Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    I like the change to Anakin's force ghost at the end of Jedi. It makes sense and fits the narrative better. Especially if you take into account both what Obi-Wan and Yoda say about Anakin and the nature of the force. And while I like the Yub-Yub song, I'm pretty happy with the new ending song as well.

Only change that bugs me a bit is the dialogue change of Luke's on Dagobah when R2-D2 escapes the Swamp Monster. "You're lucky you don't taste very good" was amusing. "You're lucky you got out of there" just doesn't work as well.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I like the change to Anakin's force ghost at the end of Jedi. It makes sense and fits the narrative better. Especially if you take into account both what Obi-Wan and Yoda say about Anakin and the nature of the force. And while I like the Yub-Yub song, I'm pretty happy with the new ending song as well.

Only change that bugs me a bit is the dialogue change of Luke's on Dagobah when R2-D2 escapes the Swamp Monster. "You're lucky you don't taste very good" was amusing. "You're lucky you got out of there" just doesn't work as well.
    I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was on a commentary, but it could just as easily have been in a news article about the DVDs) That small changes like that, and the trooper saying "close the blast doors" in the special edition as well as a few others are because they used the cleanest audio tracks of the master coppies they had. And for at least Episode 4 and 5, there where different mixes made for theaters that used mono speakers and ones that had early surround sound. One or the other occasonaly used different sound effects and dialog, and the DVDs use a mix of both, re-mastered for modern surround sound depending on which part of the original mix of one or the other sounded the cleanest.

If we're switching gears, the Anakin ghost bugged me. But mostly because they simply superimposed Hayden's head on Sebastian Shaw's body, giving him a different build and an outfit he never wore. I guess he showed up to the afterlife naked and had to borrow some robes from Obi-Wan.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    If we're switching gears, the Anakin ghost bugged me. But mostly because they simply superimposed Hayden's head on Sebastian Shaw's body, giving him a different build and an outfit he never wore. I guess he showed up to the afterlife naked and had to borrow some robes from Obi-Wan.
    But, if you're going to say that, I have to point out that Sebastian Shaw's Vader also never wore those robes either. LOL

And while I like the Yub-Yub song, I'm pretty happy with the new ending song as well.
    I think the original song is trite and has absolutely no dignity. The trilogy ends on a really silly Muppet Show Theme sounding song. I never got that.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Partner, of course everyone has different opinions. But that is okay. And I usually don't complain about all the re re re re releases of my favorite movie saga. Now my wife, that's a different story. "Your buying the movie again?" And I'm sure I'll buy the BluRay complete set when it comes out. I'll just have to remind her that our son has loved my movies to death. But I agree with you that there are too many people out there that all the do is b!tch about everything. And especially the Prequels Trilogy. I'm not the biggest Phantom Menace fan and it's the last of the six I'd put in the DVD player but I'm glad we have it. The alternantive is that we wouldn't have 1-3 and we'd be all crying about not having more.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    But, if you're going to say that, I have to point out that Sebastian Shaw's Vader also never wore those robes either. LOL.
    Prior to 2002, we didn't know that, though. It was cool giving Anakin a totally different outfit, but not the smartest thing continuity-wise.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's probably just the generic Jedi Robes for Force Ghosts.

But yeah, Sebastian Shaw's Anakin never wore that costume at that age either. Not to mention he didn't manifest missing his limbs, or hair, or covered with scars. Which is another reason why I don't have a problem with the change to Hayden. As Yoda said.. "Luminous Beings Are We, Not This Crude Matter." If Anakin's Force Ghost isn't restrained by the damage of his form in life, why should or would he manifest in the form of a body that was basically a walking corpse kept alive by machines. So makes sense to me.

Also note regarding the clothing. Lucas on the commentary notes that Obi-Wan and Yoda help Anakin manifest via the force. Which makes sense, as they fade in easily and Anakin seems to kinda flicker in. So at least the clothing choice if not the appearance were likely influenced by Obi-Wan and Yoda as well.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I think the original song is trite and has absolutely no dignity. The trilogy ends on a really silly Muppet Show Theme sounding song. I never got that.
    I grew up with the Special Editions, so I don't know if it's influencing my decision, but I agree. I vastly prefer the 1997 celebration song to the 1983 one. It brings such a better sense of closure to the six-film saga than the teddy bears' picnic. While the original was more "celebratory" and the new one is a bit more contemplative, I feel like it's better to reflect on the hard-won victory that the Rebels and the light side of the Force have just had than to throw on some tunes and party.

I also like the Hayden ghost better than the Shaw one, costume incongruity or not. As to the complaining, and the costume issue, it bugs the crap out of me when people say that the prequels messed up by having the Jedi wear robes similar to Obi-Wan's from ANH, as if Obi-Wan was wearing them to hide. Perhaps that was the intent originally, but as established by Yoda's attire in ESB and then Anakin's outfit in ROTJ, clearly it's a semi-standard outfit (which isn't even worn by all the Jedi in the PT). So it's been around that the Jedi dress like this long before TPM came out.

On Anakin's outfit, they were following the same trajectory that Luke did in the OT, with their costumes gradually getting darker as the films went on (Luke's change is more obvious from the all-white in TPM to the all-black in ROTJ). Anakin's darker robes in AOTC and ROTS help to underline the darker aspects of his character and to show that he's getting closer to the dark side (as well as becoming less "pure"), so having him walk around in lighter robes might have matched better with the Force ghost but wouldn't have worked as well from a filmmaking or storytelling perspective.

It's probably just the generic Jedi Robes for Force Ghosts.
    They all get them at the blue glowy shimmery gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I grew up with the Special Editions, so I don't know if it's influencing my decision, but I agree. I vastly prefer the 1997 celebration song to the 1983 one. It brings such a better sense of closure to the six-film saga than the teddy bears' picnic. While the original was more "celebratory" and the new one is a bit more contemplative, I feel like it's better to reflect on the hard-won victory that the Rebels and the light side of the Force have just had than to throw on some tunes and party.
    I mean, I like "Ewok Celebration" for all of its dippy ridiculousness, but I think that the newer music is more reverent and texturally richer. It also has more emotional weight to it.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

None of us will ever agree 100%!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I don't know if I agree with you on that...

Do I? Don't I? Do I? Don't I? I never like those kinds of decisions. Or do it secretly love the inner debate...? I don't know. Or do I...?
    Should I get the BluRay just for these? Hmm...

There was a newspaper comic (perhaps Brevity, Off the Mark, or Bizarro; I forget which one) recently that was titled "A Young George Lucas" in which he has a 8MM film or photo of his sister breaking a lamp or stealing a cookie and the girl saying "He changed the picture!" or something; I wonder just how much that's a common view of even non-SW geeks out there.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."