Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Accident!

Car Accident!

Well, I was in a minor fender bender the other day. Pulling out of work and a guy in a truck nearly ripped off the rear bumper cover on my car. He was heading the wrong way going out a one way.

Esurance has begun the claims process and I will take it in this weekend to get looked at and to get an estimate.

Sucks, I hate the idea of driving the car after it's been hit, I am VERY picky about body repairs, I spent 4 years in auto body back in high school and developed a real eye for body work and mismatched paint.

I will probably look at trading the car in shortly after the repairs are complete.

I will probably go with a slightly used Subaru STI hatch '08 or newer.
    May the force be with you.

I got rear-ended in the target parking lot yesterday...$500 bucks for a new bumper on a 2009 chevy traverse....oh well, got a bunch of vintage figs though....

I hope the insurance and body repairs go well for you. I was involved in an accident back in June, and the other guy's insurance company was a complete waste. It took two weeks to get a rental car from them, and while the body shop we went to released the car to us, I'm still not sure they've been paid more than the initial estimate, which was far short of the total for repairs.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

That sucks.

Esurance recommended a place near me, it's a smaller franchise, so I am hopeful. Also, the repair shop has rental car setup as part of their repair process.

Still, I hate the idea of keeping the car after this, I just know that no matter how good they are I will see the "repair" every day and it will bug me to no end.

I've had two parking lot accidents. First one was a guy backing OUT of the street entrance into traffic (me), but there wasn't anything more than light scratches (mainly on his), so no claim. Other one technically was my fault (car came to a stop heading into traffic when there were no cars on the street and I kept drifting, expecting them to continue forward like a normal driver ), so I had to pay (only around $500).

Avoid those guy-speeding-hits-you-from-behind-and-flips-you-on-your-roof-so-you-spin-around-parallel-to-the-ground-which-dumps-you-on-the-side-of-the-freeway-upside-down accidents. They suck. :fromfirsthandexperience: There are safer ways to get a new car.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Avoid those guy-speeding-hits-you-from-behind-and-flips-you-on-your-roof-so-you-spin-around-parallel-to-the-ground-which-dumps-you-on-the-side-of-the-freeway-upside-down accidents. They suck. :fromfirsthandexperience: There are safer ways to get a new car.
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with the "trade-in" route.

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you were okay.

On a side note my car does have a 5 star crash rating.

Yeesh! Hope everything works out for the best. Since the other guy was at fault (and clearly so), I'd try to go through his insurance, but be ready to go through your own if they try to screw you, since the company you don't deal with usually doesn't care about your satisfaction and wants out as cheaply as possible. (I got sandwiched between two cars a few years ago at a stoplight. They both had the same insurance company, which was different from mine. I had to drive an essentially totalled car for a week because they insisted on me taking it various times to an auto body shop to check it, and they kept forgetting to do stuff. Finally, I said "screw it," and got a check from my insurance company within two days. Thankfully, since we had excellent driving histories, it didn't even raise the premium.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with the "trade-in" route.

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you were okay.

On a side note my car does have a 5 star crash rating.
    It was 5 years ago. I am sad to be unable to buy another Saturn after this one wears down, because it held up quite well for me.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Thats nothing. Our car just got crushed like an insect Wednesday night. A pallet full of crates containing plastic automotive parts (mold injected dashboards and such) fell on top of it. Each crate weighed around 3 to 4 hundred pounds.

Car is completely wrecked, insurance considers the car totaled. Mechanic says he can probably fix it for around $6000. Lots of things need complete replacement parts though and the car frame has some structural damage that needs repaired. Car will also need to be repainted in its entirety.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

How, pray tell, did that happen? And I'm hoping you weren't in it at the time. (Assuming not, in fact, since you're posting here.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.