Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Have you ever gotten laughed at in the store?

....I found all of the CW Series #3 at Target one day, in addition to some other figs I didn't have. When I got to the checkout line I think I had 11 figures in total, and nothing else. This couple a few people back of me were kinda whispering and chuckling, but I took no mind of it, thinking it was an inside joke, but then I heard the woman go "do you think he's going to go home and play with all of them?" and then they laughed. I usually don't let stuff like that get to me, but I have to say it was embarrassing. So much in fact that I actually stopped collecting for a while, and when I finally got back to it I now have a habit of hiding my figs under other stuff I'm buying or if I find a big score of 5 or more figures I buy some and hide the rest and get them the next day. I know it's stupid, and I was of the thought that "hey, my wife thinks its cool and so do I, so who cares", but man it really got to me. Has this ever happened to you guys?

Re: Have you ever gotten laughed at in the store?

With Star Wars, no. I might get stares, but no one ever mocks me for it. I'd like to think it's because I look intimidating, but probably not. Now my Power Rangers collecting is a different story, because people have it fixed in their head that PR is for five-year-olds and they like to ask in an irritating singsong voice "Are those for you?" I just let it roll off, because I really don't care what other people think of me. If they're making fun of you for your hobby, it's just a show of their own immaturity. It sucks that we have to put up with ignorant buttmunches like that, but that's life.
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red][I]Knightfall: Star Wars Stockboy Supreme[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff][URL="http://www.xanga.com/red_megaranger"][/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

I think part of my problem is that I'm only 24. A lot of us collectors are in our thirties and forties or older, so maybe some cashiers and customers figure its for our kids or whatnot. Not me - when I go to the counter with Star Wars toys they know who its for.

24, eh?

I'm 17.
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red][I]Knightfall: Star Wars Stockboy Supreme[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff][URL="http://www.xanga.com/red_megaranger"][/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Knightfall
    24, eh?

I'm 17.

Ha! No wonder you collect Power Rangers, it was the hot thing when you were growing up. 17? Good lawd, how did you get into Star Wars collecting? When you were a kid was when SW was DOA.

Never gotten laughed at, but have gotten quite a few stares from kids when I snatch up what I want and what they want too. I had a stack of 14 figures one day and a kid went to look at them to get what he needed and I told him they were mine. He looked like his puppy died when I said that.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

How did I get into Star Wars? To be perfectly honest: Muppet Babies. Really! I guess it was already in reruns when I saw it, but the frequent use of Trilogy footage got me interested in seeing the movies that the cool black-armored guy came from. I've been a fan ever since. The first toys I ever got were the Justtoys Bendems, and when POTF2 came out, it was truly one of the defining moments in my childhood.

I don't recall ever being embarassed while purchasing toys. If that thought ever crossed my mind all that I have to do is remember that it's both a hobby and passion and it doesn't cost nearly as much as some other hobbies. Take stamp collecting, would you really spend $1,000,000 on a piece of paper with some glue on the back, or baseball cards. I don't want a piece of cardboard with the picture of some dead guy on it, especially if it's gonna cost me $20,000 now that's something to be laughed at about. From time to time everybody let's other people get to them but what gets me through is that I put it in my mind that I'll probably never see that person again so if I look stupid in their eyes for a second it won't matter.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Sorry, but I would have to think a 17 year old collecting Power Rangers was strange also. I see my cousins PR crap and that's what they are, Crap.

The only time I was laughed at was EP2 midnight madness. A mother, father and a few kids walked out and said something like, "Oh that's what SW geeks look like". A few choice words were about to come out, but I really can give a flying Fock what other people think about me or what I do. Just as Mr. PR shouldn't care what I think about his collection.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I went through a period through high school and years after where I felt a little embarrased about collecting. But as I got older and wiser and finally got that mature self esteem thing going, I just stopped caring all together. The reality is everyone has some type of fetish or vise. For some people its cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, sex, sports, whatever.