Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Crickets that are wondering whether we've just witnessed the beginning of the downfall of Arnold Rothstein.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hmmm....not so sure about that, yet.

I'd like to see more of a story develop with the Harrow siblings! There's got to be a bunch of deep, dark secrets there!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

The man's only got four years to live, and, IIRC, he was on a bit of a downward spiral his last few years. Just saying, the man in the poker game last Sunday is not the Arnold Rothstein we saw in Season 1.

I have this crazy feeling that if the show goes through 1928 (which I don't doubt it will), we might find out a little more about a certain notorious unsolved murder. And that it might somehow involve a bug-eyed guy from Atlantic City who sounds a lot like Randall from Monsters Inc.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Nooooooooo! Not Eddie!

"I wouldn't put something alive in a box." Holy crap, that must be the best foot-in-mouth comment in TV history, and the subtle but noticeable responses from both characters were Emmy-worthy.

I'm actually thinking about this season what a lot of people said about Season 2 or Season 3: it's good, but it's progressing rather slowly. I like it, but it seems like it's getting padded more than a little. The Tampa subplot doesn't interest me much. I actually can't stand the "tough broad" stereotype bartender whose name I can't be bothered to remember. The only good thing about this subplot is the potential repercussions of Meyer and Lucky (well, until he was caught) going behind Rothstein's and Masseria's backs.

It didn't help matters that there was nothing about the Capones, Van Alden, or even Gillian last night. The return of Harrow to Atlantic City almost made up for it, and I eagerly anticipate where that's going, but the balancing act between the various characters hasn't been managed as well in Season 4.

I hate Valentin Narcisse. But it's in the same way I hated Gyp Rossetti. He's a great "villain." I want him to be put down like a rabid dog, but it's fun to watch him. (I can't help but think that since he's based on an historical figure, but they changed his name completely, he's doomed.) I'm noticing a lot of major parallels between that subplot and the main plot of Season 2: Chalky (like Nucky) is practically undisputed as the top of his game, when an external force (Narcisse/the Commodore) turns his right-hand man (Dunn/Jimmy) against him. I'd actually be a little disappointed if it plays out the same way. I love Chalky; he's one of the best characters on the show, easily. But resorting to almost the same plot would be lazy. It would be more interesting to see how the African-American underworld operates in a post-Chalky world, where Narcisse seems to have no interest in exercising direct control, and Dunn certainly doesn't have what it takes to pull it off. Not to mention no one knows how Dunn would deal with Nucky if there was no Chalky, particularly with the racist Narcisse pulling his strings. (Yeah, it's not reverse racism. It's the same whichever way it's pointed.)

I was a bit disappointed with Chalky at the end of last night's episode. I always thought of him as having a strict code, even if it's a twisted one, and seeing his family as the most important thing in his life. Of course, she totally seems like a plant from Narcisse, and he's let his guard down, so I think he might be building some bookcases soon.

The best part was what seemed like it should be the weakest: Eli, Mickey, and Agent Knox. Mickey's alternating between throwing out jokes and being scared to death of Eddie's room was priceless. And Knox thinks he got what he wanted from Eli in an unwitting informant, but the bit with the handkerchief seems to indicate Eli might secretly have the upper hand. (Who the hell is "JTM," by the way?)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Good sir, that is a Pulitzer Prize-winning post!

I can only add that Chalky's four word description of Narcisse was another classic moment for his character. I was taken aback by the writing of those lines.

The little revelation about Knox and Gaston Means last week threw me for a loop. As did Hoover's taking credit for Knox's theory, and Knox's reaction. At this point, I have no idea where this is all going, but it sure looks promising.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, I have a feeling the great Michael K. Williams will not be returning next season.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Well, that played out the way I hoped, but not the way I expected. A bookcase was most certainly not being built this evening.

Wonder how long we'll have to wait to see if Eli nodded or not.... I'm thinking not, but, then again, he may be more loyal to his son than his brother.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm on the fence about Eli. I, too, am hoping he will see that he was only trying to be helpful with Willy and remains loyal to Nucky.

Hoping to see Van Alden unleashed next week!

In any case, Eli knows for certain that Knox is not the hayseed he seems.

Also, a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me the real Gaston Means was tried and went to jail in 1924, the year Season 4 takes place. I cannot help but think that this will play a major role in Knox's subplot.
    Tommy, close your eyes.