Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: SirSteve's Guide 2010 Year In Review

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Overall, I bought much more stuff in 2010 than I expected to. I think the Vintage Collection is turning out to be the strongest overall line of realistic figures so far. The only real misstep has been that Hasbro seems to have significantly overestimated the demand for ROTS Clonetroopers and Sandtroopers.

BEST ANIMATED BASIC FIGURES:
    The Clone Wars line probably accounted for more than 60% of my impulse spending this year, mainly because the quality of the figures themselves was so good. Embo, Cato Parasiti, Kid Boba and Zombie Geonosian were all surprisingly well made figures; but my favorite for the year has to go to Bossk. I never saw the Rise of Boba Fett Slave 1 at retail, so I was forced to pay $27 for Bossk on Ebay; but once I saw the figure in hand, I felt that every single penny was money well spent.

BEST REALISTIC BASIC FIGURES:
    Gamorrean Guard, Wicket, Gamorrean Guard, Wooof, Gamorrean Guard, Admiral Ackbar, Gamorrean Guard, Endor Capture Luke and did I mention the Gamorrean Guard? All of wave 3 was amazing! From waves 1 and 2, I also liked C-3PO, Hoth Leia and the Magnaguard, but I feel that they are totally overshadowed by the quality of the wave 3 offerings.

WORST BASIC FIGURES:
    The ROTS Clonetrooper would be a terrible figure even without all the snafus that it experienced this year (missing paint apps, green tinted helmets). Echo Base Han Solo probably gets second place for being the most pointless figure released in 2010. Cloud Car Pilot gets the #3 spot, just based on ugliness alone; but at least he can be hidden away in the cockpit of the Cloud Car.

BEST DELUXE FIGURE AND VEHICLE:
    I didn't buy any of these so I really have nothing to add. I was tempted to get the Mandolorian with Speeder pack, but could never pull the trigger on the purchase.

BEST BATTLE PACK / MULTI-PACK / COMIC PACK:
    Again, since I didn't buy any, I can't really choose a best here. The only BP that I'm still tempted to buy is the Clone Wars set with the animated Talz figure.

BEST VEHICLE OF THE YEAR:
    AT-AT. Easy choice. I guess second place for me, personally, would be the Vintage Boxed TIE Fighter; but since I really only bought it for the vintage box, I guess it really belongs in the category of Best Vehicle Box of the Year (which would probably still go to the AT-AT). The Snowspeeder is a great vehicle, but I wouldn't have even considered the purchase if the AT-AT wasn't also released this year. I debated about whether to buy the Cloud Car, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. If I had actually seen the CW Slave 1, I would have probably bought it. As it is now, I'll just hold off until an ESB version gets released.

BEST ODDITY:
    Gotta go with the Galactic Heroes AT-AT. That thing is just cool!

SURPRISE OF THE YEAR:
    I have to say Hasbro's 3 3/4" Gamorrean Guard. Not because we didn't know it was coming, but because of how amazing the figure itself turned out. The fact that it makes Sideshow's 12" Gamorrean look like an embarrassment, just shows what Hasbro is really capable of. It's rare when you are anticipating a figure for years, that the final product still manages to blow away even your wildest expectations.

MOST WANTED 3 3/4" FIGURES:
    I would want to see SA updates of Barada and the vintage Weequay, along with Vedain and Velken Tezeri to round out the guards on the Prisoner Skiff. Then a new Lando Skiff along with new versions of Skiff Battle Luke and Han. I'd also love to see an updated SA Cantina Band Member on a vintage card.

MOST WANTED VEHICLES:
    All-new, larger Tatooine Skiff. I've honestly given up hope for a Sail Barge at this point. If Hasbro does release one, then it will make it onto my "Surprise of the Year" list for whatever year it gets released. I would also like to see a completely remade Darth Vader's TIE Fighter that's rebuilt from the ground up (I guess they could recycle the solar panels if they want).

MOST ANTICIPATED FOR 2011:
    Kithaba and Castas! Weequay Skiff Master would be #3 on that list if I didn't already own one. Also looking forward to picking up some of the Revenge of the Jedi carded figures. In addition, since we have Chewbacca and some Tradoshans showing up in Clone Wars, I'm looking forward to whatever figure will undoubtedly come from that.

2010 STAR WARS FIGURE OF THE YEAR:
    Gamorrean Guard! As if there was any doubt. Best figure of the year. Best figure in the entire 33 year history of the Star Wars line. No doubt in my mind about that.

Thanks for your take on it BB! Now what about everyone else?

BEST ANIMATED BASIC FIGURES:
    IG-86. Got it for my daughter and immediately wanted seven for myself. But couldn't find them.

BEST REALISTIC BASIC FIGURES:
    Woooooooof

WORST BASIC FIGURES:
    Gree. Totally unnecessary. It might just be my opinion, but, really, how many of this 5-second character have we gotten? NO MORE GREES, HASBRO!!!!

BEST DELUXE FIGURE AND VEHICLE:
    No opinion.

BEST BATTLE PACK / MULTI-PACK / COMIC PACK:
    Fixer and Camie. Because they're Fixer and Camie.

BEST VEHICLE OF THE YEAR:
    I only bought the Twin-Pod Cloud Car, so that would have to be the wiener.

BEST ODDITY:
    I consider the vintage cards to be quite an oddity, using the name of a defunct branch of Hasbro and all, so I'd say the vintage cards.

SURPRISE OF THE YEAR:
    Star Tours Boarding Party. I nearly pooped my pants when I first read about that.

MOST WANTED 3 3/4" FIGURES:
    Chukha-Trok, Noa Briqualon, King Terak, Fozec, Erdan, Weazel

MOST WANTED VEHICLES:
    Sail Barge. No question.

MOST ANTICIPATED FOR 2011:
    A Dr. Evazan who doesn't look like a supporting character from Ducktales or Goof Troop, and a Barriss Offee who isn't based on the cut scene where she performs at the opera.

2010 STAR WARS FIGURE OF THE YEAR:
    TEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Best Animated Figure:
    1. Embo-Colorful bounty hunter with lots of nice detailing.
    2. Magna Guard
    3. Shaak Ti - The most underrated figure of the year.
    4. Cmdr. Rex-Snow Gear -Loved the whole snowtrooper look.
    5. Pre Vizla
    6. Cato Parasiti

Best Real Figure:
    1. Gamorrean Guard-The only bad thing about this figure was its availability.
    2. Woof-Excellent details and soft goods. Hasbro's done an excellent job on skiff guards lately.
    3. Magna Guard-Soft goods and articulation were superb. I army built this one alot.
    4. Leia Hoth
    5. Luke Bespin
    6. AT-AT Cmdr.
    7. Darth Sidious-I ended up really liking this one. Sure, his facial expression is extreme, but it fits for the senate duel scene. I also thought the soft goods were done very well too.
    8. Snowtrooper Legends-They fixed the wide stance problem, improving its looks tremendously. That plus its availability, made this an excellent army builder.

Worst Figure:
    1. ROTS Clone-Same problems as everyone else:Bad sculpt and greenish head.
    2. Han Echo
    3. C3P0-As much as I wanted to like this one, I found it to be really disappointing.

Best Deluxe:
    1. Obi-Wan with Freeco Speeder
    2. Anakin with Naboo Star Skiff
    3. Cad Bane with Speeder Bike
    4. Mandalorian with Speeder

Best BattlePack/Multipack/ComicPack:
    1. 4LOM/Zuckuss 2pack-I'm not sure if this falls in this category or not. I thought the tribute to the "mistake" they made 30 years ago was neat. I also liked the fact that these figures were in vintage colors.

Best Surprise:
    1. Jabba's Throne

Best Oddity:
    1. Rocket Firing Fett

Best Vehicle:
    1. AT-AT-By far the best vehicle of the year, one of the best of all time.
    2. Slave 1
    3. Snowspeeder
    4. Cloud Car
    5. Xanadu Blood-Basically a repaint, but a really nice one.

