Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Star Wars - Officially coming to 3D!

As per the Official Site:

Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the live-action Star Wars Saga will be converted to 3D! There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive. Presented by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd., the cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level, with Industrial Light & Magic supervising the project. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is expected to be released theatrically in 2012. A release date has not yet been determined.

"Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right," said John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic. "It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For Star Wars we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."
    Y'know, due to the long wait and so many setbacks, I was somewhat sure this was never going to happen. I don't love 3D, but I don't inherently dislike it either; I have more of a beef with how it's used, I suppose. Either way, this should be pretty sweet, even though my opinion on this has gone back and forth. At any rate, having the films on the big screen again will be great.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Sorry to hear it's not Episoide IV coming out first...oh well.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Gotta be honest, I'm not interested. 3D gives me a headache and generally looks bad. The only bits I'd be interested in dealing with the glasses to see in 3D would be the scenes of Leia in the bikini.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I love seeing the films in the theater. I have not been impressed with the transition of conventionally photographed films to 3-D, but the fun of seeing the OT on the big screen will be too much to resist. Take your kids if you got 'em!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

When I first heard Lucas talk about this at CIII five years ago, I was apathetic at best.

I have a 7 month old son right now. When EI hits theaters in 2 years, I'm excited to take him to this and watch Star Wars through his eyes!

looking forward to seeing the films once again on the big screen and really hoping that the 3D effects blow away anything this out there today.... can't wait... I just hope that it's not a 3 year gap in between the movies again...would love it if this was handled like the special editions and they were released one month after the other... that would be awesome.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2-1B told me they will come out one a year, I don't like that at all. I'd rather have the project delayed a year or two and have the movies come out say every other month which would be similar to the release of the SE back in the 90's. If not every other month then every 6 months tops. If its a 6 year window to release them all who knows what the technology will be like in 2017??? I'm sure the state of the art in 2017 will look much different compared to what it was in 2012.

Having thought of this more, even with my aversion to 3D I'll likely go just so my daughter can see it on the big screen. Hopefully they finally fix the Yoda in TPM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

"How you get so 3-dimensional, eating food of this kind?"

"NOW Look at the size of that thing!"

"That was too closer!"

"How horrid, and totally in your face!"

"... my huge, green, friend."

"If Obi-Wan saw me doing this, after being so thrilled, he'd be very angry."

"And General, I thought you'd be taller and out in the theater more."

"Cover me (and Red 5, and Gold Leader, and Chewbacca), Porkins."

"But with the blast shield down, I can't see the 3-D..."

"At last we will reveal ourselves... more!"

and finally...

"Don't, do that again."
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Any time that the SW films can be seen again on the big screen, I am totally in favor of. Having said that, Empire cannot get here soon enough.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed