Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If Episode 1 had come first...

If there had never been an Original Trilogy. If you didn't know who Darth Vader was, or Luke , or the Emperor. If you didn't know 3PO would show up later on or how R2 fit into the grand scheme. If there was no reason to think there might be a sequel, let alone a sequel trilogy. If Phantom Menace was the first time you saw Jedi, Lightsabers, Hutts, Spaceships, etc...

Would it be a good film?

Re: If Episode 1 had come first...

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    If there had never been an Original Trilogy. If you didn't know who Darth Vader was, or Luke , or the Emperor. If you didn't know 3PO would show up later on or how R2 fit into the grand scheme. If there was no reason to think there might be a sequel, let alone a sequel trilogy. If Phantom Menace was the first time you saw Jedi, Lightsabers, Hutts, Spaceships, etc... Would it be a good film?
    Well, it is a good film. So I would have to say yes, especially if it would have been released back in 1977, instead of ANH. Can you imagine the excitment of seeing Anakin, and being hopeful of his future, and not knowing that he was destined to fall. Or just how well Sidious' plan really turns out? Or that all these jedi's by the 4th movie would be gone except for Obi-Wan. It's almost to bad sometimes that we know the end results, cause seeing things progess darker and darker would have been so cool

Alot of people took to bashing the film, because I think they lost a lil bit of that innocence of youth they had when they saw the original trilogy. If E1 would have been the first movie, it would have been a big difference for everyone, since the movies progress away from the clean and joyus air of E1. But of course, now it's almost cool to treat Lucas and his property as the red headed stepchild. Plus, look at the types of movies we had back then, no foul comedies and overly violent action movies. E1 an innocent fantasy film doesn't fit in with alot of the crap that's popular at the movies anymore.

E1 should be judged as the first film in the 6 movie saga, it works alot better then being judged as the 4th movie that's a prequel. The movie will work even better when we can sit back, and watch all 6 films in a row, since it's needed plot development, that sets everything in motion. It also saves Lucas time in E2, since we know most of the charecters already from E1. I think it would have been a massive box office hit back then.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: If Episode 1 had come first...

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Would it be a good film?
    NO, It just wouldn't have worked.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Oh cool, that post just made me a Jedi Knight, wow!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

If E1 came out today, with no previous installments 20+ years ago...

No we would've not had another Star Wars movie. It would've been pushed aside with all the other lack-luster Special Effects ridden, plot-less, corporate crap films that are released. Think of Dungeons & Dragons, you know what I'm talking about.

If E1 came out in 1977 it would've been a very different film, because SFX were no where near where they are today. Lucas would've had to relied on his plot and characters, so I don't think there would've been a sequel either.

Nope, it started with "Star Wars," peaked with "Empire Strikes Back," lost some of the steam but still good in "Return of the Jedi." Then we had TPM.....

But we still have Star Wars, ESB, and ROTJ.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Episode 1 was ok, wasn't best, but ok, but I think if it had come out instead of A New Hope it just wouldn't of had the same effect on people.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Probably not...

I like the film, for the fact that it sets up the remainder of the films. As for the remainder of the prequels... let's hope they carry a little more weight than TPM did. It's great as an opening salvo when you know that better things are to come. If it had been a film on its own, it would have surely failed and the franchise would never have been realised. AHN works as a stand alone film or as part of a saga. TPM only works as part of a saga.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

No, I honestly don't think so - not in either time period. There are some good reasons above, I don't need to rehash them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree with what has already been said. TPM as the 1st film would have not given rise to a sequel. I see E1 as more of a big-budget movie like Godzilla (the recent US movie). Ultra high budget, but nothing other than massive amounts of cgi. And no sequel.

I agree with most of you. TPM would not have been a huge success if released in 1977. The storyline for EP I is horrible. The only thing about EP I that I can watch over and over again and not get bored is the Jedi Duel and if given the level of technology in 1977, it would not have worked out like the way we see it in TPM. Also the battle droid and gungan battle at the end would have been impossible to do. Other than that, it is pretty much just another Sci-fi movie. Also people wouldn't have stood in line for hours for tickets to go see it and it possibly would have never had a merchandise chain.

If TPM would have been released in 1999 with no other previous films, I'd have to say that it wouldn't have made as much money as it eventually did. People probably would have gone and seen it, but the only reason it grossed so much at the box office is because it was the first SW film in over 16 years and the fans were dying to see it. I know because we all were guilty of going to see it multiple times at the theatre. I'm hoping that AOTC turns out to be the ESB(the best of the OT) of the Prequels.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."