Most anticipated figures 2011:
    1. Dr. Evazan-#1 on my list.
    2. Bespin Han-#2 on my list.
    3. Kithaba
    4. Weequay Skiff Master

Most Wanted Vehicles: (a guy can dream, right?)
    1. Sail Barge
    2. Sandcrawler
    3. Tatooine Skiff

Most Wanted Figures:
    1. Admiral Piett
    1. Any cantina alien
    2. Any of Jabba's thugs

Figure of the Year: Gamorrean Guard

First off, let me mention that a lot of the stuff folks are talking about here NEVER made it's way up here, so JT's mention of lack-of-availability issues really hits home with me...

However, I did find enough stuff to pick up and enjoy over the last year so....here goes!

Best Animated Basic Figure: Embo! Cool character design, cool figure. (good thing these CW figures come w/ stands, though...they just flop over without them!)

Best Basic (Vintage line) Figure: It's a tie for me...Gamorrean Guard is just too cool, but another unexpected and great figure is the Magna Guard! Light-years ahead of the original release, it just looks fantastic. As others have mentioned, the whole ROTJ-themed wave really was a high point for the line. Another issue that I liked was seeing AOTC on a vintage-style card...only saw 'em once, but it looked great.

Best Vehicle: The AT-AT, without a doubt...beautifully sculpted, engineered and detailed toy...the old version always figured somewhere in my collection and this new version is just terrific!

Best 1:6 scale figure: I've been enjoying the heck out of the various Clones that Sideshow has been offering, but in this recent onslaught of figures comes a truly original looking character that had never been realized in this scale before....Hammerhead! A great job here...from the detailing, costume, sculpt, paint apps...it all comes together in a really great presentation of this cool cantina denizen! Most honorable mention goes to the Gamorrean Guard...another well-rendered figure.

I'm really gonna miss....those Comic Packs. It was a cool way to see some characters that otherwise would have never seen the light of day. I hope they're just on "hiatus" and not gone for good...

Bummer of the year has got to be the price increase of basic figures. And why oh why are vintage figures a buck more everywhere? It's keeping me from going out and getting each vintage figure that comes out...at $9 a pop up here for these, they've gotta be really something to warrant the purchase... (Dis)honorable mention goes to the old standby of availability. Wish it weren't so...

Many thanks to Sirsteve, JediTricks and Tycho for providing another fun read...and congrats on the new site. Here's to another fun year collecting SW and reading about it here!

Favorite Animated Figures:
    1. Embo
    2. Bossk
    3. Pre Vizsla
    4. Shaak Ti
    5. Undead Geonosian

Favorite Realistic Figures:
    1. K’Kruhk
    2. Phase I Dark Trooper
    3. Wooof
    4. Shaak Ti (Force Unleashed)
    5. Admiral Ackbar

Biggest Peg Warmers in my Area
    1. ROTS Clone Trooper (TVC)
    2. Sand Trooper (TVC)
    3. Dengar (TVC)
    4. 4-LOM (TVC)
    5. Mandalorian Police Officer (CW)

Favorite Deluxe Figure and Vehicle Packs
    1. Mandalorian Speeder w/Mandalorian Warrior
    2. Pirate Speeder Bike w/Cad Bane
    3. AT-RT w/ARF Trooper Boil
    4. Naboo Star Skiff w/Anakin Skywalker

Favorite Battle Pack/Multi Pack/Comic Pack
    1. ARC Troopers
    2. Anti-Hailfire Droid Squad

Biggest Oddity in my Star Wars Collecting
    1. My obsession to collect all of the Star Wars Mighty Beanz

Biggest Letdowns

1. The delay/cancelling of the Galactic Heroes AT-ST. As soon as it was announced that it was a Kohl’s exclusive I knew we were in for trouble.
    2. The remote controlled Millenium Falcon

