Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    I picked up the Magnus early in December as well, and it is a lot of fun, but holy crap do those darts get deformed. I shot it into my hand and it stung, and I shot it into my foot and it left a red mark for a day. The Centurion seems like a massive step backwards, it's too big, less accurate, heavier, and I hear it mangles the crap out of the darts. They need to make a true clip-fed mega dart gun that isn't ridiculous, and it really should hold more than 3 shots.

Then again, I picked up the Elite version of the Alpha Trooper, oh man was that surprising, it really is a different plunger and it makes a big difference compared to Elite darts in my regular Alpha Troopers. I was trying to convince my gal to shoot at me with the Elite Alpha Trooper as I was using the Hammershot, she hit me once and it stung way worse than I expected, so I was firing from the hip with the Hammershot and a shot went wild and hit her in the face (I was aiming for center mass, but shooting from the hip is dodgy at best). She turned around and I thought she was laughing so asking her if she was ok and getting no response but laughing, I shot her in the butt, only to find she was crying from being hurt and laughing too. I felt like such a heel, but finally did show her how to use the Alpha and she hit me once and that was it for Nerf for a while. She has mostly forgiven me.

Picked up the Elite Firefly clip with darts at Target on clearance, half off. This thing works really nicely.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't know much about females, but it's always seemed pretty obvious they don't like getting hit in the face. At least that wasn't much vengeance to be had, under similar circumstances I would feel compelled to offer myself up execution style.

Toy Fair looked to have some interesting items, most notably the winchester-style rifle intrigues me. I also like that they're moving onto banana-curve magazines, if only for one rifle so far. Still massively disappointed at the lack of rail accessories considering they've made sure to continue on making the rails plentiful. Keep hoping to see a new mission line released with a rerelease of the pinpoint sight.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I was aiming 2 feet lower, I swear! Honestly, I would have preferred anger and vengeance to tears, those are things I know how to deal with.

That winchester rifle Zombie weapon looks like the cocking lever will break easily, but if it's sturdy I can see getting it, very much of the "This is my BOOM STICK" variety of design.

Yeah, the lack of rail accessories is a disappointment, there are so many avenues still left for that. I want to see a grenade launcher (basically a mega dart or ball) that slides onto the rail a la an M203.

What do you think of the walking drone? I think it's a cute idea in theory but flawed as a premise, it's got limited shots, it's got no camera, and the controller needs to be line-of-sight leaving the user vulnerable.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The walking drone was interesting, I'm surprised we haven't seen any promo material or anything since then though. I'm guessing it's a ways off still but I figured they'd be hyping it up on Facebook and whatnot. I'm not sure if I'll invest in one, although I am curious what the dogs would do with it. My German Shepherd has already reacted to one of my R/C cars like a T-Rex to a Ford Explorer.

I'm sure by now you've seen the coverage from ToyFair with the grenade/rocket launching rifle? Shame they integrated the launcher into the gun rather than having it mounted on a long rail, I REALLY hope they explore that in the future.

I feel though I harp far too much on the subject of lack of accessories, but it bugs me endlessly that the pinpoints are still being made for store promotions in Singapore, and another country or two I think, but not mass-released. Especially since that's the only way to get an Elite-colored version so far.

Anyway, wanted to mention some recent Nerf buys. I haven't been buying anywhere near the amount that I was a couple years ago, though mostly it's because I have most of it in its original N-Strike form. But, I recently picked up the Zombie Strike Sidestrike pistol and the Elite suction-tipped darts.

First, the good. I originally planned to go dual-wield and buy a pair of Sidestrikes, but decided that it's best to stick with one for first try. Even though playing around with the Sidestrike has made convinced me to stick with just one, it is a very fun little pistol with a decent shot to it. I assume it's probably about basic for anything made post-Elite, but as far as pistols go I only have the Triad for comparison. It was actually unexpected to me that it came with dart storage below the barrel, since I've only ever noticed pictures showing the dart storage on the holster, so having six shots stored on everything that's included was pretty nice.

