Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast
    So, I got the Alpha Trooper as a late b-day gift, but it's possibly a lemon? The pump action is very unreliable and I have to slam AND hold the foregrip forward in order for it to feed through the darts properly, which is mostly fine on slam-fire but very annoying for individual shots in which I let go of the foregrip and hold one-handed or hold it by the base of the barrel. It's very common for the foregrip to slip back a little after loading a new shot which makes it not **** properly. Generally when that happens, even if I slam it forward again, it slips back a bit. If hold it forward then it will **** it but it will have very weak pressure to it. Has anybody else experienced this with their Troopers? It doesn't seem to be too rare of a problem according to google, but I haven't seen it mentioned in reviews. I want to take it back, but I'm worried that won't help as some people have picked up two at a time and both had the problem. Plus, even the closest Target is a long drive.

Upon analyzing it compared to the Recon, though, I bet the muzzle was originally supposed to be modular. The Raider and Barricade both have unique muzzles, but the Trooper's is strangely just too thin - but the Recon barrel can fit onto it. It just can't lock. I think originally the Trooper was supposed to be a larger gun, and its strange barrel shape was supposed to match that of the base of the Recon's barrel, so it could take it. But, for some reason or another, they scaled the gun down slightly. This seems most evident by observing that the handle of the Trooper and the Recon are the exact same design, but the Trooper's is slimmer.

The scaling down probably made the muzzle too thin to accept other barrels and was prone to easy breakage, so they took away the extra layering that had the notches for the barrel attachments to lock into, thus why it's so close in appearance to the modular muzzle. Between the cocking/loading problem and realizing it has such lost potential, I'm very disappointed with the gun. I still like the design... but I don't know. Should I try to exchange it for another or just get my money back? Or, try to go through Hasbro's customer service?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Oh, you mean the Jolt? It's a funky yet fun little gun. It's a bit smaller than the Secret Strike, and yet it shoots better than those Reflex pistols. When I first saw pictures of it I didn't think it was real since it was so far removed from the design aesthetics of the N-Strike stuff, and yet I was really interested in it for the very utilitarian design - which I very much enjoy. Since I had the Secret Strike and Reflex, though, I wasn't sure about getting it but a week ago I was at K-Mart and it was the first time I found it. With a $5 pricetag there, I wasn't going to grab it but it had been a disappointing trip until that find and my Mom found some stuff to buy, so I went ahead and, well, pulled the trigger.

It turned out to be pretty great! It has a hefty pull on its charging handle which seems to be due to some decent spring power to it; despite being smaller than the Secret Strike, it fires harder than the Reflex. It also sounds more impressive than the Reflex when firing. Overall, this would definitely be worth $3-4, but at $5-6 it's only really justifiable if you can compare it to the disappointment of the Reflex and Secret Strike - or really, really need a Derringer type of pistol. It's not the most comfortable to hold due to a lot of straight edges, but it's decent enough for quick usage and it's certainly more comfortable than the Secret Strike, which can be difficult to grip reliably; or the Reflex, which is uncomfortable with the two lower fingers dangling freely. It's also much easier to reliably aim given the full grip and the sights on top.

Also, as a birthday present I got the Target exclusive Magstrike AS-10, which turned out to be a far more enjoyable gun than I thought it would be. It's incredibly awkward to handle, but once you can get the thing pumped to full pressure (which is difficult to determine, it should have a gauge like past Super Soakers) it has an impressive sound and feedback to it as it cycles through its clip*. It's really kind of like a blowback feature, but without anything actually blowing back. It's just really cool to see the clip rise out of the top - although it's difficult to enjoy at its fullest potential since it's very difficult to do a single shot. It's best to be prepared to empty the clip in one go, which was okay with whistler darts but made awesome with suction darts (similar to the Barricade, really).

