Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 77

Thread: Wave 6

  1. #41
    I won't get every figure in this wave, but that doesn't make it less solid.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

  2. #42
    Well, Weequay is a definite grab. I was looking forward to General Lando, but the lack of POTF card kills the point. The figure itself has some really weird proportions, they would have been better off rereleasing the Saga/OTC version.

    I don't know, may get Luke... My snowspeeder pilot version is staying in the snowspeeder with Dack, so it'd be nice to have a version to keep on a shelf.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Well, Weequay is a definite grab. I was looking forward to General Lando, but the lack of POTF card kills the point. The figure itself has some really weird proportions, they would have been better off rereleasing the Saga/OTC version.

    I don't know, may get Luke... My snowspeeder pilot version is staying in the snowspeeder with Dack, so it'd be nice to have a version to keep on a shelf.
    I think it was probably about a year ago that Hasbro stated they had no plans whatsoever to recreate the vintage POTF cards, mainly because they had no intention of ever using coins as a pack-in after the mess they created for themselves in 2007. Thus any POTF figures released in the Vintage Collection would be on corresponding movie cards instead of recreations of the POTF cards.

    I actually support the decision, because (even though POTF is my vintage focus) they are probably the least appealing card designs from the entire vintage line. I'm speaking as a graphic designer here, not as a lifelong Star Wars fan. The reference photo is too small, the "Special Collectors Coin" text takes up way too much space (not to mention the plain font fails to generate any excitement whatsoever) and there is just too much black dead-space all over the card front.

    So, yeah, I can't wait to see figures like Barada and Amanaman released on ROTJ cards like they should have been back in the vintage days.

    Besides wouldn't it be a little weird to have some figures packed with coins and other figures without coins when they all shipped in the same case?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I think it was probably about a year ago that Hasbro stated they had no plans whatsoever to recreate the vintage POTF cards, mainly because they had no intention of ever using coins as a pack-in after the mess they created for themselves in 2007. Thus any POTF figures released in the Vintage Collection would be on corresponding movie cards instead of recreations of the POTF cards.
    Yeah, I remember that. I found it weird when General Lando was rumored/announced due to that, and pointed it out in a previous thread, and someone replied saying Hasbro said they would be including the coins. So, I've been waiting for official carded pics for the definitive outcome. It was disappointing, but not surprising.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I actually support the decision, because (even though POTF is my vintage focus) they are probably the least appealing card designs from the entire vintage line. I'm speaking as a graphic designer here, not as a lifelong Star Wars fan. The reference photo is too small, the "Special Collectors Coin" text takes up way too much space (not to mention the plain font fails to generate any excitement whatsoever) and there is just too much black dead-space all over the card front.
    That's a fair point, they are far more bland looking. The thing is, it makes me feel as though the idea of them matching any of those released in the vintage line is ultimately pointless then. Even if they manage to make modern versions of all 90-some figures that were carded, it will never truly be complete due to the lack of the POTF set.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Besides wouldn't it be a little weird to have some figures packed with coins and other figures without coins when they all shipped in the same case?
    It would be incredibly weird. I always expected, though, that if they wanted to release POTF-carded figures then they would be exclusives or done later on when they may be able to justify the coins. Still, this route is also weird to me, and not really helped by the first one being a figure that appears inferior to its previous incarnation.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Yeah, I remember that. I found it weird when General Lando was rumored/announced due to that, and pointed it out in a previous thread, and someone replied saying Hasbro said they would be including the coins. So, I've been waiting for official carded pics for the definitive outcome. It was disappointing, but not surprising.
    The question was posted in the Hasbro Q&A for CollectionStation.com early last year. Hasbro never once indicated that they might go back to coins, so whoever claimed that Hasbro would include the coins was either misinformed or just talking out of the side of their neck.

    Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    That's a fair point, they are far more bland looking. The thing is, it makes me feel as though the idea of them matching any of those released in the vintage line is ultimately pointless then. Even if they manage to make modern versions of all 90-some figures that were carded, it will never truly be complete due to the lack of the POTF set.
    Well, if this was a pure recreation of the Kenner vintage line, then I could see your point. However, it's clearly intended to be an expansion of that line. Figures from previous movies were recarded with the current film logo all the time during the vintage days (Darth Vader was released on Star Wars, ESB, 2 ROTJ cards and POTF back in the vintage days). Some people on other forums equate this as tantamount to heresy, but I think it's cool and I'm finding that I get more excited for the TVC figures released on all-new card & photo combinations than I do for those that are just straight recreations of the vintage carded figures.

    Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    It would be incredibly weird. I always expected, though, that if they wanted to release POTF-carded figures then they would be exclusives or done later on when they may be able to justify the coins. Still, this route is also weird to me, and not really helped by the first one being a figure that appears inferior to its previous incarnation.
    Yeah, I don't want to have to wait until TVC is cancelled to get updates to the "last 15" POTF figures. It would be silly to hold those figures off for at least 2 years because of the cards they were originally released on, when we're already getting figures that were never even available in the vintage Kenner line.

    However, just because some of them are being released now in TVC doesn't preclude Hasbro from doing some kind of POTF-carded exclusive set down the road.

    As for the figure itself, I think this new version looks to be much better than the Saga version from 2003. I was pretty disappointed in that figure, mainly because of the plastic cape, so I never even bought it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  6. #46
    It's only been one week since I saw anything from wave 4 for the first time, but tonight my Walmart put out two cases of wave 6. I got the full set minus Lando, who was the only one missing. I also got a Senate Guard, repacked in this wave from wave 4. I'm only half done with wave 4 and still need Yoda from wave 5, so I was a little shocked to see them so soon.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  7. #47
    I got notification yesterday that my wave 6 figs have been shipped, so I should get them tomorrow. I ordered them all apart from the clone trooper, as I assumed it would just be the old figure with added bj hips and a green helmet, but I read last night (on Jedi Temple Archives) that it's a pretty amazing update, so maybe I should've got one of these as well. Oh well, I'm sure it'll see plenty of re-releases.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

  8. #48

    Cool

    I hope the Walmarts around here get this wave soon. I've seen only glimpses of waves 4 & 5. Right now the pegs are clogged with clone troopers and sandtroopers.

  9. #49
    HTS has them back up again. Just ordered Lando, Luke, Weequay, and Nikto. Use HTS10 for 10% off.
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbapalacespy View Post
    I hope the Walmarts around here get this wave soon. I've seen only glimpses of waves 4 & 5. Right now the pegs are clogged with clone troopers and sandtroopers.
    There was actually enough space for a full case of figures in the TVC section at my Walmart, but yesterday I go in there to find that they've cut the TVC shelf space down to one column of pegs to make room for the Pirates of the Caribbean and Thor toy lines. So now the entire TVC section is jam-packed with nothing Sandtroopers and Clonetroopers.... at $8.96 each.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO