Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation ideas

Hybrid View

Vacation ideas

I'm planning on getting out of dodge for a few days/week this summer and I'm looking for places to go and things to do. It'll be me and a buddy for sure, possibly a few other people as well. We are open to most anything. Ideas tossed around are camping/hiking in Colorado/Montana/that general area. Going to Boston or even swinging down through St. Louis and crusing through Memphis, Nashville, the Great Smokies etc.

What I'm wondering is are what are some cool things that you people can recommend checking out? It doesn't have to be in the areas that I suggested, although due to where we live (Green Bay, Wi) the west and SE Coasts are out. As an example of "stuff to check out" each summer Milwaukee has "Summerfest" which bills itself as the worlds largest outdoor music festival.

Thanks

Well, the northern coast of Australia wouldn't be an ideal place right now.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    Well, the northern coast of Australia wouldn't be an ideal place right now.
    Yeah its a touch on the humid side.

Don your Kevlar and check out the WWII museum in New Orleans.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

The Smokey Mountains are GREAT. The people of Tenn. and N.Carolina are terrific people. The Cherokee people are still awesome despite how we screwed them over. Everything is worth seeing in that part of the country.

St. Louis is also great (go Cardinals!). The muddy Mississippi has alot of great history. My kids love the zoo, so I can't speak to 'adult attractions.'

See Graceland if you make it to Memphis. I want to take my daughter to the National Civil Rights Museum.

Anything in the East Coast is worth seeing, especially if you dig history.

Haven't yet been to the Rockies, but Santa Fe, NM is amazing.

If you want rugged adventure that is 'closer to home,' I think the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Canada are not far from Green Bay? Great for hiking, portage, camping, fishing, etc. Traverse City in northern Michigan is amazing. Chicago is always great in the summer (but miserable in August), plus the food is amazing (da Bears). I think in the summer the Kalamazoo/Holland, Michigan area has a bunch of festivals worth checking out too.

**I'm planning a trip to the Bahamas, anyone been there? Any advice?
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Don your Kevlar and check our the WWII museum in New Orleans.
    I do want to check out that museum but that idea was shot down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-LG
    St. Louis is also great (go Cardinals!). The muddy Mississippi has alot of great history. My kids love the zoo, so I can't speak to 'adult attractions.'
    I was in St. Louis about 7 years ago for a wedding, I was only there a day or so but it was pretty cool. The museum of the west was awesome
    See Graceland if you make it to Memphis. I want to take my daughter to the National Civil Rights Museum.
    That is on the to do list if we go that way, my buddy is a huge Elvis fan so we'd pretty much 'have to' go there (which I'm cool with).
    If you want rugged adventure that is 'closer to home,' I think the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Canada are not far from Green Bay? Great for hiking, portage, camping, fishing, etc.
    We talked about going to the BWCA last summer but my getting laid off put an end to that, my friend ended up going out to Yellowstone with his girlfriend and a few others. For whatever reason we haven't talked about going there this year.
    Traverse City in northern Michigan is amazing. Chicago is always great in the summer (but miserable in August), plus the food is amazing (da Bears). I think in the summer the Kalamazoo/Holland, Michigan area has a bunch of festivals worth checking out too.
    Funny, when I read that I thought 'Traverse City isn't in the UP (Upper Penninsula), as Cappy would say its in the 'mudder mitten.' But you're correct QLG its in the northern section of the LP. I've been to Mackinac a few times and that is pretty cool (lots of awesome history stuff) but its real 'touristy.'

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I'm planning on getting out of dodge for a few days/week this summer and I'm looking for places to go and things to do. It'll be me and a buddy for sure, possibly a few other people as well. We are open to most anything. Ideas tossed around are camping/hiking in Colorado/Montana/that general area. Going to Boston or even swinging down through St. Louis and crusing through Memphis, Nashville, the Great Smokies etc.

What I'm wondering is are what are some cool things that you people can recommend checking out? It doesn't have to be in the areas that I suggested, although due to where we live (Green Bay, Wi) the west and SE Coasts are out. As an example of "stuff to check out" each summer Milwaukee has "Summerfest" which bills itself as the worlds largest outdoor music festival.

Thanks
    Well, check out my post in the "What have YOU Done?" thread for a choice of 300+ locales I've been to over the past 30+ years.

In a general sense, try some National Park(s); they're awesome in each's own way, with history, geographical beauty, design, etc.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Well, check out my post in the "What have YOU Done?" thread for a choice of 300+ locales I've been to over the past 30+ years.
    I did, remember I said that you "get around alot." Jokes aside that list is a bit overwhelming...want to break up those visits by state to make the list a bit more manageable.
    In a general sense, try some National Park(s); they're awesome in each's own way, with history, geographical beauty, design, etc.
    I like that, well said.

Stay clear of Jellystone Park. The bears there try snatching your picnic basket.
    I am the modern man.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I did, remember I said that you "get around alot." Jokes aside that list is a bit overwhelming...want to break up those visits by state to make the list a bit more manageable. I like that, well said.
    Did you just ask me to re-list my list? Hmm... never thought of that before. Here goes then...

BEL-CAM'S BEST PLACES TO CONSIDER FOR A VACATION, BASED ON STATES HE'S VISITED:

ALABAMA
    - Selma
    - Ave Maria Grotto
    - Ivy Green
    ARIZONA
    - Canyon de Chelle
    - Grand Canyon
    ARKANSAS
    - Hot Springs
    CALIFORNIA
    - Joshua Tree National Monument
    - Hearst Castle
    - Death Valley National Park
    - San Diego
    - LACMA
    FLORIDA
    - Kennedy Space Center
    - St. Augustine
    KENTUCKY
    - Original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant
    LOUISIANA
    - New Iberia
    - State Capitol
    - French Quarter
    MICHIGAN
    - Bonner's Christmas
    NEVADA
    - Hoover Dam
    NEW MEXICO
    - Albuquerque Museum
    - Atacama Pueblo
    - Bandolier National Park
    - White Sands National Monument
    NORTH CAROLINA
    - Kill Devil Hills
    OHIO
    - Columbus (Conservatory, OSU)
    PENNSYLVANIA
    - Pittsburgh (Fort Pitt Tunnel, Point St. Park)
    TENNESSEE
    - Great Smokey Mtns. Park
    TEXAS
    - Natural Bridge Canyons
    - San Antonio
    WASHINGTON, D.C.

Will those work?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega