Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    That's very weird, you'd think they'd glow all over. Maybe the production process has them secured at the end when the chemical is applied (though I would've figured it would be mixed in with the foam)? At least they sound worth getting for the white appearance, I was a bit concerned that they'd have a green tint as you noted with other items. Of course, the Whiteout series (especially the Longstrikes) seem to have dried up, so no idea if I'll have that reason to get them.

Kind of nice to hear that the Rayven is only $30, although there was a video (I can't find it at the moment) where someone laid a Recon without stock or barrel added to it and the Rayven was only about 1" longer. That's a pretty small gun for $30, especially since its tech was only last used in the $15 Barricade. I guess it makes sense that the magazine costs $15, but... I really wish they had just made it a separate release. The Rayven would be a much welcomed replacement to the Barricade. Can you believe that thing has 6 separate releases, so far? Maybe 7? I don't know if it's part of Target's clear series yet. I really, really, want it but it's definitely a wait for a good bonus pack or a sale.

Thanks for the detailed info on the Swarmfire, it's one I've been very curious about. The design struck me as a very scifi-ish design and thought the darts firing off of a spinning head would've been great - but the weight sounds terrible. It sounds like it'd be a killer on the wrist, and for little payoff for the automatic fire feature compared to the Stampede. I'm curious if they'll be keeping it around once its little brother is released?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Target had the Magstrike on clearance last night for $11, but I passed at the time, and now I'm rethinking it.

Since the cores glow as much as the exteriors, I don't think it's a coating, there's no reason or even an easy way to coat the insides, so I think it's the flaw of the foam ends, which are aimed the wrong way being perpendicular to the flat sides. It is a real oddity though. But they do look good in white. It's odd that there's 16 in a pack when the Rayven holds 18 though.

I am tempted to go to Target and buy it today, they're having a buy a blaster, get a pack of darts free, which I could then apply against the ones I bought 2 days ago, making the Rayven $25. But the Rayven is so small and I am pretty darn broke now. Plus, I really don't like that you have to hold down a trigger just to get the flywheel going, then hit the main trigger to fire darts, that turned me off to it a little. And this photo says way too much about the size against the pricepoint: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H7F5Yojr-7...n%2B-%2B24.JPG I know it's based on a PDR which is intentionally a small format for submachine guns, but the pricepoint doesn't bear this out too well.

It does look really cool with a 6-shot clip though, and with the Recon's barrel and a pinpoint sight: http://sgnerf.blogspot.com/2011/12/n...review_25.html

The Barricade has never interested me in the least, I don't like the concept or design, but the fact that they have pushed out so many in so short a time is very surprising. It's such an unattractive blaster and so convoluted and expensive for a blaster that was supposed to inherit the Maverick's place.

Sure thing on the Swarmfire. I saw its little brother, the SpeedSwarm, at Target, didn't realize it was new. That blaster looks like JUNK! Who names such a slow blaster Speed-anything?!? The Swarmfire's rate is faster, way more satisfying, and doesn't need so much rev-up time. Assuming Dart Tag doesn't just die out this year, I suspect the Swarmfire will have quite a few years left at market, it's fairly new. Hasbro seems to do Nerf in pricepoints and stick to those until a new one at that pricepoint replaces it, so until a better $30
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Saw the Rayven recently at Target for $32.99... yeah, that's not gonna happen for awhile. I really think it should have at least come with a new modular barrel.

Had quite a shocking find tonight: a Whiteout series Longstrike. I haven't seen them since the holiday shopping season really began and was concerned I missed them for good, and it was the only one on the shelf. Fortunately, had just enough on a gift card to grab it. Pretty nice gun, and I'm glad I went with the white version as it really stands out in my collection aside from just being the tallest.

Also, got my pair of ammo cases in the mail finally. They're smaller than expected but still pretty nifty, I was hoping to fit my pair of Raider drum magazines in one box, but no dice. Just another quarter inch all around would've done it, I think. On the brightside, I'm able to fit all three of the Stampede's extended mags, two regular mags, and two Alpha drum mags (picked up another individual drum mag at Target recently) without having to force anything. Annoyingly, however, they don't quite fit 300 darts. About 225 is the comfortable maximum that it can hold, which is still significant but it says 300. I suppose 300 might fit if you wanted to spend hours neatly stacking them in one at a time, though.

If anyone's been wanting a Vortex Nitron, Walmart has a bonus pack available that comes with a spare 20-round magazine which seem to only be available with the Nitron at the moment. http://www.walmart.com/ip/NERF-Vorte...-Pack/17254797
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

Wow, 2 of those reviews on that WM link were so bad, how exactly is it the toy's fault that your dog ate one of the discs?!?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm not sure about Target or TRU, but all the Wal-Marts around here have adjusted the Rayven price to $25. Much more fitting. Makes me more enticed to pick one up, but I'm still waiting on some sort of value/bonus pack.

Apparently that boxed version of the Pinpoint sight that has been showing up on ebay for several months is part of a promotion in Singapore where it's free with a Nerf purchase, but not available for sale by itself. http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com/2012/...o-version.html

I'm envious. I still want one.

