Disney Parks Star Wars Land construction begins 2016

This made the news yesterday:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...ction-in-2016/

Construction begins next year.

In Anaheim, Disneyland will be removing the Big Thunder Ranch and some backstage areas to get that 14 acres of Star Wars land, making this the fourth current land off of the hub and fifth ever (New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Toon Town are the others, the underwhelming Holidayland that was taken out in the '50s was the first one ever off the hub). Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like the Disneyland Railway will either have to be moved or run through the land (or run through a tunnel separating it from the land) as it currently runs right through that space.

I was at the D23 Expo presentation announcing the details of the land, the land is going to be an all-new planet designed specifically for the parks, it'll have 2 major attractions including a Millennium Falcon attraction, and all the shops and restaurants will be in the land's "story". Here, you can be the guy right behind me with the camera and watch the whole announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWoFSbft3OU

In the meantime, both parks will be getting Season of the Force overlays based on what they've learned from Star Wars Weekends in Florida, special events, SW Launch Bay, an overlay on Space Mountain, and Star Wars fireworks.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So, Toontown stays?

That's a bit surprising. It's based on a grownup movie from a quarter of a century ago. My kids know Roger Rabbit, but I can't imagine he's wildly popular with most kids. And the only other actual ride is based on Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers.

Both rides are cool, but the area is kind of a waste otherwise.
    That's my jacket!

Where "text" & "friend" are (n) & "fail" is (v)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So, Toontown stays?

That's a bit surprising. It's based on a grownup movie from a quarter of a century ago. My kids know Roger Rabbit, but I can't imagine he's wildly popular with most kids. And the only other actual ride is based on Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers.

Chux, Chux, Chux. So narrow-minded you are. Clearly, Disney realizes the power of JAXXON, and how easy will it be to change one rabbit to the other!
    From Star Wars Episode VII: the Broadway Edition... FN and the Amazing Technically-Poe's Dream Jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So, Toontown stays?

Toon Town stays, and I suspected they wouldn't gut it, it was expensive to put in, the only land (until now) beyond the berm. Keep in mind, it's billed as "Mickey's Toon Town", so it's not like Roger Rabbit is the star of the land, they have full houses for Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy. They used to have a 3rd ride, the Jolly Trolley which now sits in the middle of town, chained to the ground; it is weird that they haven't put in another attraction since (although technically, Goofy's bounce house is another attraction). I think Toon Town is neat, a fun concept, but it needs another attraction, it could rework some of that space better, and needs characters in the actual town rather than just Mickey in the barn. Maybe a theater.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Blog Entries
    I hope Big Thunder Mountain and a lot of the western themed stuff stays. It's a favorite of mine. I want Hoth for Star Wars.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Big Thunder Railroad and everything Frontierland south of that stays as it is, it's only that area north of Big Thunder Railroad, behind it, at - or just off - the walkway from Frontierland to Fantasyland that's changing. I hope they keep the pond with the mine train tunnel, I find that such a nice, serene spot. But we're losing the Big Thunder Ranch with its animals and the old western ranch house, the BBQ next door, and the western round up stage area behind those.

Maybe we'll get Darth Vader on horseback riding through Frontierland though, that'd be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Big Thunder Railroad and everything Frontierland south of that stays as it is, it's only that area north of Big Thunder Railroad, behind it, at - or just off - the walkway from Frontierland to Fantasyland that's changing. I hope they keep the pond with the mine train tunnel, I find that such a nice, serene spot. But we're losing the Big Thunder Ranch with its animals and the old western ranch house, the BBQ next door, and the western round up stage area behind those.

Maybe we'll get Darth Vader on horseback riding through Frontierland though, that'd be fantastic.
    Too bad about losing all that. : progress?:

I can see Luke on a Tauntaun, or Capt. Tarpals on a Kaadu, a Stormtrooper on a Dewback, or Obi-Wan on Boga!
    From Star Wars Episode VII: the Broadway Edition... FN and the Amazing Technically-Poe's Dream Jacket.

Yeah, it's a shame to lose that stuff, even if it wasn't a massive draw.

I think it'll be easier to get Vader and Stormt.... oh my goodness, how awesome would it be to have a Star Wars-themed wild west show in Frontierland?!? Characters on horseback shooting old timey weapons, having showdowns, stormtroopers getting thrown off the awning of the Golden Horseshoe, Han Solo ambling into town for a showdown with Boba Fett... if only.

JT, if they were all dressed in McQuarrie production art costumes... :joy:

The dance team at my school has performed on that stage several times. When they do, I have often accompanied them on the school's behalf and gone "back stage" with them. For those that are unaware, Disneyland has an epic back stage access port directly adjacent to that part of Frontierland with a very deep underground system of tunnels leading to the staging area in their back lot where all the performers are corralled prior to and after their sets. We always have to sign agreements not to photograph anything while we are there. I can't wait to go during the construction phase to see whatever I can.