The pistol, due to its small nature, is a bit difficult to work since the slide has very little texture to it and it does have some considerable resistance. I'm not sure if it's truly that the resistance is that strong or if it just seems that way because the complications due to the size and smoothness, but it certainly makes sense as to why it shoots with adequate force. It's very simple to put in and draw out of the included holster, regardless of which direction you put it in. I think the lock could have been imagined a bit more thoroughly; it uses a tension hold on the slide when holstered, but if you holster it while the pistol is cocked then the slide is too loose to holster properly. Since it's a shallow holster, the gun will certainly flop a bit if not locked in. Supposedly the holster will work with the Firestrike but I don't have one, so can't test it.

One thing that was very clever about the holster is that it has two different mounting methods. You can either just slip the large belt clip piece over your pocket, your waistband or your belt. OR, alternatively, you can feed a belt/strap through the rectangle holes on the belt clip for a more secure hold. I very much appreciate those options. I usually just slip it on my jean pockets, but if I were actually going to participate in a Nerf war I'd probably put a strap through the clip for a thigh mount. Always good to have options. The pistol itself is a pretty small and sleek design, and I especially like the seemingly front-heavy proportions even though the whole thing is pretty dang light. I feel it's based on the Steyr M9A1 given various attributes, most notably being the proportions. It feels very comfortable in the hand and is very easy to grip for a quick draw. Really the only complaint I have about the gun itself is the slide and its lack of grippable texture. I've taken to just pulling on the rear 'iron sight' for a quick priming.

This isn't a complaint but what is certainly baffling is the obligatory accessory rail. I didn't even realize it had one until I got it, and it's located on the bottom due to lack of space on the slide, or either of the sides. This wouldn't be so bad as it works on a larger gun like the Magnus, but the Sidestrike is so small that the only thing that actually fits on the rail is the Recon's or Longstrike's sights, which obviously wouldn't make sense other than to add detail and bulk to the appearance. Even outside of consideration of lack of space for your hand, neither one can even get back far enough to 'lock' on the rail because the overall body length is too short so they hit the grip. Even if you slide the Recon light up enough to allow space for your fingers its gripping clamps will be half off the rail, it'll likely slip right off the gun with the slightest amount of force when pointed downward.

So this is one of those design choices that makes me question whether this came down to a mandate to feature a tactical rail on everything for consistent tacticool aesthetic, or has Hasbro become out of touch with the rail system and that's why they don't care to make anymore accessories? I hope it's the former. I see no reason the rail couldn't have been on top since no matter where the rail is, you wouldn't be able to holster the pistol with an accessory mounted anyway. So if a rail feature was mandatory then it would have made most sense to make room for it on the slide. The 'iron sights' are even raised to about the same height as the rails, so it wouldn't have been out of place.

But, like I said, that's not really a complaint. I had no intention of using any accessories on a pistol this size, it's just a weird design choice that seemed really unnecessary.

Now, the bad. The suction-tipped elite arts. They're terrible. In the Nerf aisle at my Walmart they have a coupon booklet mounted to the shelf they keep the Strongarm and Firestrikes on for $5 off a $9+ Nerf item when you buy Chewy Quaker Oats bars. We tend to get some of those anyway so I decided to use one of the coupons on a $10 pack of these darts. I was wary of the tiny suction tip but since they're designed to be used in magazine-fed guns I was lost in the idea of throwing them all in a drum mag and using the Stampede or Rayven. Unfortunately, they're crap. Whereas the old suction darts had a good chance of sticking even if you weren't aiming perfectly straight, these Elite darts are prone to bouncing away even in a dead-on straight shot. I'd say 1 out of every 8 actually managed to stick. I tried them in the Alpha Trooper, Barrel Break, Rayven, and Sidestrike just to get a good diversity of velocity and methods of fire. None of them made any difference, the tiny little suction heads are just too meek to get reliable suction quick enough. I wholly suggest avoiding them.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

I hadn't seen the Toy Fair coverage of the Demolisher. They took our idea and made it not as good, and direct-pump firing ensures no accuracy. Still, that's a cool looking blaster, except for the pump on the grenade being so intrusive, that could have been more streamlined. And a battery system, I don't have any of these because they review so poorly.

You are on the money about the lack of accessories, why put in these expensive tac rails if there's nothing good to use them with?

I just this week saw the Elite suction darts, sorry to hear they're so bad, you just saved me $6 right there.

The only dual-wield in the line is the Hammerstrike, IMO, because the hammer makes priming so easy.

