Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation Farscape's NEW new direction?

CAUTION: For those of you who are not caught up with the current episode for any reason (i.e., "I missed it", "I live in a country where they haven't aired season 3 yet", "what's Farscape?"), then this thread will contain
    SPOILERS!

So, if you've read this far, you know that Stark took off to look for Zahn's spirit and left his mask behind for the surviving Crichton, who got it when Talon found Moya and the 2 crews reunited. As soon as Crichton touched it, it set off a holographic message that the "other", dead Crichton left within it detailing the rest of the wormhole situation and how the surviving one has to stop Scorpius from unlocking this technology and destroying the universe. These are the 2 points that I want to talk about...

It seems to me that Farscape keeps reinventing itself every season or so, but these two things have the potential to turn Farscape from a show about these characters into a show about Crichton's mission, and I'm not sure if that's a good idea; while on the other hand, Stark's mission seems to feel exactly like the way Farscape has conducted business throughout it's run, whether he finds her or not. Stark's mission seems like a multi-episode storyline, but not a change of the show's core, but Crichton's mission, which has sucked in the rest of the group, seems like a change directly at the core of what the show is about. Is that a good idea, giving it a "mission" like First Wave, Star Trek: Voyager or B5: Crusade? I've always felt that Farscape stands out from most other shows because it's almost an anthology, like Stargate SG1, The Chronicle, even Lexx in a way; they have running storylines and a standard cast of characters, beyond their themes, they see and do totally new things to survive or just to live, and that's what we see, not "we must do this episode to get to the next" type of stuff. Do you think Farscape will become a "one-mission, one-goal" show that concentrates on that, and if so, is this OK with you? Or do you think that this is just another running story arc that'll play itself out and let the show continue on after they've done their thing, a la Earth: Final Conflict (best example I could come up with)?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Farscape's NEW new direction?

Originally posted by JediTricks
    "I live in a country where they haven't aired season 3 yet"
    I want to know whats up with that??? Its made here in Australia,Not far away from where I live and yet you guys are way ahead of us in watching them! Makes me mad
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

That's just the way the distribution works, it almost always seems to come here before any other country. Babylon 5 was the same way in the UK, it was SOOOO hard discussing that show when it was still airing because we'd discuss stuff like "Garabaldi just betrayed Sheridan!" and then there'd be a half-dozen Brits having freak-out posts since we'd blown MAJOR plot devices that were as far as a year away for them.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

What's your opinion on the new season? I was browsing Entertainment Weekly last weekend and they had a full page advert for both Farscape and Stargate SG1 with a little collectible card . . . I still haven't watched the show, although JJB has recommend it to me. I like the plot synopsises I've heard, I tried renting the first DVD but couldn't find it. I just don't want to take a chance by purchasing it, so I'm thinking about joining the series "in progress" and if I like what I see I can always into it retroactively.

Just buy the first DVD Caesar, and if you don't like it toss it on Ebay. Unfortunatly, this series is a little difficult to jump right into the middle of, due to the fact everything that happens, is part of the story. Unlike Star Trek, where somthing major can happen one week, and then be forgotten from that point on.

Plus right now, the crew is pretty broken up, and one has sadly died. I won't say who, since it ruins the story to know who and how. But the charecters really do grow and change with each episode of the series. Give it a try, it's well worth the investment to watch it from the beginning.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It is a great show from what I have seen, which isn't that much. I was hoping Sci-Fi would show the series from the beginning but it looks like they are scattering the episodes.

Also Caeser, I (and I know JT will too) recommend Babylon 5. Sci-Fi is currently showing it from beginning to end, and they are in season 2 right now. It's not a bad place to start, even though some pivotal story parts have been forming already. To me it is one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories I have seen, and it comes real close to SW for me.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

The mision thing would turn me off farscape. I'm bored of the wormhole story arc already and I still didn't catch all of season two yet. Crichton is just one aspect of the show. The other crew members and the ships themselves are all as important. I care that Moya got burned to a crisp that Talyn is in pain or whatever, that's what makes farscape so different from other yawn inducing shows. When Stark got mean it was after very careful pacing and tons of build up, a natural progression of character not a convenient leap for the sake of the episode. When Aryn Sun lost Crichton and went loopy in that hotel room and then returned to the point at which we first met her - cold and soulless and hard military discipline, that was gut wrenching to watch but totally believable as a reaction to her loss after having grown so much as a person with Crichton. But it all happened as aspects of the greater story or mythology that farscape was creating. To simply quest with Crichton makes it seem narrow and limited and I haven't even seen it yet. The idea seems idiotic but to be honest season two was going along those lines to a certain degree anyway. Scorpius is a great character but he's overused. It was fine to have the scorpius in Crichtons head pop up at the most inopportune moments and provide some creepy tension or comic relief. But it's almost like they haven't got anything better to use half the time. It's a big universe, Scorpius can't be everywhere all the time. It'd be nice to see him put to bed for a while.

