Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Packaging

2012 Packaging

I'm not sure if this technically fits in the Vintage forum since this may be the death knell of the Vintage line but here goes....

The folks over at SW.com have posted images of the new packaging for 2012. I guess the whole line will revolve around the rerelease of the Phantom Menace on the big screen.

Frankly I think the packaging is okay. I like that we're moving away from all Clone Wars all the time, but having Maul be the dominant image on the cardbacks may make it difficult to flip through those figures on the pegs to find the one you want waaaaay in the back. Also, I'll be sad to see the vintage line go though, getting away from the coffin blisters may mean more goodies packed with our figures but I can only imagine what that would do to the price.

My biggest concern though is seeing a return to the bad old days where Legacy, Legends, and CW all had essentially the same packaging which lead to real shortages when clueless stockers filled the pegs with only one or two of the lines. As the interview says, there will not even be a variation in packaging for the CW stuff so I'm already having nightmares about seeing pegs crammed with figures no one wants that just sit there.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    My biggest concern though is seeing a return to the bad old days where Legacy, Legends, and CW all had essentially the same packaging which lead to real shortages when clueless stockers filled the pegs with only one or two of the lines.
    Or, as we call that around here, "today."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm not down wid it.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I thought they said at Toy Fair that Vintage was running at least through 2012 at this point. If that is the case, this would only replace the Shadows of the Darkside packaging we have now.

I think that it will be really weird to have Darth Maul on a Clone wars figure's package, but I guess it is no stranger than having Captain Rex on an AT-AT, Cloud Car or Snow Speeder box like it is now.

Hasbro has said that the Vintage Collection will continue at least through 2012, so hopefully it'll still be running, and that this line look will just replace everything in the Rex-centered "shadows of the Dark Side" stuff (which is also non-Hasbro). (sonofsokol beat me to it by one minute. ) Hopefully, though, the Episode I figures released for the 3D release will be on the vintage cards, since I'm really looking to carded figures like Darth Maul and Jar Jar. Maybe the Obi-Wan shown in the image (if it's even released and not just a mock-up) will be in a type of Saga Legends line, to bring in kids.

Regardless of the vintage issue, I think the packaging looks great so far. I don't think it'll be jarring to have Darth Maul on everything, since he is technically around in The Clone Wars in some way, shape, or form. I'm glad they're not just pushing TPM aside anymore. Though I do wonder why they made this announcement a year before the packaging will show up.

Oh, and I also like how the figure's first name is bigger, as opposed to how they've been making the last name bigger for a few years now. That makes a lot more sense.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I can't wait to buy Product Name. I've been wanting a toy of that for ages!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I can't wait to buy Product Name. I've been wanting a toy of that for ages!
    Yeah, but toys from the sequel: Product Line II: The E-Store Continues were a little flat to me.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I guess I'm indifferent to the new look. It definitely not anything to get excited about. I might change my mind when I actually see it, but we'll see.

I hope they will at least do something along the lines of having a different color band on the bottom or the text of the characters names to differentiate between the lines (Legends, CW)...at least the current packaging has that. Otherwise, I like the clean, uncluttered look of the new cards, especially the lighter background for behind the figure.

I don't know how necessary it is to have Maul across all of the lines...I'm still not digging the idea of his more-than-likely eventual "return" on "Clone Wars"...but that's another subject.

I do like seeing "The Phantom Menace" on the vintage cards...I hope we get some great re-dos of the main characters (including Jar Jar...there, I said it )....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012card.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	24595

Sooo...we try to sell an entire movie figure line by having a character that was in probably only 15 minutes out of over 750 minutes of movie on the card?

Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!