Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace View Post
    I say seem, because I'm not convinced they won't go the other way in some RoC sequel.
    There's actually a line in the comic adaptation of ROC, apparently cut from the movie, where Storm Shadow tells Snake Eyes he didn't kill the Hard Master just before he falls to his (obviously not) death.

In the comic, they were buddies from Vietnam who were as close as brothers. After the war, Storm Shadow went to Japan, and Snake Eyes came home to find his family dead (in a sorta convoluted twist that involved Cobra Commander's brother and indirectly led to the founding of Cobra), so he joined Storm Shadow in Japan. He quickly became better than SS, and the Hard Master wanted to make SE his heir. SE refused.

Cobra Commander, meanwhile, had hired Zartan to infiltrate the clan and kill SE (whom he blamed for his brother's death). Zartan found peace as an apprentice swordsmith, but CC threatened to expose him to the clan and sent Firefly in to make sure Zartan did his job. Zartan used a high-tech bow (and an arrow stolen from SS, to frame him) to home in on SE's heartbeat and shoot him through a wall, not realizing that at that moment, the Hard Master was demonstrating an imitation technique to SE by imitating his heartbeat. The Hard Master was killed by SS's arrow, and SE saw SS apparently fleeing the scene. He was actually chasing Zartan (whom he didn't know) as far as his escape vehicle, a Cobra helicopter (presumably flown by Firefly).

SS joined Cobra and made his way through the ranks to become CC's personal bodyguard, knowing that CC would know the identity of the killer. He eventually found out and snuck into the Pit to inform SE, and the two attacked Cobra Island to seek revenge on Zartan. He was gunned down by the Baroness, left for dead, and, when he came out of his trance, he went into seclusion for a while before accompanying SE on a mission or two and officially joining the Joe team.

So, short story, in the comic book, he was always an honorable sort and sought especially hard to atone for his deeds as a Cobra once he left the organization.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I basically know the history, because I've read synopses and histories, but I never actually read the comic, so my question pertains more to how the reader was supposed to feel about Storm Shadow, his attitude, his motivations.

I don't get the impression the comic was written for us to dislike him. We were obviously supposed to dislike him in Resolute, and it seems we're supposed to dislike him in Renegades.

I'm mostly curious how correct I am about him being likeable in the comic but maybe a little resentful about Snake-Eyes becoming so important within the Arashikage. As I said, if there is resentment, I understood it was more written to make it believable that the clan would immediately suspect that was his motive more than because we were supposed to dislike him for it. Is that off base?
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

So, short story, in the comic book, he was always an honorable sort and sought especially hard to atone for his deeds as a Cobra once he left the organization.
    I remember how many years it took to fully uncover this story. G. I. Joe #7 was the first comic my dad ever bought me, way back in 1982. The story, mostly the lack of story, of Snake Eyes was such a quintessential part of 80s comics for me. His secrecy was shrouded much like Wolverine's was back when he was just Wolverine and not Mister Marvel Comics. I was far more satisfied with Snake Eyes' origin than I'll ever be of "James Howlett."

Re-reading them, I'd forgotten how well things are rolled out slowly. The first issue reveals he can't speak, and that he has a thing for Scarlett. The second reveals how he's scarred. Then #10 actually drops hints about his training, shows his prom night, and all sorts of other cool stuff when he's in the brainwave scanner.

Then #21 and the reveal of the tattoos (which are insanely overused now, IMHO) and it steamrolled from there. Still took until #93 before we saw his face, and something like #130 before we learned the identity of the Faceless Master and the last bits of his origin.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Every time I think this show has gotten as awesome as possible, I see the newest episode.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That was good. I'm only catching "Homecoming Part 1" though on the internet.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Favorite line: "Ralph Pulaski." And, of course, I yelled out, "Steeler!"

I didn't recognize Steeler's name at first, but I was paying close attention to all the background characters. I caught them calling the doctor "Doctor Greer" (in addition to just "Doc" a few times).

I noticed the explosion was right in Scrap-Iron's face. I hope every hideously-scarred Cobra doesn't start in the show as a handsome guy and get scarred by the Joes at the end of his debut episode. (So far, two have appeared, and that's been the case with both.)

But Destro! And a HISS Tank! Holy crap!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Was Scrap Iron the guy with Destro?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Hasbro is giving us the opportunity to ask 1 question of the TF: Prime production teams. We must submit our question by Friday. What should we ask?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.