Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Shmi, X wing Luke, E.W. Vader, and D.S.E. Han reviews

I picked up the new figs today so these reviews are based on having them in hand and now opened (with the except of Shmi):

Shmi - I am quite pleased with this fig. This is obviously a hold-over from the now defunct Ep I line in the fact the sculpt is very good, but not POTJ quality. The overall sculpt with the body of this fig is very good. I dig her accessory quite a bit, but since i haven't open this piece, I still have no idea what it is. The only problem lies with the head of this fig and the way it's painted. Very, very pale and not the way Shmi should look. Perhaps the sculpt for the face is there and the very light-toned paint deco is holding it back. It's kinda hard to say. As a whole I am beyond happy to finally get a Shmi figure. It took long enough, but overall was very much worth the wait. My grade: B

Luke Xwing Pilot - I am very, very, very happy with this new Luke. It's probably my favorite Luke fig Hasbro has done to date. First off, the eyes look completely normal. The one I bought, as well as all the ones I chose from had very normal looking eyes and none were looking up. The overall detail to the body is awsome: the wrinkling of the flight suit is very impressive, as is the helmet, which looks very accurate - is slighty dirty, and fits very well onto Luke's head. Now as far as the bucktooth controversy: some Lukes I saw seemed to suffer from this to some degree. It kinda looks like the ones that are more 'bucky' in appearance, didn't get quite enough white paint applied - making it look like one big tooth. The one I got looks very normal to me. If you don't like it, the tooth can be scraped off. The paint deco for the hair is way darker than what we saw at th San Diego Comicon, perhaps a little too dark here, but it seems pretty close and nothing to get worked up about. The overall pose is good - I have no real problem with the hand poses w/ this fig - just looks a little 'odd' but that's it. As a whole this Luke is 1, 000,000 times better than the POTF 2 version and comparing the two is laughable. My grade on this new Luke: A, and feel it is very worth of the POTJ line.

Han Solo: Death Star Escape - with this new Han, there seems to two kinds of collectors out there in Internet land: those who think this is a dead-on likeness of Harrison Ford as he appeared in ANH, and those that think the face is awful. I fall into the first catagory. To me, this is a wonderful likeness of H. Ford as he appeared in the first Star Wars movie. I think part of the negativity for this fig's face sculpt comes from the fact that most have only seen pics from fairly large scans taken from the various conventions. Seeing this fig up close and personal, the face seems quite good and a lot closer ( I think it's as close as we'll get) to what the actor looked like in the movie. The pose is very dynamic, which I don't like on all figs, ie Lobot - but here, it works very well. I was able to pose this piece with strong Han Solo-type poses we saw him do in the movie and that's what makes this fig alot of fun. This is, without a doubt, my fav Han Solo fig as he's seen in ANH. One thing people will want to know is that the Stormtrooper belt is a separate piece, but is fairly tight. Using a hair dryer and heating it up may allow for the belt to slip out around the waist without cutting it, but may be tough - I aint trying. Unfortunately, the holster is NOT functional and that is a bit of a bummer. I don't see why Hasbro didn't make it able to holster the gun unless the felt the extra articulation in the arms was enough. As a whole though, this is a great Han Solo figure. My grade: B+ (would've been A with a functional holster)

Darth Vader Emperor's Wrath - this is a very cool, if somewhat 'odd' looking new Vader. I really like the detail fom the chest down. You can see all kinds of wrinkles in the body suit of this fig and this level of detail along with a nice, but not overyly carried away pose, helps to really sell this Vader figure. The extra articulation is the right arm as well as the rem hand are both cool, but not overly shocking. The hands fits quite well and pegs into the wrist without it being too difficult (ie, no fear of breakage). From the chest up, and especially the head sculpt is quite cool, The empty sockey holes in the scull are quite noticeable and really gives this fig a kind of 'what the...' look. The base of the scull to the socket holes are very well detailed, but once we go below the eye holes, the mouth of the scull to the neck get a little lost from the trasparent face mask Vader has. I like the bolts that are painted onto the back of the dome on Vader's helmet, but quite frankly, we could have used a little more of the electricity detailing. Either that, or we should have gotten boomer-styled electrical bolt accessories that we could wrap around Vader's body (I will be customizing my fig with this). As a whole, this is a wild idea of a figure that has decent execution, but is still not quite as cool as Dagobah Vader . That's not to say I don't like this piece; quite the opposite, Emperor's Wrath Darth Vader is a fine addition to the ever expanding POTJ family. My grade: A-

On a side note, Shmi, Luke, Han and Vader are all totally in scale to one another, with Vader quite a bit taller than Han, etc. All were on the .04 cardbacks and according to the date stamp, Shmi was packaged prior to the Luke wave... Happy hunting!
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 08-26-2001 at 08:24 PM.

