Hybrid View

Anybody collecting unpunched cards?

As per my Comic-Con interview with Derryl, these Vintage Collection cards are designed to be able to be collected unpunched if you're really, really lucky to get them before they're put out on pegs. The design includes 3 little tabs inside the punch to keep it in place without tearing the rest of the card face off when punched out.

That said, having seen these first hand, they are EXTREMELY fragile and some are showing up at stores with the punch having already fallen out before the case is opened. This makes unpunched cards pretty darn rare, but an exciting collectible.

Here in earthquake territory, I'm not even going to bother, but I applaud anybody who gives it a shot.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wouldn't they basically have to admit to being scalpers, for the most part? Not in all cases (pun always intended), but most.

I have no desire to do this, never have. My cardbacks can be dented or even slightly creased, as they'll be opened anyway.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Wouldn't mind having unpunched versions since the large hole in the card doesn't look right to me - I've obviously been spoiled by companies integrating the peg hook into working with the design aesthetic. It sounds too expensive and too much of a hassle, though.

I was thinking about just trying to order online, mostly in case form, but it seems even that's not a guarantee if they're likely to fall out just from being jostled around. Heck, even in a protective case they'd have a chance of falling out during something like a move, so what would be the point?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Wouldn't they basically have to admit to being scalpers, for the most part? Not in all cases (pun always intended), but most.

I have no desire to do this, never have. My cardbacks can be dented or even slightly creased, as they'll be opened anyway.
    Huh? Scalpers sell the figures to other people for markups. People who collect unpunched cards would be doing so for their own collections. I don't see the correlation.

I hadn't considered those who buy cases directly. I was only thinking of those who swipe them all from the boxes before they make it to the pegs, or make deals with the stores before they even make it on the floor.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I hadn't considered those who buy cases directly. I was only thinking of those who swipe them all from the boxes before they make it to the pegs, or make deals with the stores before they even make it on the floor.
    When these first hit TRU the stocker offered to go pull out cases and let us get any figures we couldn't find on the pegs or figures/cards in better shape, he was pretty cool about the whole thing and was offering the same for all the collectors.
    May the force be with you.

Yeah, asking stockers can be the best way, but the relationship between stockers and customers has become really strained over the last decade. Still, it's 1 way to get them. I never even considered the scalper angle.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.