Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Question That alleged new "Clone Wars" movie...

Yeah... I know that this is technically about a movie and it's also about the new TV series. I'm surprised no one has started a thread about the rumoured launch of the series that's been buzzing around on the 'net this morning.

Anyhow, it's been rumoured that the first 3 or 4 episodes are being cobbled together for a theatrical release to launch the series in the autumn. It looks like the release date would be sometime in August.

From theforce.net:

[FONT=Century Gothic]Animated Clone Wars Theatrical Release?
    Posted By Philip on February 4, 2008

Then again, nothing has been decided, though clearly, everybody that heard such a thing may happen got very excitied about it.

Before you read the information below, I'll tell you the news was big enough I knew we had to ask for confirmation from Lucasfilm before posting it. It's a good thing because LFL did have something to say about it. I realize you'll read this out of order, but I want to make sure nobody gets the wrong information.

When I asked Lucasfilm to comment on this news, here's what a Lucasfilm spokesman had to say:

"I'd like to clarify Hasbro comments this AM about the Clone Wars TV series. We see it as a breakthrough animated television series and are exploring a number of innovative ways to introduce it to the public. No decisions regarding release strategy have been made yet."

I followed up with just one question. Is a theatrical release introducing the series in the works and received this response: "It's one of the many things being discussed but we have no decisions yet. For us it's all about finding a creative way to launch a creative TV series."

Below is the specific information about this from the Hasbro Analysts meeting this morning. At the time I asked for comments from Lucasfilm, the meeting was still going on and Hasbro was expected to clarify their comments before the end of the meeting.

Note, that I'll emphasize again, there has been no Lucasfilm decision regarding this and there certainly has been no date set for anything.

During the Hasbro Fall 2007 Analyst Event this morning, they announced the much-anticipated "Star Wars" Clone Wars animated TV series would have a theatrical launch next year on August 8 and then on TV throughout the fall.

You can listen to it yourself at this link. You have to register to listen. The audio you want to hear is about 56 minutes into the presentation. Hasbro Fall 2007 Analyst Event Audio.

Thanks to Commander Voltaire and his friend for the link and news.

UPDATE: Our friend Bill from IHNRadio.com pointed us over to an article at Action-Figure.com regarding this years UK Toy Fair. The writer, Adrian, goes on to speak of how Hasbro keeps areas off limits to the press. See below for a snippet:

"This year, the line off limits to the press was Star Wars.

I couldn't see the logic in this, and so a bit of probing, I got to the bottom of this.

It seems that Clone Wars is going to be big in 2008, and Lucasfilm wants to keep a lot of it hush hush. I don't know much about the Hasbro product, but I do know a bit about Clone Wars.

You all know about the Clone Wars animated Series coming out, right? Well it's hitting this September, and will kick off (in the UK at least) with a cinematic release of the first 3 episodes (note this was confirmed by a couple of Star Wars licensees other than Hasbro). The rest of the episodes
    will then come out on a yet undecided TV channel."

Click here for the full story.

Nothing has been officially announced yet and no word on how this relates to U.S audiences but lets face it, our hopes are up.

More updates as we get more info. Thanks again to Bill from IHNRadio.com.

UPDATE #2: Hot on the heels of his last tip, Bill from IHNRadio.com sent in the folliwng:

"I just came across another tid-bit that may be further quasi-confirmation of a theatrical release for the show. This one is from an article published on Time magazine's Time.Com site this past Thursday about the Lucasfilm Singapore Studio. Here is the relevent quote:

"The Singapore studio will also spearhead Lucasfilm's first animated feature film this year, and its employees will soon make up at least one-third of Lucasfilm's staff."

And here is a link to the actual page where I found this info:" (bottom of the first paragraph)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8826-2,00.html

Bill also stumbled upon this quote over at JediNews.co.uk from the UK ToyFair: (With a minor Clone Wars spoiler)

"The LEGO Rep let us into a few spoilers including the fact there will indeed be a feature release in early September here in the UK (a couple of weeks earlier in the US), and he also told us about the characters included with these sets Ė donít read the next sentence if you donít want to know! Rotta is Jabba the Huttís nephew or son (there seemed to be some confusion about this) and the first 2 or 3 episodes centre on his kidnapping!"

Click here for the full article. (the quote is in the 7th paragraph down)

Thanks again Bill!

UPDATE #3: AICN is now reporting about the possible theatrical release but they have a source saying that it would be 4 Clone Wars episodes as opposed to 3 and that they would hit theaters around the same time as Indy 4. I can personally buy that it could be 4 episodes as opposed to 3 but I'm not sure I believe in the spring time frame. Why would Lucas want two projects in the theaters at the same time essentially competing with each other? Doesn't make sense to me, for you'd think he'd want to spread his projects out creating separate buzz for each. Just my take on it. Let's not forget that nothing has been officially announced yet, but we'll keep reporting what we hear.

Click here for the AICN report.

Thanks to Guillaume from France for the heads up.[/FONT]
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I hate to be such a downer, but, given everything I've seen and read about Clone Wars, I think I'd pass on a theatrical debut. I'll sit at home and watch my Samurai Jack DVDs instead.

Seriously, guys, you can defend this all you want because it has "Star Wars" in the name, but this looks like something that fell out of a sick dog's b*tthole.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I have to say that I'm not all that excited about it either. I was watching the traditionally animated Clone Wars yesterday and thought it was a brilliant masterstroke. This, however, is looking less and less interesting to me. I just posted it 'cos no one else had. LOL

I was just wondering if I'd given this a fair chance, and looked at the trailer again. It looks like the cut-scenes from a s****y Playstation game. I actually think it looks worse if you're viewing it a second or third time.

I think John Williams should be insulted that his music is being used on this rank turd.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

LOL Wow... you are being harsher on this than I am!!

If its the first few episodes and they will air on TV, wy bother watching it in the movies?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm not trying to be harsh.

However....
    • The animation looks derivative and primitive, at best.
    • The idea of Anakin having a Padawan is beyond laughable.
    • The juxtaposition of realistic backgrounds and abstract characters simply doesn't work.
    • I don't need to know about Jabba's kid. His dad is a pimp. What else remains to be said?
    • Asajj Ventress has now returned from the dead, what? Five times now?
    • We know Lucas doesn't respect his earlier story elements. However, this shouldn't contradict events of Revenge of the Sith.
    • To be going for a more realistic approach to the Force than Tartakovsky did, the shot of Anakin jumping from STAP to STAP doesn't exactly seem to fit.
    • Half-naked alien chicks? Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
    • Lucas has said that he will respect all previously-established Clone Wars continuity, but reserves the right to not do so. (Would you like to eat your cake, too, Uncle George?)
    • Still no TV station carrying this? Shouldn't they be falling all over themselves at the chance to carry a Star Wars show? Or, do they know something we don't?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'm not trying to be harsh.

However....
    • The animation looks derivative and primitive, at best.
    • The idea of Anakin having a Padawan is beyond laughable.
    • The juxtaposition of realistic backgrounds and abstract characters simply doesn't work.
    • I don't need to know about Jabba's kid. His dad is a pimp. What else remains to be said?
    • Asajj Ventress has now returned from the dead, what? Five times now?
    • We know Lucas doesn't respect his earlier story elements. However, this shouldn't contradict events of Revenge of the Sith.
    • To be going for a more realistic approach to the Force than Tartakovsky did, the shot of Anakin jumping from STAP to STAP doesn't exactly seem to fit.
    • Half-naked alien chicks? Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
    • Lucas has said that he will respect all previously-established Clone Wars continuity, but reserves the right to not do so. (Would you like to eat your cake, too, Uncle George?)
    • Still no TV station carrying this? Shouldn't they be falling all over themselves at the chance to carry a Star Wars show? Or, do they know something we don't?
    Amen brother. Let me add to that why would anyone want to go pay for something in theatres that will be on tv free just a few weeks after? I'm content to wait for the small screen myself, and while this is SW, I just can't get worked up for it on the big screen the way I would a major motion picture.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]MOM, THROW DOWN SOME MONEY! THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIING!!!![/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
    This seems to be a pretty big wank for Dave Filoni, who at CIV showed footage of himself handing out SW toys around the premiere of ROTS dressed as Plo Koon, who is his favorite character.

Seeing the preview in a theater at CIV was extremely cool, to apparently everyone there. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I think people may be overstating Lucas's involvement in the project. Dave Filoni seems more to be the actual leader, with Lucas just kind of watching and occasionally making comments. Filoni himself seems to be a huge SW fan who cares a lot about the property.

All I can say is wait and see. Maybe the show will absolutely suck ***, who knows. (Though I do think that many people think the Tartakovsky cartoons were better than they actually were.)
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I'll watch at least the first episode or two for free on TV. I may be surprised. Who knows? I'd like to be. I'm not holding my breath, though. And I'm certainly not paying to see it. I'd rather regret not seeing it on the big screen a few weeks early, than regret paying $15 to see it and it suck.

I may be slightly biased in my love of the first Clone Wars, since I liked Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory long before that project was announced.
    Tommy, close your eyes.