Does Ahsoka cross-draw her lightsabers in Season 3?

I got the season 3 Ahsoka figure recently, and she comes with 2 lightsaber hilts for her belt, one short and one long. However, I cannot remember if she cross-draws her lightsabers or not. (That means she would grab a saber on her left hip with her right hand.) Most Jedi in the films cross-draw the way a knight would draw his sword (this is intentional on the filmmakers' part as a piece of cinematic language to express a small thing to the audience about the characters, subtly linking Jedi with Samurai, for example).

We know Ahsoka is predominately right-handed when it comes to saber-work, seasons 1 and 2 confirmed that. Season 3 images I've found online show her wearing the shorter saber on her right hip. But all the pics I've found from the show where she's USING both sabers have one saber out of frame, so it's hard to tell which one she's holding. The few promo pics online from Lucasfilm seem to contradict each other, some sites showing it flipped (she's fairly symmetrical from most angles, with only the head-tail necklace on the back showing a side preference, to the right in that case, but most images don't show it anyway).

It's also difficult in stills to make the sabers out from each other, the pommels are the same, as are the lower sections with the activation buttons, it's only the length of the forward part and the lack of the clips at the end which differentiates them (the shorter saber has no clips, the longer one has a clip on either side of the beam emitter).

So, does Ahsoka use the short saber in her right hand and the long saber in her left hand from a cross-draw? My guess is she does, but am not sure.

And if anybody confirms this from visual evidence, to take it one step further, does Ahsoka draw the short or long saber first? (Not that I plan a ton of Ahsoka drawing her lightsabers at the same time poses for the figure, but you never know when that pose might come up.)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I may not be the best to discuss this, but, from what you've described, it would certainly sound like she cross-draws (even though, if you really think about it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draw a bladeless unactivated hilt the same way one would draw an actual sword). The longer of the two would usually be used as the primary (though Musashi pioneered, or at least popularized, a style in the 17th century where the swords were equally important), so that would be the one in her right hand if she's been demonstrated to be right-handed. Different samurai drew them differently, though, depending on their school of swordsmanship, either simultaneously or in a given order, and there was sometimes a lot of variation between schools.

Then again, most historical images I've seen of samurai show them wearing both swords on the same side, though on opposite hips isn't unheard of.

Bottom line: I'm not putting down The Clone Wars when I say this, but I'd suspect Ahsoka's style is probably based more on the popular modern conception of the samurai than on anything from history. I'd wager she draws them simultaneously (until it's shown otherwise), simply because it looks cooler.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hey JT, I just checked the episode guide for Season 3 Episode 19 "Counterattack" And image 17 of 50 of the slide show clearly shows Ahsoka with her short saber on her right hip and her standard saber on her left hip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ahsoka.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	24764

Then picture 29 shows her with her short saber still on her right hip while she is holding her standard saber in her right hand, so it would appear that she does indeed cross draw her sabers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ahsoka.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	24763

She's barely used them so far (only in the Mortis and Citadel trilogies, and Padawan Lost, though I assume she'll have to recover her sabers or build new ones), but from what I recall if she only uses one then she uses the long one, so I assume (though I can't recall definitively) that she draws the long one before the short one.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I just rewatched the season 3 finale (the last 2 episodes) and it shows Ahsoka drawing both light sabers simultaneously right before she is caught by the trandoshan near the beginning of Padawan Lost.

Thanks for the confirmation on this, gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    even though, if you really think about it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draw a bladeless unactivated hilt the same way one would draw an actual sword
    I disagree, drawing them like a sword brings the wielder to a state of ready as soon as it's drawn. If they were to simply draw it like a 6-gun on their hip, they would have a much longer state where the draw wouldn't produce a readied weapon, and once the arm finally was ready, the weapon would still not be facing the proper angle.

Actually, let me revise that part, because in season 3, Ahsoka does seem to actually hold her sabers backwards from the traditional, with the blade running down beneath her hand. That's something which doesn't really make sense for a lightsaber, where there's no spine to stop against the wielder's arm, so the user ends up nearly defenseless with a blocked blade pushed into their own arm. But for this specific topic, it also appears to be impossible, she's cross-drawing, so either she's drawing them underhanded and has an extendable arm to do so, or she's flipping them in mid-draw which defeats the whole purpose of cross-drawing them. (A third alternative would be that she's drawing them with beam-emitters up, but it's clear to see that she's not wearing them that way.)

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

On this point, I'm somewhat surprised that they gave her the shoto in the first place. I thought the idea was that, with Anakin's training, she'd start holding her saber and fighting more like he does. So far, that hasn't really happened at all, so it's strange that she'd go even further from his style and adopt the two sabers (even though they do say he taught her that). Perhaps now that they're more on the same page after Wookiee Hunt it'll happen.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I was actually thinking (and I'm not sure why) that the blade would add weight and throw off the balance mid-draw, which doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Carry on, carry on.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I guess once those egghead scientists get around to creating a real, live lightsaber, we can discover the techniques ourselves. Or, catch a YouBoob clip of those who fail at doing so.

I just wonder if its just a lightsaber version of the mohawk: it's different, it gets your attention quickly, but doesn't actually do anything except show off your "style." She wants to show Anakin and other Jedi she's not just a Padawan anymore.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    On this point, I'm somewhat surprised that they gave her the shoto in the first place. I thought the idea was that, with Anakin's training, she'd start holding her saber and fighting more like he does. So far, that hasn't really happened at all, so it's strange that she'd go even further from his style and adopt the two sabers (even though they do say he taught her that). Perhaps now that they're more on the same page after Wookiee Hunt it'll happen.
    I think they probably wanted her to stand out as an action hero more, and not be just another of the same-ol' Jedi. Anakin's fighting style really isn't particularly stand-out in the prequels, he's aggressive but visually he's just another left-hand-over-right single-saber wielder most of the time, and not showing that bold strength he does in the OT. I would think the 2 sabers makes her seem more aggressive and thus more like him in spirit, which is to say, more drawn to Dark Side tendencies. Almost every promotional shot of S3 Ahsoka is an angry or aggressive face.

The Wookieepedia article claims that she's a user of Shien style and that Anakin has been trying to break her of that, to have her adopt Djem So (the article incorrectly states "Form V", but Shien and Djem So are both part of that): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ahsoka#Behind_the_scenes
    If that's the case, then perhaps the reversed-grip style she's now double-adopted is a statement about her relationship with Plo Koon guiding her away from Anakin's influence.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I was actually thinking (and I'm not sure why) that the blade would add weight and throw off the balance mid-draw, which doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Carry on, carry on.
    Well, no, it does and it doesn't. In real life, the Jedi are actors who use hilts with dowels, so they carry weight. Since those are the genesis of all Jedi saber actions, it makes sense that one would perceive of their being weight to the blade. It also seems like a necessity because the hilt with a weightless blade would be extremely difficult to balance at all times, and would make defending extremely difficult. The concept is a bit too muddled, or maybe that's why it takes a Jedi to use it, dealing with all those difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I just wonder if its just a lightsaber version of the mohawk: it's different, it gets your attention quickly, but doesn't actually do anything except show off your "style." She wants to show Anakin and other Jedi she's not just a Padawan anymore.
    Ahsoka during the first 2 seasons saw a lot of overwhelming combat, both against droids and against individuals like Asajj Ventress and Grievous (both of whom use multiple sabers, though that wasn't my original point, it seems germane upon reading), so it may be for necessity's sake, but if so, it's poorly stated. She just appears in the new costume with new sabers all of a sudden, it seems show-offy.

BTW, thanks for replying. It's nice to have a Star Wars discussion every now and then on this Star Wars forum.