Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peasant

Peasant

Don't you think that for a peasant Anakin Skywalker looks very smart, does he wear this disguise on tatooine or Naboo?
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Are you saying peasants are generally "not smart"?

Well yes!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Oh yeah, have you seen those pictures of him in the latest Star Wars magazine, he looks like peter pan.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Well that's because he can FLYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Actually, hayden does have rather a pointy face and his eyes and the crap make up they slapped on him make him look a bit girly to me.

But Jek is mentioning something that I was thinking a while back. Anakin and padme are a little too smart to be peasants. Peasants are what the people of Tatooine look like - rough shod and dirty with poverty. Shmi and Anakin are peasants in TPM and they look like it too. In AOTC everything looks very smart and tidy... too tidy to be believable really. Even the lower levels of Coruscant looks really neat and tidy. not a rank steaming sewer of a place like we've always been lead to believe. I guess it shows what points of reference Lucas has become used to if he thinks peasants dress like the middle classes. It means he has no idea what poor people live like. I know it's a made up story and he can attach whatever levels of social scale to it all that he wants to but it makes the whole thing look a bit daft if the peasants aren't very peasant looking.

I do believe that the peasant disguise is for Naboo, to blend in with the farmers and traders that live in the swamp-plains of the villages. A decoy, if you will, so that any threat to Padme initially underestimates the simple-looking man, the man with a lightsaber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ani_padme_d2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	868  
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Here's Padme in her peasanty sundress on Naboo. More elegant than her TPM Tatooine disguise...mmm...must stop grinning. Photo from People Magazine.

Hmmmm...I want this as a figure, but it would only have like, two points of articulation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	natpeople3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	869  
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Now, that's not exactly breadline peasant fashion is it? These Naboo 'peasants' are mighty well off to be able to afford to dress in this manner.

Okay just looked up 'peasant' in the Oxford English reference dictionary.

Peasant /n. pron. - 'PEZ-nt'.
    1. A worker on the land, a farm labourer or small farmer, esp. a member of an agricultural class dependent on subsistence farming.
    2. (derogatory). a boor, a lout; a person of low social status.

These pics of Padme and Anakin make them look artisan rather than peasant. I can't imagine Anakin working the land with his lily white skin and girly hands. These aint the togs of peasants they're wearing, no matter which way you look at it.

Another silly comment from the folks at LFL that is totally wrong. Like saying that the Jedi starfighter was going to grow up to be a star destroyer. Honestly! they make the frelling movies and they haven't got a clue what any of it is all about!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that the HUGE republic ship that more resembles the Star Destroyer look will be the base of Star Destroyer designs, not the Starfighters which are most likely based on those.

Remeber Qui in his farmer disguise? That's more correct for a peasent, he was dirty, poor, etc.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Lord Tenebous when you say people magazine do you mean The People Magazine as in British Sunday Newspaper supliment?
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008