Hybrid View

Nerf Weapons of Mass Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    To me, you can get a sniper rifle look from a pellet rifle at WM, and it's FAR more accurate. Nerf is fun for fantasy style guns like the Maverick and Recon and Raider and even the Vulcan - despite it being totally insane.
    I think the Vulcan is what my nephew had on Christmas. Shortly after I arrived I hear this noise, and then see a barrage of nerf darts landing at the bottom of the stairs.

Congrats on the birth of your son Morpheus!

My son got Nerfed this Christmas. He got the Raider CS-35, the Longshot, the capture the flag set, and both Wii nerf games. I told him the only rule was don't shoot your sister (who's 2) and you can shoot me, my wife and the dog as much as you want. Needless to say he shot his sister last night and lost all his guns. Four days was longer than I expected.

If you get the Raider CS-35, make sure to follow directions. My son thought he could put it together himself and it took me an hour to undo what he had done. The drum magaziine is easy to load and takes less than a minute to load all 35 shots. The round flys off even faster. Pump it once and hold down the trigger, and pump till all hearts content. I haven't tried the sticky darts, but I think they would get stuck. You can load the sticky darts into the longshot clip, and use that clip in the Raider, but then you would defeat the purpose of having a gun than can shoot 35 shots in under a minute. The sticky darts do occasionally get stuck in the longshot clip.

I perfer the longshot due to the duel weapon option. However, the second gun has to be reloaded after every shot. But its easy to separate (unless your left-handed).

My haul:
    3-D Simpsons globe puzzle
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side
    The 2009 Hallmark Star Wars ornaments
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days
    Rascal Flatts tickets (which my sister won)
    Halo 3 mongoose

I'll probably use my Christmas money to get a new couch, Republic Heroes, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and Force Unleashed Sith Edition.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Dude, that is some serious Nerf your boy got! I hope he's into it, especially now that he's had it all taken away.
    My mother bought it all for him. She thinks Christmas is for shopping. I have two childern and my sister has four. We had Christmas at my sisters and her dinning room set had to be moved out of the room because of the amount of presents my mom bought.

How old is your son? I hadn't heard it requires great assembly, just the drum adapter and then the drum (and optional stock), what did he do? Glad to hear it's easy to load, even better that you can rapid-fire it. I may have to buy it after all, I'm putting it on my Amazon list to watch for a price drop.
    He's nine, but he doesn't read directions. In fact I never saw them. If you force the drum into the adaptor before the gun is cocked, you can jam it pretty bad. Then he tried to unscrew the gun to get it out. That was the majority of the trouble. The rapid rire is cool, but you have to keep pumping to fire.

I'm kinda blown away by the Raider's drum and pump-action rapid fire you just mentioned. If the Longshot had a higher-capacity clip, I probably would be digging it more than the Raider because I do like the modularity of it with the Recon.
    You can add the drum to the longshot, but no rapid fire.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Well, I can kinda see why the suction darts aren't approved for the Recon and Longshot, they don't load into the clips right, the dart heads are fatter than the dart bodies so when you load multiples in there, they start to angle upwards at the front. This doesn't strictly prevent the suction darts from working in the clip, but I suspect this will cause more jamming than regular darts, when I tried whistler darts, they jammed on the first try.

That said, the Drum magazine could either allow suction darts fine or not depending on how it chambers the darts, but the problem with clip alignment wouldn't be an issue from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I'm really hoping they release the drum magazines separately, but if you do get the Raider later you could just toss the drum mag into the Recon, and the regular mag into the Raider.
    I suspect they will hold off as long as possible on the separate drums, it's not like releasing a $10 pack of clips and streamline darts. So if I get the raider, that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Well, I thought you meant something more active, like these guys.
    Wow, no. That must have been bizarre to be an unwitting spectator on.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    My mother bought it all for him. She thinks Christmas is for shopping. I have two childern and my sister has four. We had Christmas at my sisters and her dinning room set had to be moved out of the room because of the amount of presents my mom bought.
    Geez, that's a lot to get a grandson all at once.

He's nine, but he doesn't read directions. In fact I never saw them. If you force the drum into the adaptor before the gun is cocked, you can jam it pretty bad. Then he tried to unscrew the gun to get it out. That was the majority of the trouble. The rapid rire is cool, but you have to keep pumping to fire.
    Oh man, that's pretty bad. The Recon doesn't allow you to load its clip before cocking, so I can see how messed up stuff can get there. Poor lil guy tried to take it apart, I remember trying stuff like that at that age and having the springs pop out and confound me. You're a good guy for getting it back together.

