Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Who here makes their own Dioramas?

How many of you forum posters actually set up their star wars figures?? And if you do how long do you leave them up before you repose them?? And also when you set them up what kind of items do you use to make the backgrounds with??

I just usually set up my figures and however, the only backgrounds I've really ever used were the 3D Playset dioramas.

I had a giant Rebel base set up with every Rebel figure (including all the Hans, Lukes, Obi-Wans, Leia, etc. I have) and everyonce in awhile I would usually rearrange the base to find a way to accomodate new stuff I've gotten or just for the heck of it. I also have an Imperial base set up which I often re-arrange and right now the Imperials have taken over the 3D Cantina.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I made two dioramas where I keep all my figs
    one theed hangar and one self-created cantina
    but they're both not finished yet I could maybe though make some pics and send them

I have 2 shelves about 2' X 4'. I rotate several displays on them and each is there for 4 -6 weeks. While they are out, they get re-arrange constantly. One shelf is actually at play level. I like to use the Hasbro playsets if there is one. Otherwise, I make parts out of poplar. It is cheaper than most hardwood, easy to find, fairly clear (compaired to pine), and easy to cut. I would love to use some aluminum, or even brass, but they don't cover that on the New Yankee Workshop. The backgrounds are mostly pictures I downloaded. They only really work as window shots though.

Am I supposed to reply to this post? Hmmm.

My dioramas are setup one at a time on a 5' x 12' table. After I'm done taking the pics, kids played out the scene or getting ready for the next dio, the pieces go back into the storage boxes.
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

I actually have a 2' x 3 1/2' glass display case with 3 shelves. The top shelf is all SW figs. The other 2 are assorted figs. I have Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan set up to face Darth Maul. I have the blasted Greedo facing off against the cantina Han. And other assorted poses.

I am in the process of buliding a scene. Well, its not an exact scene. I have built a 1'x1'x2' box. The top and front are custom cut plexi-glass. It is going to be the endor scene. I have Luke and Leia on a Speeder Bike, a Biker Scout w/bike, Endor Han, 2 Endor soilders, 4 Ewoks, C3po, R2-D2, and another Biker Scout(dirty one from POTJ). I have dowel rods made to look like tree trunks, artifiacal ferns and moss from my local craft store. The top of the plexi-glass will be painted like the tops of trees so that(theoretically) when the light I mount on the top shines through, it will look like sun coming down from the trees.

I am faced with this problem though and maybe someone here can help. I need the background. I am a pretty good painter BUT, I cannot paint the endor forrest to my liking. So I thought maybe I could find a poster or large picture of the Endor Forrest or maybe of a redwood forrest. It need to be big enough so that I can cover the back and 2 sides. 1'x2' for the back and 1'x1' for the 2 sides. If its a pic of Endor it CANNOT have any characters in it for obvious reasons. I would also prefer a poster or the like, a computer print out will allow the glue to blead through and will fade over time.

Any help from anyone will be very helpful. And once its done I will post some pics.
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Originally posted by Dar' Argol
    I am faced with this problem though and maybe someone here can help. I need the background. I am a pretty good painter BUT, I cannot paint the endor forrest to my liking. So I thought maybe I could find a poster or large picture of the Endor Forrest or maybe of a redwood forrest. It need to be big enough so that I can cover the back and 2 sides. 1'x2' for the back and 1'x1' for the 2 sides. If its a pic of Endor it CANNOT have any characters in it for obvious reasons. I would also prefer a poster or the like, a computer print out will allow the glue to blead through and will fade over time.

Any help from anyone will be very helpful. And once its done I will post some pics.
    Your best bet for a poster is to get it from the frames retailers. I've been lucky to get a few which I've used for my dioramas. Ask for a California redwoods scenery if they got any. One other source would be the model train hobby shops for the backgrounds but it can get expensive.

Or you can scan the backdrop from the 12" Biker Scout with Speederbike and edit out the troops in the background.
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

Anyone have any pics of their diaramas??
    Thanks To Hango Fett/Jedi Tricks for the Avatar!

I made pics today - will send them in tomorrow
    but remember they are not finished yet