Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Star Wars Chronicles: One of the BEST SW reference books!

As a repeated (and long-winded) contributor to these forums, I wanted to take a moment to bring to the attention of all fans one of the single best reference books out there for Star Wars. It is "The Star Wars Chronicles" (I believe from Chronicle Books). This HUGE hardbound volume is chock full of photos and insights from the entire series. Both film stills and behind-the-scenes images abound as well as a myriad of information. One of the most compelling features is a multiple page section with large fold-out pages that starts with characters and creatures and works its way up to ships and all the way to the two Death Stars in a size comparison format. There are tons of images of obscure characters as well and tons of character names.
    But be prepared, this gem of Star Wars reference books is NOT cheap. The cover price is a stagering $150.00. I just checked and Amazon.com still has them at $105.00 and you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. This is a great hardcover book that is huge and comes in a hard slipcase. Check it out if you can. There is never enough good I can say about this book and it is well worth even the cover price.

I must agree, I got my copy in trade from my brother (he had pretty much destroyed the spine from too much use and bought a new copy). I don't even bother trying to keep it in it's slipcase on the shelf anymore, since I use it on a daily basis. Pretty much the best Star Wars reference book ever!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I saved up for ages to buy this book having heard how good it is. Cost me an arm and a leg but I finally got the big mutha. My only disappointment was the amount of pages devoted to the tauntaun but apart from that I love it. I hardly ever use it though as the clasp on the front has busted which I've heard is a common problem. And I also dont want it to get ruined after spending so much on it. It's also a little unwieldly in size which means it's a little hard to sit and browse. but the pictures are great. I found reference to characters I'd only glimpsed in the films and now I have big glossy pics to scan... exept the book is too big to fit in a scanner.... Col info on cut scenes though. And the size guide to all the ships and vehicles is cool. For those of us who didn't manage to find the behind the magic CD ROM it's a nice addition to the collection.

I totally agree with this thread, this is a fantastic book! The slipcover's velcro unglued from one side, the cover of the book is being rolled apart from itself thanks to the slipcover grabbing it, and I love every page! This and the Illustrated Star Wars Universe and "Incredible Cross Sections" books are my favorite Star Wars books by far.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There's this Japanese Bookshop chain that operates here carry 3 copies of this gem. But it cost US$239 each!!!! Thanks heaven that among the 3 copies, one was opened for browsing (can you imagine, a book at that price opened for browsing??) and I have managed to flip this book everytime I visited this bookshop. Want to buy it but at this price, its steep.
    Well, the 3 books remain faithfully on the shelves for close to a year now and I suppose nobody here in Singapore will be spending that kind of money on one.
    But I should agree that this book is really worth owning for all self respecting SW Fan. Maybe, I will try Amazon one day.

Humsup, are those the original Japanese versions, or the rewritten in English versions? The English version of the book was written based on the Japanese one, I hear there are a few differences.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

A $150 book with reviews this glowing? I must check this out. Thanks for the recommendation--I'd never have known this was worth it otherwise.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Question

Star Wars Chronicles: One of the BEST SW reference books!
    It had better be, for $150! I'm waiting for the soft cover version, like they did with From SW to Indiana Jones. I have heard many good things about this book, but one-hundred fifty dollars? "No reward is worth this!"
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Thumbs up

I absolutely agree. This book, From Star Wars to Indiana Jones, and the Visual Dictionary (which should have been three times larger), are my primary sources when it comes to OT info. That, and the trip to the Magic of Myth exhibit at the Smithsonian. When is Lucas going to open up a Lucasfilm Museum??!? Heck, I'd live there!
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

Bel-Cam Jos, bad news I'm afraid. You will be waiting a long time. The Star Wars Chronicles came out about six years ago or longer. Chronicle had the SC copy of Star Wars to Indianna Jones out in less than a year following the HC. I too held out hopes, though I was able to buy my first copy at a steal of a price, I bought a second one at about $90.00 when it was obvious that they were not going to make a softcover version. Of course you have to bear in mind the book itself is about two feet tall and a foot wide and has a couple of hundred pages at least. I don't have it at hand to confirm, though.