Shocked that you can't even holster the Sidestrike primed nicely, that holster is all that really separates it from the much cheaper Firestrike. Pretty goofy about the tiny tac rail.

I forgot about the Demolisher also being electronic. Between the overall bulkiness and the battery system, that's going to be pretty forward-heavy considering the stock will most likely be pretty light. I'm hoping the banana mags are available separately, I think they'd look plenty spiffy in the upcoming Slingfire.

I've also been avoiding most of the electronic weapons. The Barricade, Stampede and Rayven have been about all I consider necessary since none seem to have any improved performances since the Barricade came out, seems the "Elite" upgrade only really applies to the normal guns. I've been tempted to pick up a Rapidstrike to try some of the power output and motor mods but I'm a bit more interested just keeping things stock. I might end up grabbing the Stryfe since Kohl's has a nice Mission Kit version with the stock from the Stockade (Elite Barricade) and a blue Recon barrel. Regularly $60, though, so definitely not picking it up outside of a significant clearance.

There's been better luck today with the suction darts, they apparently need some breaking in. Since I've had them sitting on my desk they've been the most convenient ammo to grab and it only took about... 8 reloadings for them to finally start sticking regularly, I think? It's still too much of a disappointment, there's no point to requiring a break-in period. They still require a very straight shot which isn't a guarantee, but any angles and they're definitely just going to fly off. So unless you can get them for free it does seem wise to avoid them.

I keep meaning to pick up the Hammerstrike but I don't make it over to Target much, especially after the hacking controversy. I constantly forget about it, 'out of sight and out of mind,' so it's never come up as an opportunity buy.

I picked up a 10-pack of Mega darts awhile back due to having a decent coupon so they've just been hanging out, hardly getting used since the Magnus is a bit bulky for a simple desk shooter. So, in curiosity, I put the Mega dart against the tip of a dart sticking out of the Sidestrike and found that the Mega dart's hole is just big enough for a normal dart to squeeze in there. I pushed the Mega dart all the way to the edge of the barrel and even though it's only about a half inch's worth of dart within dart, the hold is pretty decent.

Of course, had to fire it.

Surprisingly it's only the rare shot that doesn't go well, for the most part they're consistent in getting across my room (about 12 feet) like that. For some reason it works best putting them on the blue elite darts rather than the ZS green darts, which doesn't make sense to me. It almost reminds me of grenade launchers that get mounted to the barrel of rifles, so there's an option if you want to fire Mega darts from a pistol without using the Magnus - or are just incredibly bored.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I'm hoping the banana mags are available separately, I think they'd look plenty spiffy in the upcoming Slingfire.
    Those don't appeal to me because they only hold 10 darts and waste a ton of space on the banana curve.

I've also been avoiding most of the electronic weapons. The Barricade, Stampede and Rayven have been about all I consider necessary since none seem to have any improved performances since the Barricade came out, seems the "Elite" upgrade only really applies to the normal guns. I've been tempted to pick up a Rapidstrike to try some of the power output and motor mods but I'm a bit more interested just keeping things stock. I might end up grabbing the Stryfe since Kohl's has a nice Mission Kit version with the stock from the Stockade (Elite Barricade) and a blue Recon barrel. Regularly $60, though, so definitely not picking it up outside of a significant clearance.
    I have heard that the motor on the flywheel for the Elite Rayven is faster so it shoots farther, but I so far haven't tried any flywheel blasters, sticking with the Stampede's standard launching system. The Rapidstrike being a flywheel is too much money for that type of system, especially as it is known to jam.

If you get the Stryfe, LMK how it is. All I've heard about it is that it needs a mod on the ammo sensor to keep it from jamming.

There's been better luck today with the suction darts, they apparently need some breaking in. Since I've had them sitting on my desk they've been the most convenient ammo to grab and it only took about... 8 reloadings for them to finally start sticking regularly, I think? It's still too much of a disappointment, there's no point to requiring a break-in period. They still require a very straight shot which isn't a guarantee, but any angles and they're definitely just going to fly off. So unless you can get them for free it does seem wise to avoid them.
    That's good to hear that they're actually working, but I'll heed the warning against buying them.

