Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged

Well, it's been decades in the making, finally "Atlas Shrugged" will open in theaters on April 15th. I have seen the trailers and clips.

This will likely be an incredible film.

Who else is excited about this?
    May the force be with you.

Well, our English dept. has been getting discount offers to buy class sets of The Fountainhead, AS, etc. in our mailboxes for years. So, I have little interest in it, sorry.

That's tax day here in the States. Did you know that the Titanic sank on the 15th in 1912? Could mean it would be a titanic box office failure. And Abraham Lincoln was declared dead on that date in 1865, another sad event. But then, Jackie Robinson joined MLB that day back in '47, so it could be a historic occurence, too. Who knows?

Why did I just post all that? :shrug:
    "That's what Sheev said."

Of course April 15th is no coincidence.

I believe the film will do well, the timing of this film couldn't be more fitting IMO. The book itself is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and the theme is one I believe many will connect with in today's environment.

Early reviews are also very good.

I predict that headlines will read "audiences shrugged", no matter the quality of the film, and I predict it mainly because it's essentially an unmarketed movie, it's an independent, low-budget movie, and it's only part 1 of 3, all of which suggests low turnout. Oh, and "Who is John Galt" is going to be a problematic advertising phrase for the movie since, as I understand it, that doesn't pay off until the 3rd film, or maybe they'll butcher the story to move it to the front.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    The book itself is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and the theme is one I believe many will connect with in today's environment.
    It is because of the BIOSHOCK franchise.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Why did I just post all that? :shrug:
    Trying to hide being condescending by being creative?
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller View Post
    It is because of the BIOSHOCK franchise.
    I suspect the current political atmosphere has a lot to do with it as well. I have seen more than a few "Who is John Galt" signs at protest rallies over the last year or two.

Politics aside the philospohical under pinnings are intriguing to say the least.

I put Atlas Shrugged right up there with Orwell's "1984" and Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451".

So in the Bioshock lore...Fontaine is Galt?
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Nothing to do with the book, but if Greek mythology were true and Atlas were indeed to shrug, would it smush all of us under the weight of the heavens?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Nothing to do with the book, but if Greek mythology were true and Atlas were indeed to shrug, would it smush all of us under the weight of the heavens?
    Yes.....................
    MWHAHAHAHA!