Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking What's in a name?

I just had a twenty minute laugh because I, apparently, am 12-years old again. I was finishing up this week's invoices to get them in the mail with their corresponding advert grids. I ran across an advertiser with a most unfortunate name: Greg Skok.

No. Lie.

"Has anyone seen Greg Skok?"
    "I'd like to see Greg Skok with Mike Hunt."
    "I can't reach Greg Skok."

Oh... I could go on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222193_10150261031053294_648298293_9160415_4350433_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	24790  
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I wonder if parents think about these things when naming their children? Are they oblivious, or do they think it's funny?

I once worked with a Wendel Payne and Al Pine at the same time.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

It's possible that this person's name is pronounced "Skoke", but who can say? "Greg Skok". LOL There's no name they could put next to that and make it good!! Like-- "Linda Skok". Is she a hermaphodite??!!

I went to school with a Mike Mikes and Dave Davis, so... yeah. I get the Payne and Pine thing as well. LOL

I think the worst first name I've ever heard was "Boogamier".

A boy named Phu Phuc Phong was once enrolled in a program at my school.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    A boy named Phu Phuc Phong was once enrolled in a program at my school.
    Nuh-uh!!!!! No way!!!!!

I've actually got that one beat.

I went to college with a guy named "Dang Ho." Nice guy, but a few of us always wondered why he didn't go by his middle name or something, since "Dang Ho" obviously made him the butt of a few jokes in middle school.

Then they printed the student directory. Everyone's name was listed in first, middle initial, last format. No exceptions (probably because the computer didn't want to make exceptions). And it turned out "Dang" was his middle name. His first name was "Phuc." He was listed in the directory as "Phuc D Ho."

The name "Phuc" means "blessing" in Vietnamese. Apparently, a lot of pho restaurant owners have picked up on the double entendre of both that name and the word "pho" itself. There's a great Vietnamese restaurant in Vegas with the unfortunate name "Pho Kim Long" (or is it "Pho King Long"? I just recall it definitely spurred some laughter).

Another unfortunate name in Vietnamese is "Dung," pronounced "yoom." It's a type of flower, or it means "bravery," depending on whom you believe. My wife was born with the name "My Dung," but her father (an American serviceman) insisted that her name be legally changed when they came to America. Her mom is still "Dung," and it leads to a lot of people asking her to repeat the spelling of her name since they're sure they must have it wrong.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's just wrong!!

Poor guy, and then the first name.

I always thought Deng Xiaoping (dung chow ping) sounded like constipation relief.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Wow. There's a restaurant in Chinatown here in LA called the Won Kok. In all reality, many western names are likely hilarious puns to speakers of other languages.

The nickname I went by through high school, combined with my last name, became an interrogative statement with onomatopoeia. Now, it would just be a sentence fragment in the future tense.

Unless the parents were messing with the reading public and the reporter, there was a photo in the newspaper a bit back of a little girl in the park in the spring or summer time. Her last name? Dukes. Her first name... yes, Daisy.

Why? Did they think that was funny?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega