Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Any walmarts have the new figures yet?

I live in OKC and none of the walmarts have the new figures out.....

I'm guessing they're sticking with the original 8/6/2010 street date, as I've not heard of any WM's with the new figures yet.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I was just at a Walmart a little over an hour ago. They had tags (there was no space for Vintage yet, and the other ones are $8.99 each - two full dollars above Target, if you can believe that) for the first time. Had Walmart put out their stuff earlier, I might have gotten something there. But thanks to Target and TRU, I'm already completely caught up until new(er) stuff hits.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to be putting anything out until midnight, but even then it's not going to just magically appear on the shelves. They don't have just one employee devoted to Star Wars toys, so the freight will get worked as they get to it and it may take a few hours. I would guess it will all be up by tomorrow morning.

Why... why would the store known for being cheaper than its competition (if even by just two cents, as is often the case vs. Target) suddenly be more expensive, by a matter of dollars, across the board on all new Hasbro action figures?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Why... why would the store known for being cheaper than its competition (if even by just two cents, as is often the case vs. Target) suddenly be more expensive, by a matter of dollars, across the board on all new Hasbro action figures?
    Because A) Not everybody has a Target nearby, while Walmart is everywhere and the first place most people go; and B) When Target runs out of the figures everybody's looking for, and TRU is the only other game in town besides Walmart, the big W is betting you'll be willing to pay $9 for their stock before you go to TRU and pay $10.

Besides, who's to say Target won't jack the prices up in a few weeks? It's not like toy prices (or any retail prices for that matter) have been consistent for the past few years. At my closest Target I feel like I pretty much have to go twice a week just to keep up with the latest price changes (up AND down).

Stopped by Walmart on my way to work today...they had only put out one case of the new vehicles and the snowspeeder and cloud car were already gone. All other pegs were empty except for one lonely Malakili and his B.A.D. piece had been stolen out of the package. Incidentally, when I bought a Malakili a few weeks ago at a different Walmart I only did so for the droid piece.

There is another Walmart near where I work and I may check them at lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So that in 2 weeks they can have a price "rollback" to $7.97 which will seem good in comparison to the old price, but is still way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    Because A) Not everybody has a Target nearby, while Walmart is everywhere and the first place most people go;
    This. I can easily drive to three Walmarts in my area within a 20 mile radius. But there is not a single Target within less than 60 miles.

In most small towns, of under 10,000 people, Walmart is the only game in town. Especially when it comes to toys. Whenever Walmarts move in, local businesses tend to shut down, giving the superstore a virtual monopoly of that town's business. Once they get their hooks into the town, they sometimes start buying up property for the sole purpose of keeping chains like Target away.

The only real competition for Walmart in my area is a small retail chain called Alco. But those stores are tiny with very little shelf space for all the different toy lines out there. Plus, their prices make TRU seem like a bargain (they were charging $8 a figure back in 2006 and have been charging $10 per figure since 2008).

Yes, but, since there are a lot of Targets near Wal-Marts (given that their strategy for at least a decade was to open stores as close to existing WM's as possible), why would Wal-Mart have, nationwide, pricing that is so much higher?

Keep in mind that these prices have been observed in Wal-Marts that are less than a block from Targets. It might make some sense in areas with few or no Targets and TRU's, but those that are across the street from one another? That's daft.
    Tommy, close your eyes.