Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: YouTube: Volkswagen Super Bowl Commercial

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

I honestly don't really see the point of this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

none of us do - I think that's the point. Gotta tune in tomorrow.
    Christmas video clips 365 days a year - http://XmasDVD.com

Quote Originally Posted by XmasDVD View Post
    none of us do - I think that's the point. Gotta tune in tomorrow.
    I did, and it really was the same exact commercial, didn't say anything at all. It seems to spend a lot of time trying to play up this concept, but says nothing about the car nor about the Dark Side nor anything. And now everybody's talking about it because it uses SW iconography in a cute way, but there's nothing said IMO.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    You, sir, are a soulless Doombot.

A Doombot, say I!

Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You, sir, are a soulless Doombot.

A Doombot, say I!

Ok mister smartypants, what did this ad say about the car, that it has keyless remote starting? Big deal, Volkswagen is hardly the first on the block with that! That's like advertising "McDonalds, now selling COFFEE!"

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not that I'm defending the practice, but since when have Super Bowl ads been required to tell anything about the product?

People are talking about the commercial, and not in a bad way, so it worked.

And McDonald's, I think, has actually had commercials saying they now sell coffee.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Not that I'm defending the practice, but since when have Super Bowl ads been required to tell anything about the product?

People are talking about the commercial, and not in a bad way, so it worked.

And McDonald's, I think, has actually had commercials saying they now sell coffee.
    Pretty thin, Chux. You call me out claiming I'm a soulless minion of Doom, and then back it up with "well, it's just marketing".

Also, McDonalds has ads for regular coffee, but they don't play it up like it's some big new feature they just came up with. This VW ad at best is saying their car has remote starting like it's something novel, which it is not. They may as well be having the kid roll the windows up with the Force by having the dad press the electric window button in the door.

It's cute. They meant it to stick in heads and get people talking, not delineate the features of the car.

Your initial post seemed to indicate you didn't see any redeeming qualities in it whatsoever. Not thinking this is a fun commercial would indicate a degree of Doombottiness.
    Tommy, close your eyes.