Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

When did it become socially acceptable to bring cups of coffee everywhere?

I ask this because I see people with cups of coffee (the disposable kind of cup) freaking everywhere! With my job I spend my days in grocery stores and I see people with coffee that they brought in with them all the time! WTF!?!?!? The one that really got me was the other day I was at my local library and I saw a woman and her child with coffee cups. AT THE LIBRARY!!! Since when can you bring liquids into... well anywhere!?!?!? Am I the only one who doesn't get this "phenomenon?"

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't get this "phenomenon?"
    Yes, yes you are. Now where the hell is my venti white chocolate peppermint mocha?!?

When did it become socially acceptable to bring cups of coffee everywhere?
    January 12, 1992

Clearly you've been out of this loop for a while. Personally I hate coffee will only drink it occasionally, so I'm not part of the new/old social norm.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

[FONT=Courier New]Venturing a guess that it was when Starbucks started charging $4.00 for a $0.50 product. I personally don't drink coffee and I think the last time I even had coffee was when I worked a graveyard shift job in 1996.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I still go into Starbucks around the holidays to get hot cocoa and a cookie when I am shopping downtown for Christmas gifts, but I refuse to use their beyond stupid names for small, medium, and large.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I actually once was able to walk into a movie theater with my hot cocoa cup from SB's without anyone saying anything to me. I actually didn't realize it until I was at the top of the escalator and heading towards the auditorium. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]This was the same theater where I was once told by some dork assistant (to the) manager that I couldn't bring my large soda (from "outside") into the building. I left it on his stupid little podium instead. He wasn't happy.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I should rephrase my statement. I agree that SB has changed the 'coffee culture' in this country. When SB finally came to Green Bay (inside a Barnes and Noble) people flocked there to be seen drinking overpriced ****** coffee.

My point was when did it become OK to walk into places of business with liquids? You couldn't do that when I was a kid. Where I went to college there were signs posted in the library saying NO LIQUIDS were allowed. Expense or not I just don't get it.

Probably at the same time it became acceptable for people to take their dogs into stores. Coffee in public irritates me. Dogs in public enrage me. Nothing against dogs, but they do not belong in grocery stores or any other type of store unless they are service animals. People have allergies to dogs that can be triggered by being within a few feet of them, unlike coffee.

My thoughts are that it started when even the managers of most places were making so little money that they don't want to argue with customers, and they let dogs and coffee slide, until now it's past the point where they could do something about it if they wanted.

I look forward to the day when my kids watch that old Charlie Brown movie (Come Home, Snoopy?) and are shocked that Snoopy isn't allowed in every building he sees.

As for the coffee, I prefer the cheap stuff, so long as it's strong. I put so much sugar and cream in it, it doesn't really matter what sort of "quality" it was to begin with. I just wish all the fast food joints that used to have good, cheap coffee hadn't hopped on the Starbucks bandwagon.

goi cuon
    Tommy, close your eyes.

[FONT=Courier New]I meant to say that I think it became okay when people started overpaying for coffee and they started serving it in disposable cups with lids. Not because of Starbucks, but more along the same time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]When I was a kid (b 1977), people didn't do that around here, either.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]As our culture has become more and more "on the go" with access to technology, news, customers, etc., people almost literally do not have time to sit and relax, ergo... Coffee everywhere you look.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I wouldn't say it's "okay" now, but just more accepted.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]It's never really bothered me. I sometimes will go downtown or out shopping with my wife and grab a soda (bottle or fountain cup) and carry it with me (disposing of it properly of course), but if there's a posted sign, I will oblige and stay outside the store or throw it out early.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Yup, a cup in one hand, yapping too loud on the cell phone in the other hand, or a hands free ear piece, so they talk even louder, but the advantage is they can now hold a cup of coffee, the dog leash and yap on the phone, while their little yappy dog is barking too

I for one welcome this custom. Without my coffee I would be much more unpleasant than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Probably at the same time it became acceptable for people to take their dogs into stores.
    DOGS INTO STORES!?!?!? I (don't think) I have seen that one with the exception of Pets Mart/pet stores. I thought you were going to say something along the line about people driving with dogs on their laps, yeah that is not a distraction at all now is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    When I was a kid (b 1977), people didn't do that around here, either.
    We're of the same 'vintage' Ando, maybe we are thinking alike on this one since we're now cranky old men.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282
    I for one welcome this custom. Without my coffee I would be much more unpleasant than normal.
    And that reminds me of that stupid "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" commercial that McDonald's had earlier this year. Man did that grind my gears!