Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    As stated on the Official Site:
    Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date -- February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a "galaxy far, far away," Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga's most stunning and spectacular sequences -- from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi.
    Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.
    So February 10 - right in the middle of winter, so hopefully it will do well with the lack of competition. Less than a year; that's pretty sweet!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I wonder if they picked the date because it's a palindrome (2102012)?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I promoted your post to a news article, JabbaJohn.

Personally, I think Feb 10th is a date that will be utterly forgotten by audiences, it'll come and go with little interest. This really needed an early summer release to make a big impact.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I wonder if they picked the date because it's a palindrome (2102012)?
    Aha! LOL!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Can't wait for this. Kinda surprised it's not getting a May release though to be honest.

But hey, the earlier the better. Guess it'll be the big Valentine's Day movie for 2012

Since they're taking their time with the 3-D conversion, it should turn out pretty good.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well, they released the Special Editions in January, February, and March, so it's not unheard-of. Releasing a movie like this in winter should be a good idea since there's very little competition (see: Avatar). Either you release it in early summer as the other SW movies came out and it drowns in a sea of new blockbusters, or you dump it in late summer and nobody goes to see it, like The Clone Wars movie. I do wonder how well it'll do, since TPM is usually on the lower end of people's favorites, but with people taking their kids who weren't around for TPM this should be good.

I'm also glad that they're taking time to do it right. I'm sure it will look amazing.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I am so puuuuuumped to see these films in 3-D! It will make up for every single bad thing that has happened in my life. Literally.

When were the SE's released? They were one a month if I remember correctly but I don't remember what months.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    When were the SE's released? They were one a month if I remember correctly but I don't remember what months.
    According to various web searches:
    SWE4ANHSE: 1/31/97
    SWE5TESBSE: 2/21/97
    SWE6ROTJSE: 3/14/97
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Exclamation

Rick McCallum admits if TPM 3-D flops, we may never see ANH 3-D

NEWSBOT LINK: http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/star-wars-3d-comeback-could-be-limited-one-film-14-06-2011

It's funny that he should say that. I was just reading an article the other day that said 3-D is pretty much over. The last 5 big studio efforts that came out in 3-D had significantly lower draws than the 2-D counterparts when shown at the same cinema.

Quite honestly, the prequels are better suited for 3-D conversion only for the fact that they employed digital technology that would allow them to pull the images apart so to speak. But... I'm 100% "meh" on the whole thing.

You know... it's like Madonna (seriously, hang in here with me). When she started, she really set the trends and really blossomed as a pop artist and performer. These days, she's sorta stopped being a trendsetter and is jumping on the current trends (working with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland on her last album) and isn't really connecting with audiences the way she used to.

George Lucas is suffering from a similar thing in that there's really nothing left for him to do with these films, so he's jumping on the bandwagon of current blockbusters and insisting on putting them out in 3-D. He's obviously been met with a lot of criticism and indifference toward this endeavour thus far. Again, not really connecting with his audience. It's a terrible exercise in trying to make money. I think the writing is on the wall and McCallum's statement was a pre-emptive strike to say "this is an experiment" and to save face if it doesn't work. He created all of this filmmaking technology with his crew and set the standard for special effects and summer blockbusters, but it's kinda over now. Isn't it?

Back to popstars, Janet Jackson kept doing this a few years ago when her career was hitting the skids. She released a song to her website, claiming it was a preview of something from her upcoming album. People reacted negative to it and she then backtracked to call it a "gift" to her fans. The song never made it to the album. She did it again a couple years later with the next project (don't order the fruit cup again if an anvil falls on your head the first time?) and it netted her the same result.

3-D, George? I dunno, man... I dunno. TPM might be George's "gift" to his fans. Hmph... no gift at all, really.

So many really important creative people just lose their drive and ability to create fresh and new things. I don't know if it is a product of age or if it is because the well just ran dry, but it happens. I think George is sorta at that point too. The best thing for him might be to go all Roddenberry (put down your blasters, kids) and set guidelines and let other people have a go at this universe. I mean, we got some really awesome things out of the Star Trek universe when Roddenberry just sorta said "here's what I expect and these are the restrictions of how far out you can go". Granted, not everything worked, but at least the franchise still had a lot of fresh talent trying their hands at creating something new and vibrant within the context of that universe.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**