I keep meaning to pick up the Hammerstrike but I don't make it over to Target much, especially after the hacking controversy. I constantly forget about it, 'out of sight and out of mind,' so it's never come up as an opportunity buy.
    Get it, it's worth the trip. It has been on sale several times, even BOGO, so keep an eye out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I picked up a 10-pack of Mega darts awhile back due to having a decent coupon so they've just been hanging out, hardly getting used since the Magnus is a bit bulky for a simple desk shooter. So, in curiosity, I put the Mega dart against the tip of a dart sticking out of the Sidestrike and found that the Mega dart's hole is just big enough for a normal dart to squeeze in there. I pushed the Mega dart all the way to the edge of the barrel and even though it's only about a half inch's worth of dart within dart, the hold is pretty decent.

Of course, had to fire it.

Surprisingly it's only the rare shot that doesn't go well, for the most part they're consistent in getting across my room (about 12 feet) like that. For some reason it works best putting them on the blue elite darts rather than the ZS green darts, which doesn't make sense to me. It almost reminds me of grenade launchers that get mounted to the barrel of rifles, so there's an option if you want to fire Mega darts from a pistol without using the Magnus - or are just incredibly bored.
    Ha! Funny stuff.

Spied a few new Nerf pieces at Target.

The Mega Bow, this thing is unholy oversized.

The Demolisher 2 in 1 as well as a 3-pack of extra missiles for it.

A multi-pack of Zombie Strike Mega Darts with a syringe-like printed design (basically, you're "injecting" the zombies with cure, I guess) to go with the Zombie Strike Mega Magnus blaster 2-pack that's been out a little while.

The Zombie Strike Slingfire, this looks ok but the lever looks pretty thin and small compared to the rest of this beast.

Zombie Strike Longshot, this thing is a lame re-release, apparently it doesn't even have Elite upgrades, so it's a repainted version without the barrel extension.

Zombie Strike crowbar with mask, there were others in the small melee weapons series (ax, chainsaw, hammer, bat) but the crowbar cracked me right up.

And the Zombie Strike Doublestrike for $10, which I bought. The Doublestrike is another hammer-draw blaster but this time in smaller scale than the Hammershot, it's basically the Derringer version. The colors and painted logo are very Zombie Strike, but the sculpt is less of a mishmash than most new-sculpt blasters for the line, with only the "rag-wrapped" handle sculpt to really have it stand out as part of the zombie system; the rest of the look is a bit of a modern Derringer 2-shot with a bit of a .38-special to it. In fact, the size and large trigger guard definitely remind me more of a .38 revolver, which is an interesting idea for this series. The 2 barrels fire independently just like the Triad instead of firing both at once, making the hammer design more worthwhile than a single-barrel would be. It's also got a tac-rail on top, albeit an extremely short one. All this would be great, except just like the Hammershot, the Doublestrike is not terribly accurate and has a similarly slow rate of fire; and unlike the Hammershot, the Doublestrike has no hammer-fanning action. The real frustration however is unique to the Doublestrike: cocking the hammer can cause the dart to advance out of the barrel enough so that it won't fire... what the fudge?!? Sure, if you prime it carefully it's fine, but in battle how likely is that to happen? The Triad doesn't do this, the Jolt doesn't do this, what blaster does this when you use it CORRECTLY? That is the behavior of not cocking it fully on any other blaster so when you are doing it wrong, but here it fails when you're doing it right - and that's a darned shame. It's a fun idea and for around the house not a bad blaster, but it could be so much better.

Quick update:

Some Target stores are clearance-pricing Nerf N-Strike Elite dart refill packs, and their Cartwheel app also has a 15% off Nerf dart refill packs, so yesterday I picked up a 30-pack of Elite suction darts for $4.25 and a 75-pack of Elite darts for $8.50.

The Elite Darts pack comes with 60 Elite darts and 15 Elite darts with "Elite" deco, silver foil paint that looks like this: <<< ELITE

The Elite suction darts are interesting, which is to say they are a mixed experience just as you warned me. The darts hit and you can actually hear them stick, but they carry so much momentum that they immediately pull themselves back off. I went through the whole set twice and a handful about 10 times, still not broken in as much as I'd like, I'm only getting about 3 to stick and stay, and only on the big window and the vertical blinds, with 1 more staying on the front door. I wonder if these would work better out of an older blaster, I should check that out, but for now it's the Hammershot and Strongarm, with the Double Strike as boredom set in.