Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    Which Tarkin would you buy as a repack; the POTF2 version or the ROTS version? In my opinion they would both be terrible figures by today's standards as the POTF2 figure has no articulation and is a soft sculpt while the ROTS one would not be accurate. As far as Leia goes, I just bought Slave Leia a few like last year, a small number put into a case assortment would be fine but these could really sit on the pegs like 4-LOM who was also available recently but was repacked on a Vintage card.
    if Hasbro was to give us a Grand Moff Tarkin figure on a Vintage card I would go for either a kitbash of the ROTS mold with the POTF head sculpt (although truth be told I really want an all new sculpted Tarkin with SA and spot on Peter Crushing likeness)

as far as Princess Leia is concerned: while the BAD figure is by far the best Slave Leia to date and yes I have one of her already.... I really want to see her on a Vintage Card. I would prefer the Slave Leia from Last Year on a Vintage card with perhaps the classic throne image or the image of her attacking the skiff guard...

I know we are suppossed to be getting a Sandstorm Leia as well so that will be a nice welcome as well in addition to either the Bespin Escape Leia (please Hasbro make this one) or the Bespin Gown Leia (again please make this one too Hasbro)

as for the AOTC wave... i'm looking forward to getting Peasant Anakin, Peasant Padme, Jango and Zam Wessel. these figures look great and the updated Zam and Anakin are well overdue and needed...they were perhaps my favorite figures shown at CV.

hoping this wave hits roughly around the Christmas Holidays but wouldn't mind if it was delayed for a till mid January so I can save up some $$$.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Which Tarkin would you buy as a repack; the POTF2 version or the ROTS version? In my opinion they would both be terrible figures by today's standards as the POTF2 figure has no articulation and is a soft sculpt while the ROTS one would not be accurate. As far as Leia goes, I just bought Slave Leia a few like last year, a small number put into a case assortment would be fine but these could really sit on the pegs like 4-LOM who was also available recently but was repacked on a Vintage card.
    It would have to be the original (if not an outright resculpt), as it's the ANH Tarkin that deserves the Vintage card treatment, not the "blink-and-you'll-miss him" ROTS one).

As for Slave Leia, the Sandstorm figure is a nice addition to go with Luke, Han, and Chewie, but the card would clearly be a cut scene photo. A regular Slave Leia on a Vintage Card is what is needed to fulfill the wishlist of many of us who never understood why she and Tarkin were never released as part of the original Vintage line.

While on that subject. Beru and Owen Lars probably ALSO deserve such a release, as they were strangely left out during the original run as well.
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

If they really wanted to make fans happy they would take the sandstorm Leia they are planning and put it on a vintage card as Slave Leia and then just leave out the sculpted legs and include whatever the extra pieces are that make it sandstorm Leia. Fans get to complete their sandstorm scene (if they're into that, I never saw the point and passed on the others) while still getting that Slave Leia they always wanted on a Vintage card.

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac View Post
    While on that subject. Beru and Owen Lars probably ALSO deserve such a release, as they were strangely left out during the original run as well.
    Not to keep picking on you here but you think it was odd that Beru and Owen didn't get figures? Come to think of it, it's probably the same reason Tarkin never got a figure: they don't do anything cool. Owen is just grumpy, Beru has like ten lines and all Tarkin does is bark orders. I think that the line originally had no idea how successful this all would be and wanted to stick to the most exciting characters. Old people are boring! Unless they have a lightsaber.

I think even today, Tarkin would have to see a limited run, after Needa sat on the pegs for some time I get the impression kids don't need an officer corps for their Star Destroyer. And my point before about Tarkin was that a rerelease just isn't feasible. The ROTS figure wasn't great and isn't a good likeness of ANH Tarkin and no one would buy the POTF2 version, it's gotta be a new one. Though they've got a good Imperial officer's body, I suppose they just need to sculpt up a good Peter Cushing likeness. Owen and Beru as they appeared in the OT would have to be even more limited. I would like to see a resculpt of Owen since the likeness was never very good and a refresh of Beru but the AOTC versions of these characters didn't sell particularly well either and so it's probably gonna have to be a collector targeted set that doesn't suck like the Homestead set did. BTW if you want one I think my TRU still has them. Just saying....
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Not to keep picking on you here but you think it was odd that Beru and Owen didn't get figures? Come to think of it, it's probably the same reason Tarkin never got a figure: they don't do anything cool. Owen is just grumpy, Beru has like ten lines and all Tarkin does is bark orders. I think that the line originally had no idea how successful this all would be and wanted to stick to the most exciting characters. Old people are boring! Unless they have a lightsaber.
    I agree completely, the vintage line was designed for children and no kid wants to play with a grumpy old man or an old lady who does nothing memorable aside from pouring milk. Of course, Ben Kenobi was an old man, but he was an old man with a lightsaber who fought Darth Vader. Kids want exciting toys and no amount of screentime or spoken lines are going to make up for a boring character in the mind of a child. So there was nothing "strange" about Owen and Beru being left out of the vintage toy line. Kenner wanted the Star Wars toy line to be successful and you don't do that by filling it with action figures of old people.

Tarkin is kind of a different story, since Kenner actually had plans to make a figure of him for proposed 1985-1986 line extension, but the line was cancelled before he ever got past the concept stage:
    http://theswca.com/index.php?action=...&item_id=50965

He is actually the primary villain in ANH, but he is more of a passive villain, since he never actually engages our heroes in combat (aside from verbal confrontations). So it's still really no surprise that he wasn't made in the 1978-1979 assortments, but it would have been cool to see what Kenner had planned if the line had continued and Tarkin was released in 1986.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

^Yoda was also a good exception to the "old" character appeal to kids...mostly because he was a sort of kung-fu-mystic-muppet.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Just stopping on in. I remember some people saying we might get this wave before Christmas...

I don't think I will see AOTC for a while. Right now, ROTJ is very scarce and most of my pegs are loaded with Sandtroopers, Phase I and Phase II Clonetroopers. I hope these get worked through soon. I hope Hasbro has not totally overestimated the market for Troopers.

Anyone seeing anything radically different in their area?
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]"There was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR!" - Annie Wilkes [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession is Nute View Post
    Anyone seeing anything radically different in their area?

People in the town 40 minutes south of me are seeing waves 4 and 5 consistently, but here (just 2 minutes from a Walmart distribution center mind you) I am only seeing the ESB pegwarmers! XMas around the corner and nothing aroung here? Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    People in the town 40 minutes south of me are seeing waves 4 and 5 consistently, but here (just 2 minutes from a Walmart distribution center mind you) I am only seeing the ESB pegwarmers! XMas around the corner and nothing aroung here? Strange.
    Huh? Waves 4 and 5 are the AOTC and first mixed waves... I think you mean 2 and 3 (ROTS and ROTJ). But if you're right, remind me to move to the town 40 minutes south of you.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I think you mean 2 and 3 (ROTS and ROTJ)

Of course....my bad...

Unless you check out Q-LG's eBay account for wave 4 and 5 figures recently on sale...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(