It's just such a strange design, though... It seems like it's designed to be complicated for looks, and yet when you really examine how it works then it actually seems like a minimal design. Kind of like function over form over function, in which it's designed to have the simplest casing around its feature, and yet its design is stylized and not too friendly for comfortable handling unless you stick with one hand. It's pretty much pointless to shoulder the paintball-inspired stock since it just makes it more strange to hold as you try to find a comfortable place for your second hand. Just a very awkward gun, yet it's so incredibly fun to fire a volley of 10 suction darts at once. The Barricade is fun with that as well, but the Magstrike's rate of fire is so quick that it's almost more of a shotgun effect. Although, I think if it weren't an exclusive gun then it'd be only $15, so it's overpriced and certainly not something you'd want to wield as a primary. It doesn't have spare clips available, it takes 15+/- pumps to get a full charge, and the lack of a reliable semi-fire just doesn't make it a worthwhile primary weapon - but I swear if you had this as a back-up that it would scare the daylights out of whoever receives its full volley. Just too bad you can't have it slung behind your back as it lacks sling mounts. Oh, and the rail is useless because it's something like 1-2mm too thin and anything mounted on it easily comes loose.

*- This is the only Nerf ammo holder I feel could actually be called a clip due to it being more the nature of an actual clip rather than a magazine. Even though it has to house the darts somewhat in order to keep them secure, they more clipped in rather than stored within, like a magazine. Actually, it kind of reminds me of the M1 Garand clip, especially given that it is practically ejected when emptied (it just doesn't fly out). Kind of ironic given that it's the Magstrike while the guns fed by magazines are referred to as clipshot.

Btw, both Target and TRU are having Buy-One-Get-One 50% Off sales that Nerf counts in, and TRU.com has the bonus pack Raider with spare drum magazine available again at $28.
    Yes, the Jolt is indeed the one I meant. It really shoots better than the Secret Strike or Reflex? I wonder if I should get it instead of the Star Wars DC-17.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Magstrike. It looks way too awkward for my arsenal due to the shape and the pump reservoir, but I liked the idea behind it. That's crazy that they got its tac rail wrong though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    So, I got the Alpha Trooper as a late b-day gift, but it's possibly a lemon? The pump action is very unreliable and I have to slam AND hold the foregrip forward in order for it to feed through the darts properly, which is mostly fine on slam-fire but very annoying for individual shots in which I let go of the foregrip and hold one-handed or hold it by the base of the barrel. It's very common for the foregrip to slip back a little after loading a new shot which makes it not **** properly. Generally when that happens, even if I slam it forward again, it slips back a bit. If hold it forward then it will **** it but it will have very weak pressure to it. Has anybody else experienced this with their Troopers? It doesn't seem to be too rare of a problem according to google, but I haven't seen it mentioned in reviews. I want to take it back, but I'm worried that won't help as some people have picked up two at a time and both had the problem. Plus, even the closest Target is a long drive.

Upon analyzing it compared to the Recon, though, I bet the muzzle was originally supposed to be modular. The Raider and Barricade both have unique muzzles, but the Trooper's is strangely just too thin - but the Recon barrel can fit onto it. It just can't lock. I think originally the Trooper was supposed to be a larger gun, and its strange barrel shape was supposed to match that of the base of the Recon's barrel, so it could take it. But, for some reason or another, they scaled the gun down slightly. This seems most evident by observing that the handle of the Trooper and the Recon are the exact same design, but the Trooper's is slimmer.