I finally picked up a Jolt, it's VERY good, and I'm glad it has whistlers because the Jolt's quiet mechanism finally makes it easy to hear whistlers whistle (my first-gen Maverick is so loud that it covers it up). The Jolt reminds me of the Noisy Cricket from MIB. My mom dropped by my place and liked it so much that when Target stocked it in their Easter treats area, she immediately bought it. The Jolt's distance and accuracy are great with the Firefly darts too, you can see them glowing THROUGH the barrel, and I finally can see them glowing from the back as they are fired.

As for the Rayven, I saw it at Target yesterday still at $30. $25 is getting closer to reasonable, but I am hoping to see it for $20 - I've grown somewhat cold to the design due to the awkward flywheel-trigger layout. I could still be swayed though, but at $25 it'd have to wait until next month as I've spent too much this month.

Nice! Yeah, the Jolt continues to be a great little pistol. I have to wonder if it was a testbed of sorts for the upcoming N-Strike Elite line, which they boast a 75 foot range for. I doubt, of course, they'll really be capable of hitting that, but as long they're similar or better than the Jolt then that should be cool.

Speaking of Target, it looks like their site has the Rayven at $25, plus they offer a limited $5 coupon code: PAKXTB65

So, not bad, as long as you have another $30 worth of stuff to get free shipping.

I hadn't heard about the N-Strike Elite, just saw it on the Hasbro Nerf site, looks like it's cobbling together parts from the existing N-Strike line with a new core launch system (because that dart cgi looks exactly like a streamline). The Jolt I doubt is a testbed though as it's painfully simple, just a plunger and spring. To defeat that 35' distance ceiling, they'd need to change both the dart and the air delivery system considerably. I suppose they could remove the air restrictor cores of the darts, that would create a bigger pressure-catch, and that might add weight and balance to help carry it straight farther. I certainly don't see how a long-barrel N-Strike rifle like that one shown in the Elite video will go longer than the Jolt though, those barrels bleed off your distance. Still, nice to see they haven't abandoned N-Strike and its rail system.

Interesting find on the Rayven for $20, too bad it's online-only as their shipping kills those savings unless, as you mentioned, you keep spending to get free shipping.

The Rayven went on sale for $25 in-store at Target from the 25th through the 31st. I don't know about the $5 coupon situation though.

TRU was selling the Rayven clip with glow darts, and a clear 18 clip with 18 Elite darts - $20 and $13, respectively. I saw those sets at Target as well, but can't be sure of the price as I wasn't paying that much attention.

TRU is currently having a bogo 50% off sale going on for all Nerf.

TRU also today had the Elite line's new entry-level blaster, the Triad EX-3, so I bought it. The Triad was $8 and is clearly the Jolt's big brother, at about 40% bigger but the same general layout. The chief difference however is in the name, it has 3 active barrels in an upside-down triangle configuration. The Triad is a single-fire weapon however, and knows when a barrel is or isn't loaded, firing in an anti-clockwise fashion after each plunger-pull, while avoiding empty barrels. The Triad uses all darts except classic streamlines, which have the internal tip-core that keeps the ends from engaging the barrel-check system, but if there's any other kind of dart in one of the barrels then it can fire classic streamlines loaded into the other 2 barrels at the same time, giving you 2 streamlines and an Elite all firing at once, albeit at reduced power since it's sharing that firing across 3 darts. The ergonomics are scaled-up from the Jolt until you get to the top where it gets much bigger since it's holding 3 darts and a barrel-distribution system at the chunky back. There is a well-defined "iron sight", no N-strike rail system. Plunger pull on the Triad is longer and a little easier than on the Jolt, but has no release holes so dry-firing causes a slow return. Pulling the plunger will vacuum-load whistlers and dart-tag darts, but for some reason it won't seat the Elite darts (it'll partly seat the #2 barrel's dart, upper right). In terms of pocketability, where the Jolt fits nicely, the Triad pushes it to the edge of almost not fitting.

All in all, the Triad is a very good update to the Jolt, you get 3 shots in a palm-sized blaster using the Jolt's excellent plunger-grip design. I don't have any other Elite blasters to compare the Triad to, but on its own its an impressive entry indoors, I'll test it outdoors later.

Since the sale was BOGO50%off, with the Triad I also picked up a 30-pack of the Elite darts - my first foray into this world. I just found out that the 30-pack is $3 cheaper at Target while the 18-clip is only $2 cheaper, dangit. Oh well. Anyway, the Elite dart is the same exterior dimensions as the Streamline, but the tip is what makes it different - the tip is a harder rubber, and has no internal core running into the body of the dart. I tested the Elite vs the Streamline in my first-gen Maverick, the Elite had better range but not better punch. The Elite darts fly farther from the Triad and Jolt than they do from the first-gen Maverick, I did not observe any difference in flight / speed between the Jolt and Triad though. The Elite darts fit in Dart Tag guns, my Swarmfire now has something to shoot that isn't velcro, but performance in the Swarmfire with the Elite darts is no more impressive than a regular Streamline in a regular N-Strike blaster, which is to say middling - still: 20 shots, no waiting. My Stampede, Raider, Alpha Trooper, and Recon are currently behind a bunch of boxes so I haven't tried the Elites in them yet.