Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    That's not how it works. All one has to do is look at films like the Wizard of Oz.

It doesn't matter how old the film is, as long as it uses actual movie film stock.

And regardless of the film stock that was used, it's still going to look better when presented in HD.
    Well...

I hear they painted the grass green for "The Sound of Music" and while it looks fine on the big screen, and DVD, in the Blu-Ray version it becomes painfully obvious.

I'm just sayin'

May the force be with you.

well i'm a new guy chiming in here, but i'm happy to see the films getting a blu ray release, i thought though that lucas would have released the films again theatrically, with all new special editions for each of them, including the prequals, he's not one to miss making a buck on the movies, so i'm surprised this hasn't happened first.
    as a new convert to bluray, i can see the difference in quality from dvd to blu, older films not so much unless they've been remastered, but it is an improvement, i got burnmed upgrading last time from vhs to laserdisc just as dvd came out, hopefully bluray will last a bit longer

I didn't say a higher resolution won't look more like the potential of film, since a higher number is, by definition, closer to infinity. I said that the resolution of an image on film is dependent upon the equipment used to capture the image.

If I took a picture in 1860, it's simply not going to be as sharp as a picture taken using the highest quality film camera available now, aside from deterioration. I can digitally touch up the picture from 1860 to make it look just as good as far as the human eye can tell, but, somewhere along the line, it ceases to be the same picture and becomes a facsimile. Even for the most minor improvement in quality, there's some judgment involved.

An old movie, even a poor-quality one, can be made to look gorgeous, but there's a point (and different people will have different opinions on where that point exists) where restoration ends and re-creation begins. That's why I said "fake HD," even if it's not the best terminology for what I meant, which is that the films weren't made in HD due to technological limitations.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

But they don't need to be made in HD. As they're already higher resolution than HD.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Not to get off the subject, but I gotta say, that was a sweet cut scene. Its too bad they couldn't have kept that in the movie.

Sorta robs the reveal of Luke's saber being launched from R2-D2 and ignited on the Skiff though.

I was not(am not) at CV...ROTJ scene aside...does this mean the lost Anchorhead scenes are finally being released in some format other than CD-ROM? Hope so!
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Quote Originally Posted by jonthejedi View Post
    I was not(am not) at CV...ROTJ scene aside...does this mean the lost Anchorhead scenes are finally being released in some format other than CD-ROM? Hope so!
    Most likely. They said never before seen deleted scenes would be on the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Sorta robs the reveal of Luke's saber being launched from R2-D2 and ignited on the Skiff though.

It probably does, but I like the "I'm gonna kick Jabba's ***." feeling I get when he ignites his new lightsaber. Opinions will vary on this, of course, but I really like it and it would've been really cool seeing this in the original cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    It probably does, but I like the "I'm gonna kick Jabba's ***." feeling I get when he ignites his new lightsaber. Opinions will vary on this, of course, but I really like it and it would've been really cool seeing this in the original cut.
    Well, it was apperantly a very last minute deletion. Which is why it has completed Special Effects.