I figured that's how the rapid fire worked, not a problem for me, I like the pump action gimmick.

You can add the drum to the longshot, but no rapid fire.
    Yeah, not surprised, the Recon is the same way.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Geez, that's a lot to get a grandson all at once.
    My mothers the type of person who believes the more stuff she buys you, the more they love you. She and my grandmother are the same way. They put a set price amount on what they spend on each person, and even if they run out of reasonable things to buy, they still spend the quota.

[FONT=Courier New]I'm back at my desk after the long holiday break. We gave everybody at work 2 four day weekends and I was gone the 3 days in between.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Here's my Christmas haul. It was a big Star Wars Christmas for me:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Marc Ecko SW Hoodies: X Wing Luke from my wife and Stormtrooper version from her folks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Hasbro Force FX TPM/AOTC Obi Wan lightsaber from the wife.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- LEGO SW Tantive IV set (wife).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- R/C R2D2 in my stocking (wife).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- LEGO store gift cards from my brother and from wife that I turned in to get a LEGO SW ARC-170 and a LEGO SW Freeco Speeder.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Homemade stuffed Bantha that my wife made.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Nerf Reactor gun from my sister's husband.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- TRU gift card from my FIL/MIL.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A "homemade" car kit from my wife with napkins, tissues, bottled water, candy, soda, etc. to keep in my truck.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A tiny little hot dog keychain that my wife knit for me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A Benchmade 14800 HK OTF knife from my wife's brother (a couple weeks before Christmas).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]My wife definitely spoiled me this year and it was an all around great Christmas.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]As for the ongoing Nerf discussion... Right before Thanksgiving, our local retailer Fred Meyer had a huge sale on toys and I got 2 Mavericks and a Recon to have around the house. I definitely like the Recon, but I prefer the Maverick to it. But now that I know the Longshot and Recon parts are interchangeable, I will definitely have to get a Longshot the next time it goes on sale.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I plan on getting the Raider this month after I get paid again. I like the drum magazine and reading on here about how it fires "automatically" as you pump it is a huge selling point.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I got the Vulcan last year for Christmas, but the darn thing jammed and then broke after playing with it (read: shooting my wife with it) for only 10-15 minutes. It's the only time I broke a toy (or had one break on me) ON Christmas Day. I took it back to Target and got 2 GH Cinema Scenes instead. I think I got 7-8 Cinema Scenes last Christmas between gifts and after Christmas spending.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Happy New Year, my friends.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

The Maverick is hard not to like. I almost bought the clear version I saw at WM a few weeks ago, and I have ZERO use for another one right now after buying my mom and my niece one over the last few years.

Wow, broke it on xmas, that's a good one!

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Maverick is hard not to like. I almost bought the clear version I saw at WM a few weeks ago, and I have ZERO use for another one right now after buying my mom and my niece one over the last few years.

Wow, broke it on xmas, that's a good one!
    [FONT=Courier New]Yeah, that Maverick is a solid shooter. We gave one to each of my brothers as gag gifts (TRU had them for $6 and change Black Friday weekend) and they loved them![/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Yeah, it sucked and I felt horrible for breaking something my wife had given me but she was totally cool about it and I felt better when the CSR at Target showed me the other broken one they'd gotten back earlier in the day.[/FONT]

That bantha is rad!

Back on Nerf, something I meant to mention earlier. The streamline darts not only look good in the Maverick, but they fly a little faster too. This is because they don't quite fit, they're a little snug in the chambers, which seems to add a little more "oomph" to the firing action. I'm actually getting better aim with the Maverick than the Recon on them in terms of distance.

That bantha is rad!

Back on Nerf, something I meant to mention earlier. The streamline darts not only look good in the Maverick, but they fly a little faster too. This is because they don't quite fit, they're a little snug in the chambers, which seems to add a little more "oomph" to the firing action. I'm actually getting better aim with the Maverick than the Recon on them in terms of distance.
    [FONT=Courier New]Thank you! I really like it and I am very proud of my wife for coming up with something like that all by herself.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I bought a refill pack of streamline darts with 2 clips when I bought my Nerf guns and they work really well with the Maverick and that Maverick is literally and figuratively the best bang for the buck.[/FONT]