The scaling down probably made the muzzle too thin to accept other barrels and was prone to easy breakage, so they took away the extra layering that had the notches for the barrel attachments to lock into, thus why it's so close in appearance to the modular muzzle. Between the cocking/loading problem and realizing it has such lost potential, I'm very disappointed with the gun. I still like the design... but I don't know. Should I try to exchange it for another or just get my money back? Or, try to go through Hasbro's customer service?
    Yes, return it, the Alpha Trooper doesn't behave like that, it's a VERY easy one to use usually.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Yes, the Jolt is indeed the one I meant. It really shoots better than the Secret Strike or Reflex? I wonder if I should get it instead of the Star Wars DC-17.
    I forgot all about those DC-17s, it's kind of surprising they didn't seem to have any sales on those this season. But, yeah, it's definitely better than the Reflex. I'd say the Secret Strike nearly shoots about the same if you pump it enough, but the Jolt has a tighter barrel which I think is giving it a better seal and thus gets a bit more power to it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Magstrike. It looks way too awkward for my arsenal due to the shape and the pump reservoir, but I liked the idea behind it. That's crazy that they got its tac rail wrong though.
    Yeah, that's why I wasn't going to pick it up. Plus, they've never sold spare clips for it so it's very limiting. It's apparently had the rail on top ever since it debuted for Dart Tag in '04 or '06, so I'm wondering if they had to re-cast it for N-Strike and it ended up slightly off because of that.

Yes, return it, the Alpha Trooper doesn't behave like that, it's a VERY easy one to use usually.
    Oh ok, thanks. Since Target is a bit of a pain to get to lately I checked with Hasbro's customer service and they'll be replacing it. The post office shoooouuuuuld be much easier to get to, I'm just waiting for word on whether or not I may be able to keep the drum magazine.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

Glad Hasbro is going to make-good. I was allowed to keep my busted blaster, drum mag and all, but that was on a blaster I suspect was notorious for failure - usually they want everything back. But good luck, hopefully you'll get to keep yours.

Oh yeah, forgot to update that they told me to send in the gun and the drum mag, but I got to keep the darts. I'm just waiting to get it back, hopefully it won't take too long.

The Rayven appears it'll be coming out soon, estimates being the end of January at the latest. Wal-Mart already has it on their site, though no price announced yet: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nerf-N-Str...aster/19592177

Sorry to hear you didn't get to keep the drum mag, but at least you got the darts.

Interesting on the Rayven. I'm still curious about the price, I suspect $35 based on it being 2 battery systems, but the blaster being too small to compete with $40-range blasters like the Stampede.

I received the Nerf Dart Tag Swarmfire for xmas, but haven't picked up the 6 C batteries it's hungry for yet. The blaster is WAY nose-heavy, even before it swallows those batteries, and it's almost silly-big. It has no tac-rails, it does have a removable stock but uses a custom system (and the blaster becomes entirely unwieldy without the tiny amount of balance that stock adds). The grip is a little obnoxiously-raked, it's so far forward that it weakens the wrist holding it. The darts are a little shorter than the streamlines, this is my first experience with them, they're pseudo-velcro and surprisingly they whistle better than whistlers (I tried them in my Maverick). The blaster's face holds all 20 darts on 2 circles that staggers darts inner and outer, and I think it's a hammer w/ plunger system that is big enough to hit both the inner and outer holes. Anyway, hopefully later today I'll have the batteries and can give a firing report.

I think you're right on the money there, this shows up on google shopping search: http://www.rcgonow.com/hasbro-nerf-n...-hsb34069.html

So, maybe about $35 at Wal-Mart and such?

Also, this is completely unrelated to the Rayven but it's very strange. Over the past few weeks there have been Pinpoint sights popping up for sale from sellers in Malaysia, but they have their box packaging rather than the mission kit packaging that the previous releases had. Oh, and they charge generally about $60 for them, or $50 + $10 shipping. But, it was only the occasional one and now they're really starting to show up in larger numbers. Here's the most recent auction, which even only wants $55 instead of $60 per each one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nerf-Pinpoin...item3f11c47318

Other auctions have shown the packaging is just a box and the sight is held in a plastic tray. Do you think this is evidence that the pinpoints are being produced again and leaked, or that this is likely a bootleg production?

First off, I just saw the Rayven at Target Culver City, it was $30, and in a small enough box that it generally would be a $15 to $20 blaster, so my fears were founded. I couldn't "pull the trigger" (heh) on that price, but I did carry it around for a while thinking about it.

