Article: Hasbro Counting on Price Hikes to Offset Sosts

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

"Sales are down, so how do we combat? Raise prices!"

That is one business decision I've never agreed with. Look at Sideshow, they've been doing that for years now and every figure gets more expensive and more exclusive to try to offset how expensive they are. It's a downward spiral, to offset you charge more, but when you charge more your sales dry up, so to offset the weakened sales you charge more, rinse, lather, repeat.

Pushing $9 a pop for TVC figures and $8 for CW at my local stores is making this hobby difficult to continue in. The figures just aren't worth it anymore, too many repetitive rehashes that don't address the biggest issues (like no good Han Solo figures, or figures that can't stand not having ankle articulation, or lack of accessories).

It's even worse if you collect multiple Hasbro lines. They're making me be more selective. Collecting hasn't hit the "hardship" point, but it's definitely expensive enough where the entire "impulse buy" aspect is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It's even worse if you collect multiple Hasbro lines. They're making me be more selective. Collecting hasn't hit the "hardship" point, but it's definitely expensive enough where the entire "impulse buy" aspect is gone.
    So true. I also collect Transformers, and the basic figures are now up to $10 at most stores, while those same stores are selling deluxe figures for sometimes $9 simply to sell through the most popular product faster. But where I'd be more free to buy basics I wasn't sure about, now I'm selective, and that subconsciously seems to be slowing my Deluxe purchases even when they're lower price.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.