Don't understand

I can understand why somebody would go to Franks and by figures they cannot find that have come and gone like the Tessek wave, but I cannot understand why somebody would go and pay $12-$20 per figure which is what they were at Franks just to get them 1 week early. Newsflash they are already on the East Coast which means we'll have them by next week. And look at the Duros wave, so it was a little hard at first, but since then they havent been that hard to find at store price which is what $7.00 on avg. maybe a little more if you hit an expensive stor. I just don't see how someone can pay that kind of money to have something a week before its out, it's rediculous. And even if you cannnnttttt find it when its out, once everyone has it a Franks which is usually the first week, you can get them for $8.00 a figure, why not be patient and wait a week, 2 at most???????

thanks,.... but this has nothing to do w/ my reviews.

Not that I have anything to prove here, but I paid less than your lowest estimate of $12. Even that amount is outrageous and I don't pay those kind of prices. While you go around spending money on gas and wasting time looking for figures certain stores may or may not have, I prefer to spend a couple bucks above retail and spend my valuable time doing more important things, namely having a life. I do not criticize others here in how they go about this hobby and would expect the same, The One! This is a review section and replies should be about the topic at hand...

The hunt is not what make Star Wars collecting interesting to me! I am getting very, very, very tired of new people coming here and making a half-arsed attempt at rocking the boat...

Post nicley or don't post at all, especially in the review section!
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 08-26-2001 at 04:39 AM.

hmmmm

Amanaman, so you're getting very, very, very tired of new people coming in here and rocking the boat huh? HEHE O.K. review board chief, let me just tell you, I thought it was a little rediculous that someone would pay $12-$20 for a single figure which when buying several, greatlyyy outweighs the cost of gas. For you to get your panties in such a ruffle tells us the readers of your post, that in fact you really did pay the $12 plus per figure and you realize it was a little silly to do so, just so you could post bragging rights over a toy figure forum that you were the first to get the "new" figures, so come on everybody read my review. Do you see where I'm going with this champ? Anyways it was a harmless observation, you took it the wrong way, obviously for someone to be on such a defensive, well what does that say? And for you to say you paid alot less then $12, I find that hard to believe since the guy had no problem selling them to...... so I highly doubt he dropped his prices so you could get your toy review into the website for alllllll to see. One more thing, you criticize others on here for driveing around from store to store, claiming "they have no life", hey bro, have you seen how many times and how many places the name Amanamatt appears in these forums??? hehe have you, well you write the threads so you have, so don't criticize others, when if you really think about it, a life isn't made up of sitting on the net all day posting replys and remarks to every friggin topic to do with Star Wars action figures. But anyways happy hunting their Matt, even if you are willing to pay wayy over cost

Cool Keep Cool Guys

Uh oh, getting hot in here.

Well, I just have a question here, Amanamatt, you have not review the EU Obi-Wan fig. You didn't get that one? I have bought the wave too and I give Obi the miss cos IMO, he just ain't worth it.

For me, I too would not mind spending a couple of dollars more if I can locate a fig on site. But hey, its everyone's choice and nobody is wrong to have his / her own purchasing style

Keep cool, its just toys

This section is for the posting and discussion of reviews, not reviewers nor their actions. Personal posts of this nature are not welcome on SSG, if you have a beef with another poster, you have 2 options:
    • Discuss it with the person in Private Messaging
    • Ignore the issue and move on
    I suggest the latter.

It's none of anybody's business how someone else buys their figures, and it's certainly not something worth getting all riled up over, even if the other person mentions how they got it. This type of thing is not acceptable from any poster, flame posts are not something we allow on the forums and they can lead to administrative action like temporary account suspension.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

from now on, I ain't mentioning how I bought this stuff - I'll just go straight into the reviews.

52 or so posts to date isNOT that many...

to Humsup: yeah, I passed on the new Obi wan...the fig has a decent sculpt, but the deco isn't all that exciting, IMO. I think for those who really enjoyed the other three off-screen figs, will enjoy this one. To me, however, it's the least impressive and not really worth a full retail price even... I will take The ONE's advice and wait a couple of weeks on that one...and see if anyone blows this one out at $5 - 6

Really appreciate the review Amanamatt! I'm glad the paint problem on Luke seem to be on just a few samples, and I'm really looking forward to the new Han!

As for the comment about paying high prices for new figures. I can tell you, when I was stationed in Korea the only way for me to get new figures was: 1. pay outrageous scalper prices or 2. wait one whole year to get the new figures. I must say when your stuck in a little country like that with nothing to remind you of home, then $25 a figure is a small price to pay. Even now I'd rather just avoid the hassle of going from store to store and just pay a little more for the one or two figures I really want.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis