Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    My son got the hail fire for Christmas. Not a bad weapon, but it has some problems. First the gun only comes with 4 clips which makes the gun hard/impossible to hold when they are all on one side. They make a upgrade kit, which luckily his uncle did. Second, the clean out compartment doesn't "lock". I put the gun together, installed the batteries, and the gun wouldn't fire. I looked all over for a problem, almost broke the thing, and ending up taking it apart and putting it back together before I realized that the clean out compartment door wasn't shut.

He also got one of those disc guns, I can't recall which one. Warning, those disc sting when hit in the face...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Yeah, the Hailfire looks like a really odd design, it doesn't surprise me that it's hard to wield and assemble, but it does surprise me that it's hard to use. I gave the Hailfire 4-clip upgrade kit to my cousin's 2 late-teen sons to bolster the Alpha Troopers I got them, we were checking out the back of the box showing the Hailfire and discussing how odd it was.

Man, the Vortex disc blasters are not popular around here. They do sting like hell though, I shot myself intentionally in the leg to compare it to the regular Streamline darts and they are nasty thanks to the thick rubber core frisbee type design.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Elite stuff, but it seems like a slew of new blasters are making their way out to stores. The one I've seen the most so far is the Stryfe, which is basically a magazine-fed Barricade. Or, a non-bullpup Rayven. Which is apparently being repainted and released under a new name but still with the firefly magazine gimmick.

I'm not sure if it's due to that impending repaint or if it's just a clearance of the N-Strike stuff, but tonight my holding off finally worked out and I picked up a Rayven for $9.50 on clearance at Walmart. Pictures cannot properly translate how tiny the Rayven is, it doesn't even feel as hefty as the Recon in pistol form. But, after getting used to the size, I've found I like it quite a bit. It was a pleasant surprise to find that it's not nearly as loud as the Barricade and it seems like it has a more consistent fire rate.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The Elite Rayven's name is unchanged, still the Rayven CS-18, just now in the "N-Strike Elite" brand and dress. Apparently it runs glow elite darts, and they want a whopping $40 for it on HTS so perhaps they upgraded the flywheel system to work stronger a la the Elite springs in other blasters.

Awesome pickup on the Rayven at that price. Is it really as tiny as you say, or is the bullpup design making it feel smaller? The point of bullpup is to make a weapon's footprint smaller, after all. Smaller than a nude Recon is brutal, the Recon is lighter than the Maverick. Is the flywheel trigger a dealbreaker or acceptable? I keep looking at the blaster but its high price and flywheel design are offputting at full price.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The Elite Rayven's name is unchanged, still the Rayven CS-18, just now in the "N-Strike Elite" brand and dress. Apparently it runs glow elite darts, and they want a whopping $40 for it on HTS so perhaps they upgraded the flywheel system to work stronger a la the Elite springs in other blasters.
    Ohh ok, I didn't expect that. Since the Recon and Raider were renamed I thought the name of that was still pending. I haven't seen it on the HTS site, but, really, $40?! That's just insane. The Stryfe is practically the same gun with more capability given its modular points, and that's only $20. So... they're offering two very similar guns, and the major gimmick (the firefly magazine) of the pricier one is available separately. It's nice to have the bullpup or standard option, but what a ludicrous mark up even if it will shoot further.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Awesome pickup on the Rayven at that price. Is it really as tiny as you say, or is the bullpup design making it feel smaller? The point of bullpup is to make a weapon's footprint smaller, after all. Smaller than a nude Recon is brutal, the Recon is lighter than the Maverick. Is the flywheel trigger a dealbreaker or acceptable? I keep looking at the blaster but its high price and flywheel design are offputting at full price.
    I think you're right with the bullpup design throwing off perspective. The height is about the same as the Recon and it's longer than the nude Recon by about 7", which is all its stock/magazine well. However, its thickness is more comparable to the Alpha Trooper, especially with the pistol grip. It does feel much lighter, even with the batteries in the gun and magazine, but I think that's because the weight is more spread out and pushing backwards into your shoulder rather than all of it being centralized above/in front of your hand.

