Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tie Interceptor w/ Pilot review

Well, I am fairly pleased with this rerelease. The paint deco is excellent, the redone panels are great, and the overall look is quite good - it also comes with one suck-***** pack-in figure.

I'm not going to get too crazy w/ this review. This is essentially the vintage ship and still has a couple of the same problems, namely: the panels, which fit well into the main body of the ship, but do wobble 'slightly' - not a problem to any real extent, but it is there. The cockpit looks ok, the sticker used for the controls still looks, well, stickery. The body, as we all know, has not be remolded, so the same old batery compartment is there and this is my only beef with this piece - as cool as it is, the previously mention battery compartment kinda kills the look of the new deco (on the wings even, there are newly added clear clip 'thingees' - don't know really how to explain them, other to say there on the top part of the panel towars the back). As a whole, I am quite please with the 'new' Tie Interceptor.

The same cannot be said for the pilot, which I expected to be the same fig but with articulated knees. I was wrong. The main body is essentially the same, with two exceptions: the new neck pin and the new knees with the same boot on both legs. For whatever reason, Hasbro gave this new and 'unique' Tie pilot a very long and thin neck pin which causes the head to bobble about very violently. It felt like it was about to pop off in my hand when I touched it. Hasbro has put one of those rubber band deals around the head in the package to keep it from moving. When you take the band off, it looks like the pilot is having a spasm attack or something. One other problem (on my pilot at least - I could have been 'lucky' and gotten a fatory error fig, but my fig has the same boot piece below the knee. It looks like the same foot on both his right and left leg. On the back of the package, the legs appear to have both right and left feet... I dunno if others are like this or not.

As a whole this is a great ship with another crappy pack-in fig, of which I hope hasbro stops making. Every pack-in fig has totally sucked with all of these exclusive ships.

Well, like you said the figure is just nothing special. I do not have one yet, but because of what I have seen, I am passing on this one. I think that says enough in a review, I am skipping this one.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I'll save my money for the TIE Bomber.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Question

My point exactly, I heard it was going to be the same figure? Any truth to that?

Last edited by evenflow; 08-27-2001 at 04:25 PM.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I wouldn't doubt it...Hasbro puts in zero effort when it comes to the pack-in figures

Actually they'll make the Bomber pilot "unique" by giving him a left AND a right foot.

I can't understand the $30 price tag especially if the only thing making this toy different from the $20 POTF2 TIE Fighter is the wings and the pack-in figure. If it had electronics, then I could see an extra ten dollars. Or does Hasbro actually think that we'd consider this pack-in worth $10?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

My figure does have a left and right foot.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I'll save my money for the TIE Bomber.
    From the sound of Amanamatts review I don't think I'll be buying it as I don't want defective toys!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I have a Three Tie Interceptors and the wings fit nice and snug. My Tie Pilot Heads are all on tight just like all the other 300+ figures I have. I just think you got a bad set.
    It is one of the best Vehicles to date after the Elec. X-Wing.
    I recomend picking up at least one.
    Boba Binks - The most feared Bounty on Naboo.

I was able to get a TIE Interceptor from Amazon before they sold out. I am very disappointed to say the least. Like mentioned earlier, the wings are not secure. They tend to wobble, at least not as much as the TIE Pilot, his head seems like it's about to fall off at any moment.

The B-Wing puts the TIE Interceptor to shame. The B-Wing was an improvement over the original model, not to mention the very nice display box it came in. On the other hand, I don't see the TIE Interceptor being any better than the previous release. The box was awful too.

Until I go on eBay and spend serious some cash on a vintage TIE Interceptor, I'm stuck with what Luke would called, "a piece of junk." If you haven't bought one on Amazon, no use to waste your money on the scalpers. With a letter grade, the TIE Interceptor receives a "D-"

On another note, here are two questions that I haven't seen answered about vehicles...

1) Why does Hasbro still include the battery box when there is no battery? Is it too much trouble to create a new mold?

2) Correct me if I'm colourblind, but I thought the TIE Fighters, Interceptors, Bombers were grey, not blue. Then again I thought the Bacta Tank was blue, not red.