Wow, it's ancient thread #441! We've got 10,000 threads now, so this one is a geezer.

Caesar, the new season just started 2 days ago, I've only seen the first ep and it's yet another 2-parter (or more), so I have little solid stuff to judge, including this possibly-new cast member who I've already dubbed "Jool-Junior" but may not stick around for long, I dunno. From what I saw, it starts off with a slightly more grim situation than anything that's come before it in terms of general feeling, but it still feels twice as good as most of the TV programming I've caught lately. It's a bit of rebuilding, so everything is up in the air.

I watched the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3 before I saw any of the previous episodes and it still worked incredibly well for me. However, SFC did air the entire series up to that point right afterwords, and with that hindsight I can say that there is something great to be said about watching so many interesting relationships begin - it's a fantastic chain of events, if you come in towards the middle it's like enjoying a delicious meal, but if you wait to come in from the beginning, you might get a better sense of how these ingredients came together to create the meal. IMO, you can probably pull it off if jump in now just so long as you give it a chance and allow yourself to accept some things will have to be covered in your essential-Farscape later, possibly when SFC decides to air the series in order on a DAILY basis instead of weekly again (they probably will again within 6 months, that's how I saw it, one ep in order from the first ep per day, it was a nice catch-up).

---GENTLE SPOILERS BELOW---
    Jargo, I had no idea this "new direction" - the whole "mission" thing I was talking about of last season - would end so quickly (once they finally aired it this last FRIGGIN' APRIL! Let me put this in perspective for you, my first post above was written 8 months before the "final 4" eps of that season aired, those eps that cleared up much of what I was saying above. In that time, Sci Fi Channel has deep-sixed all other original programming including Lexx and The Chronicle.), yes, I'm saying that my fears were for naught as the series has definitely not become what I thought. I think the wormhole thing is always going to be important to Crichton, but that's definitely not his main concern anymore, and now there are new problems and enemies to concern the story arc with.

Have you picked up any of the DVD's, JT? I think they are great, especially the occassional one with Audio Commentary. Plus you get the extended UK cuts of the series, since they show less commercials over there. Gotta love the "Delvian Ear Kiss". I think it has to definatly be one of the most refreshing Sci-Fi TV series in years, if ever. Babylon 5 is close, but I think that Farscape tips the scales a little more. Thank the gods that they were renewed for a 4th and 5th season.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    It is a great show from what I have seen, which isn't that much. I was hoping Sci-Fi would show the series from the beginning but it looks like they are scattering the episodes.

Also Caeser, I (and I know JT will too) recommend Babylon 5. Sci-Fi is currently showing it from beginning to end, and they are in season 2 right now. It's not a bad place to start, even though some pivotal story parts have been forming already. To me it is one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories I have seen, and it comes real close to SW for me.
    First off, if anybody doesn't take QLD's word on Babylon 5 being one of the greatest and something highly-recommendable, then I believe you're missing out. B5 is a fantastic, self-contained, grand piece of science fiction - it's like the other side of the sci-fi coin from Farscape. Both are fantastic, top of the genre, yet very different from each other, luckily sci-fi is more like a pair of 12-sided dice than a 2-sided coin so there is a lot of room for Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who, etc.. (yet Sci Fi Channel can't seem to find much of ANY of that anymore!!!)

QLD, keep watching SFC for updates, when I first jumped into Farscape during the end of Season 2, they were just preparing to air all of the series up until that point on a daily basis, by the middle of season 3, I was TOTALLY caught up. I have a feeling within about 6 months, they'll do this again.

JJB, I'm afraid I can't afford the DVDs of any series, much as I would love to have DVD collections of: Farscape, Star Trek, ST:TNG, Babylon 5, and of course the Star Wars OOT. Heck, right now, I don't even have spare funds to RENT them . Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll keep it in mind for when I can afford such things.