Most Anticipated stuff for 2011
    1. ARC Trooper Commander (Vintage)
    2. Barris Offee (both Vintage and Clone Wars)
    3. Aqua Droid (CW)
    4. The new Clone Wars figure and vehicle packs

- BEST ANIMATED BASIC FIGURES -

Since I don't usualy watch the Clone Wars due to not having an outside source for TV I usualy skip out on them. However this year I saw one that was just too good for me to pass up. Cato Parasitti is made of win! I love the detail on her eyes, the rifle, the flip down visor, and her paint apps are perfect. But what I really like about her is that for some reason she seems to be a rather expressive figure when posed. I have her set up with her visor flipped up, holding her rifle across her shoulders with one hand and gesturing with the other as if she's talking. Don't know anything about the character, but I like the figure.

- BEST REALISTIC BASIC FIGURES -

R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber (with drink tray), hands down for me. This is THE figure I'd been waiting for since they started making new figures in 1995. I even figured out that the drink tray will work on my electronic R2 that I got in 1996 or so, who I have since repainted into a different droid, so I was able to use most of the accessories. My absolute only regret with this figure was that it was SO DARN HARD TO FIND! I did eventualy get two, one for christmas, which Im keeping packaged, and the other in a trade, but I still want one more. I'll probably be a sucker if I'm able to find it twice on the Revenge of the Jedi cardback in stores as It would be cool to have one figure, especialy THIS figure on that card back. But I'm going to be really irritated if figures keep being so hard to come by.

- WORST BASIC FIGURES -

ROTS vintage line clone trooper. He's still taking up more than half the shelf space at the local stores here.

- BEST DELUXE FIGURE & VEHICLE -
    Jaba. Unfortunately as was the case with most of what came out around here in December, he never showed up.

- BEST BATTLEPACK / MULTI-PACK / COMIC PACK -

Geonosis R2-D2 and C-3PO for me. I love both figures and am thrilled to finaly get a realistic R2 with most of the features that the clone wars version came with.

- BEST VEHICLE OF THE YEAR -
    AT-AT. Even god wants one.

- BEST ODDITY -
    I tend to mostly only collect the figures, so I can't say anything about oddities.

- SURPRISE OF THE YEAR -
    I have 3 that are equaly tied.

Sir Steve's Guide's update (Yeah yeah I know that's technicaly this year but yall where late with the reveiw so Im counting it in last year). I love everything about it, aside for the fact that the only way for me to read comments on the news stories seems to be for me to hit reply to every single post.

The next surprise would be the Vintage Rocket Firing Boba Fett. I love mine, and need to figure out where to buy star cases so I can put him in one. It's been a long time since I collected packaged figures, so I'm not really sure where to get these anymore.

Last surprise is how darn blasted hard it was at the end of the year to find any of the new stuff. Usualy Christmas is the ONLY time of year I can count on finding new stuff on the shelvs other than when they re-set the entire line nation wide. This "surprise" was a huge dissapointment for me, and I find that I'm unable to scream about it every chance I get because it makes me so angry.

- MOST WANTED 3 3/4" FIGURES -

A third ROTJ Vintage R2.

- MOST WANTED VEHICLES -

- MOST ANTICIPATED FOR 2011 -

I'm not really all that excited by anything I've seen so far for 2011. There are a few figures I plan to get, but as far as ones that are OMG MUST HAVE THAT! figures? there really aren't any. If I can't find them in stores I really am not going to go to a lot of trouble to track the few down that I want.

- 2010 STAR WARS FIGURE OF THE YEAR -
    R2-D2. But by know, you already knew that.

Great recap everyone! Being out of the collecting end for a while hyperlinks would have been cool so I could see the figures everyone was talking about as I read, I know its a lot of links and code but just an idea! Thanks again for the in depth reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Whask View Post
    Great recap everyone! Being out of the collecting end for a while hyperlinks would have been cool so I could see the figures everyone was talking about as I read, I know its a lot of links and code but just an idea! Thanks again for the in depth reviews!
    Hasbro's 2010 Vintage Collection Gamorrean Guard - very difficult to spot in the wild:
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis