? Supposedly they've refreshed the facilities. The place I stayed the last 2 years, the one that lost my reservation this year in a very permanent manner, they had a bit of a funk but it was easy to overlook after only a few minutes.
    I think that was it, but can't remember exactly the town's name. It was below San Diego, heading towards the border. I stayed there in 2009. Things could only improve there, so I'm glad to hear they have, if only on paper thus far.

I stay at probably a dozen hotels every year - mostly for Civil War, gunfighter, and movie shoots I'm doing.

While it might be obvious that I'm armed with at least 2 or more firearms wherever I'm staying or going, I've never had a problem - and can't remember the last time I had a noisy neighbor either.

I usually pick Holiday Inn Express or Best Westerns though. In their absense I've stayed in Motel 6s, Comfort Inns, and the likes - whatever was available (a hanuted hotel in a western ghost town too, actually.)

Still, I've never had a problem and now we're talking about at least 36 hotel stays since 2009 and my kidney transplant.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Just looking out for your welfare, my friend. I'm not trying to alarm, only trying to make you aware. In our county, the folks that "keep the light on for you" is a well-known site for job security for me (unfortunately). Take care, sir!
    Have you guys drummed up statistics on Motel 6 crime levels yet, and how they compare to other hotel chains.

I usually carry a folding knife for such locations, maybe I should switch that to a fold-assist though, faster and nastier sounding. (All my knives are CA-legal, copper! )

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I think that was it, but can't remember exactly the town's name. It was below San Diego, heading towards the border. I stayed there in 2009. Things could only improve there, so I'm glad to hear they have, if only on paper thus far.
    OH THANK GOD. No, that's Chula Vista, which has a much worse reputation in general than La Mesa, although a friend of mine stayed at a different budget hotel in that area the last 3 years and said she liked it fine. La Mesa is northeast of San Diego.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My in-laws lived in Chula Vista, right near the border, for a while. I never experienced any problems, even walking a mile from the trolley stop at night, carrying a few bags of Comic-Con swag.

I'll confess, though, San Ysidro (where the actual border crossing is) kinda scares me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

JT, it sounds like my SDCC related misfortunes are rubbing off on you!

Hope everything works out for you

JT:

Rule of thumb: any motel/hotel with a number in its name is usually trouble. ("Economy", "budget" words are also to be avoided).

Friendly advice: I'd add some OC to the arsenal when walking around. At home, keep some wasp insecticide spray handy (no kidding! Great stand-off range and ruins a bad guy's day!).