As for the function... I'm enjoying it a lot and it further shows how much of a waste the feature was/is in the Barricade. I was concerned that the flywheel button would stick out too much and make it feel awkward, but it's not obtrusive at all. Plus, you can single-handedly empty a full 35 round drum. Granted, you can do that on full auto with the Stampede but that sucker is a bit too heavy after awhile when trying to only use one arm. Plus the consistent WHHRRRR (which, unlike the Barricade, is muffled due to being deeper within the gun) is preferable to the Stampede's sewing machine KA-CHINGKA-CHINGKA-CHING.

By the way, for anyone interested in picking up the Hailfire, I saw a couple value packs that include four more magazines, pretty much saving you the $20 from having to buy the additional kit. It's tempting to get it due to the convenience of getting all the magazines you need at once, but the gun just seems so awkward. If you're going to look for it, the easiest way to notice is that the value packs have "Walmart Exclusive" stickers on the front.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

The Stampede doesn't like either of the current drum mags, it jams with them where it doesn't with clips. Originally the Stampede was designed to work with a new 50-round drum but that was scrapped, possibly because it didn't work right with the blaster.

So the warm-up time on the flywheel isn't an issue for the Rayven?

The Hailfire kit is 4 more 6-shot mags and darts, from what I read yesterday, which IMO is not worth the effort. If I'm going to have such an unwieldy, ridiculous weapon, it's surely not going to be sporting those little mags, what's the point? Yeah, it's 48 darts, but at what cost?

The Stampede does okay with the 35 round drum mag, I haven't tried the 18 version yet. It kinda of jams on occasion when you're just holding down the trigger for several shots, but just let go of the trigger, then pull it again, and it's fine. I haven't encountered a jam that required removing the drum mag and clearing out a dart.

The Rayven doesn't seem to need as much warm-up time as the Barricade, I only wait 1-2 seconds before firing. Thing is, whether you wait a few seconds to a whole half minute isn't going to matter, the accuracy past 8-10 feet is nonexistent. I think the bullpup design is slightly detrimental to the already iffy accuracy of flywheels since the darts aren't as stable, so it has more barrel to potentially rub against on the way out.

It actually gives a positive point to the Barricade which has a meager inch or two of barrel for the dart to pass through, so the darts are far less likely to hit the sides of the barrel on the way out. I hope we'll see either a pump-action bullpup design someday, or something like a bullpup Stampede. I think either one would be more reliable in terms of accuracy than the flywheels.

Saw a new Elite blaster at Walmart tonight called the Strongarm. Similar to the Maverick except longer and with a much smaller cylinder, although it did still hold 6 darts. Used slam fire, cylinder rotates after the shot instead of before. Design is a little weird, big gap between the muzzle and the cylinder, and so wasteful to have such a small cylinder with slam fire when it could have held 8 or 10 just as easily with a slightly bigger cylinder. No price in the system yet, box was open and roughly same as Maverick, I would have bought but wm with no price is a waste of time.

I believe it's supposed to be the replacement to the Maverick, but I think it misses the point of it. People seemed to like the Maverick so much since it look like a combination of iconic gun elements making for a fun exaggerated weapon that happened to be a good Nerf gun, rather than just a good Nerf gun that looks like a cool Nerf gun. The visibility of the darts certainly doesn't do it any favors.

It really seems more like an Elite update to the Spectre than the Maverick, especially with the separation of the rail and charging section. Although, at this point they may as well have left a rail off since there's such a lack of accessories in the Elite line. There's a new foregrip - yay.

They did an Elite repaint of the pinpoint red dot sight, but it was only offered as a freebie after buying a certain amount at Singapore TRUs. Hope we'll be seeing some new mission kits at some point.

The more I look at it, the clearer the Maverick elements are, they used the same type of slide, grip, even the curved bulge behind the cylinder calls back to the Mav.

Your point on the visibility of the darts in the cylinder is so true, that really look away from it when I saw it in the store, reminds me of a knockoff dart blaster more than an N-Strike. Also, yeah, it does feel like it's trying to be an update from the Spectre in the wrong ways.

I'll probably still buy one, the only Elite I have so far is the Triad, which is fine but not fun in that way.