I did however buy the 16-pack of glow-in-the-dark Streamlines for $5 which were on pegs above it and in the same packaging style (N-strike but darker). The GITD streamlines are WAY nicer than the previous GITD darts, these have white bodies and heads, all of which glow instead of just the head (the old darts - suction or whistler, I think, I have a pack around here somewhere - had stickers to go around the bodies so they'd glow). However, without the Firefly to light them, you have to leave them out (or hit them with something that puts out a bit of UV light, such as a strong white-LED flashlight) and make sure to charge the backs or else the fun is pretty much lost when the shooter can't see them. They don't glow all that brightly, to be honest, even after well-charging them, and they don't hold much glow. If you were to add a blacklight to the play environment however, they'd probably come alive in a significant manner.

As for the Pinpoint, I would imagine it's a new push by Hasbro. Today alone at TRU I saw the Big Bad Bow, the Unity Power System, and the Firefly, all of which are pretty darn old. And why not? They're barely supporting N-Strike right now with new product, the old products aren't moving as well so there's no need for exclusivity on accessories.

I saw a bunch of Jolts at TRU La Cienega today, I almost bought a few on B2G1, but I'm so broke from xmas that I held back. They weren't at the 2nd TRU I went to a few miles away, oddly.

Back to the Swarmfire I got, I finally found some C batteries in town (they are sold way down for xmas, I guess) at a non-psycho price - it's WAY front-heavy now, and the stock is a must as this thing is a wrist-breaker without it. The grip and stock are way more similar to the N-Strike Longstrike than I had realized (except this stock is removable and doesn't hold clips), but that's a friggin' sniper rifle while this is pretty much the opposite. Firing is fairly quick, about 2 darts per second, and often a quick trigger pull will either not fire at all or fire 2 shots at once depending on where the gearing stops, so it's not ideal for single-shot use (although it's not terrible here). Distance is middling using the included darts at straight, at best we're talking 15 feet to a 5' drop, but as with many Nerf dart guns, a little ballistic arc drastically affects range, though I'd still say it's a 25-footer at best using dart-tag darts. Accuracy is alright for a gun with no sights, not too much variance or wobble. It's no worse to reload than any other NERF gun that uses a lot of darts, but since it's not a removable mag in any way, it's pretty useless after its 20, which is a bit of a bummer for something this big. Annoyingly, it's clear that Hasbro COULD have made the entire face removable, you could carry multiple faces full of darts and just snap them onto the center spindle instead of leaving it screwed down - based on the info I've seen about modding it, Hasbro would have had NO trouble getting that system to work, but for some reason the NERF team seems a tad lazy (and it's possible they don't exist, being culled from other teams).

The biggest annoyance on the Swarmfire, even before the single-use nature and the weight and the lack of distance, is that the Nerf Dart-Tag system uses longer dart pegs than N-strike, so it cannot shoot Streamlines! While the tag-darts are comparable to other micro-darts in size and shape, I guess they're not carrying a weighted peg into the body where Streamlines do, so at best you can only get them to dribble out. Conversely, tag-darts work fine in the Maverick and any blaster that doesn't use clips or drums.

A little update on the Firefly Streamline darts, they have a fatal flaw: the backs CAN'T glow! The center cores and outer portions of the dart body glow, but the backs will not glow no matter what you put on them - I used an LED blacklight and they still wouldn't react. The surface of the dart body seems to have a unique texture to it and feels a little stronger than regular Nerf darts, the interior also, I suspect that's from the chemical that makes them glow, but I suspect the foam nature of the extruded backs doesn't have enough surface area to emit any noticeable light. Without glowing backs, what's the point of having GITD darts since you, the shooter, can't see them flying? That is a let-down for me. They're the same price as regular Streamlines and fire fine and have a nice white color instead of milky green like most GITD items, but it's still not as cool as it could have been.