Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

4th Annual 2010 SSG October Halloween Horror Movie Challenge!

Welcome to the Fourth Annual (2010) SirStevesGuide
    October Halloween Horror Movie Challenge!!!

All members are encouraged to participate!

[FONT=Verdana]This challenge will begin October 1st @ 12:00am and will end October 31st @ 11:59 pm.[/FONT]

Here is a link to the 2007 challenge.
    Here is a link to the 2008 challenge.
    Here is a link to last year's 2009 challenge.

The rules are simple:

Watch any feature length horror movie between the month of October (1st-31st) and post your results here; with each entry including the day watched, the movie's title, and listed in numerical order. This is the basic format, please see the example below. Feel free to add your own comments about each movie watched, the year it was released, who starred in the film, and other miscellaneous information, if you so desire.

The qualifications are fairly flexible, with the only requirement being that the film is a horror movie in some aspect, whether it be a straight up Horror Movie (like Halloween), a Horror/Comedy (like Shaun of the Dead) or a Sci/Fi Horror movie (like Alien). There is definitely some flexibility here; common sense should be used.

Example:

October 1st
    1. Halloween [- (year) - comments, etc, if you want!]

October 2nd
    2. Shaun of the Dead [- (year) - comments, etc]
    3. Alien [- (year) - comments, etc]

That pretty much sums it up. Most of you should be familiar with these challenges by now, but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, the challenge will start on October 1st (@ 12:00am), in just a few days, and will run until the 31st. Any movie started before 12:00 am on the 31st, but ends thereafter, will count!

Have fun!!!

"That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Watched only 15 movies last year, will try to do better this time around.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Yes! I've picked up a few new horror movies (classics and newer) to watch for this year's festival!!

I'll start this weekend.

Same here....been kind of lackluster the last few years, but will try my best to do better, especially with Netflix at my disposal.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I've always wanted to post my list for October, and have had fun seeing what everyone else is watching, so this year I'm going to do my best to make a (somewhat) respectable showing here. I've picked up a few of those HORROR COLLECTION- 20 Classics of the Macabre!!! collections, so I've got plenty of BAAAAD movies at my fingertips...

10/1: Misery (1990) - it's been so long since I've seen this...so when I saw it was on TNT the other day, I figured it was a good start to this year's challenge. Nice blast from the past here...I certainly enjoy it more as an adult than when I was a kid. This movie could also double for the Oscar challenge since Kathy Bates won for Best Actress.
    10/2: Let Me In (2010) - saw it in the theater last night, what a FANTASTIC film. I've not read the book, not seen the first foreign film edition, of course I'm already reading some criticism for this movie not being as "good" as the film or Swedish film but I don't care, I thought this was AMAZING. I highly recommend it.
    10/3: Survival of the Dead (2009) - I listed 2009 since that's the official year of release but I think of it as a 2010 release. I wanted to see it in the theater but it didn't play around here. I thought about paying $8 to watch on Time Warner PPV but decided to wait for the DVD, which we picked up last night (a few weeks after it was released).
    My review is so-so, I enjoyed watching it and thought the story was interesting but as for the execution of it, it's clearly a step (several steps) below Night, Dawn, Day, and Land. However, it might be better than Diary (which I know isn't saying much to most fans) but I'll need to watch it again to form that opinion. We got the 2-disc edition which is cool because this is one of the few franchises where I'm interested in all the Extras.

10/1: Splice (2009) - Adrien Brody, Sarah Polley - Surprisingly good piece of sci-fi horror; weirdly compelling, cool effects, good performances and a few interesting twists on the Frankenstein/Dr. Moreau nightmare of DNA manipulations gone way bad. Cool film.
    Highly recommended, seek it out.

10/2: Predators (2010) - Adrien Brody, Alice Braga - Better than expected but pretty much a by-the-numbers genre flick. After 4 flicks and umpteen years, the Predators are about as scary as say, annoyed Teletubbies... I think Ridley Scott's smart to redraw his Aliens for his Alien reboot. We found it inferior to the Arnie original but fun enough to be worth a rental.

10/3: The Expendables (2010) - Not a horror flick but it was the most horrifying piece of crap we've seen in years. Stallone should be dropped into a Sarlacc for this botoxed piece of steroidal abomination. Abysmal.
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

October 1st
    01. The Return of the Living Dead
    (1985) [DVD] - Looking back, I can't believe I didn't get around to this one last year. This is easily one of my favorites - knocked it out of the way early this time! Burt and Ernie - 'nuff said!

October 5th
    02. Bubba Ho-Tep
    (2002) [DVD] - Haven't seen this one all the way through in years and had to watch it this time around. Very cool movie, love what Coscarelli did here. The music is outstanding as well!
    03. The Mist (2007) [Blu-ray] - I think this was only the second complete viewing for me, but either way, I love this movie... and I love to hate Mrs Carmody. Ugh. I know the ending was received with mixed emotions, but I like it. Good flick!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl VayDar View Post
    I've always wanted to post my list for October, and have had fun seeing what everyone else is watching, so this year I'm going to do my best to make a (somewhat) respectable showing here. I've picked up a few of those HORROR COLLECTION- 20 Classics of the Macabre!!! collections, so I've got plenty of BAAAAD movies at my fingertips...
    Welcome to the challenge! Glad you decided to participate.

UKW, I'm in it for the long haul this year.
    I love The Mist, love love love it. Only saw it that one time in the theater but wanted to watch again ever since. The ending was awesome, better than what I heard was in the book.