Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - May 25th, 2011

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If you were wondering, on that second question, we were indeed asking about Vintage, but I didn't think to specify. Sorry about that. Also, if you're wondering why no separate thread for these anymore, it's due to the keen news-forums integration, they're now 1 in the same, essentially.

Their answer for the first had nothing to do with the actual question; seems like they're talking about a 92-back, or something similar. Even though we didn't get very good answers, at least we're back on track with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    If you were wondering, on that second question, we were indeed asking about Vintage, but I didn't think to specify. Sorry about that. Also, if you're wondering why no separate thread for these anymore, it's due to the keen news-forums integration, they're now 1 in the same, essentially.
    In the 2nd question,I was waiting for an answer about vintage;not clone wars.

About the first question;I think Hasbro is taking about a "power of the force"(1985) format.

It woul be very cool the portrait picture variations that you were asking for.

Are they talking about a card back that would have all the figures on the back similar to what was released on the classic Kenner cards. Of course that was what only 80ish figures. Definitely not the thousands we have now.

If they could somehow do a cardback that listed every single figure made since 1995, in alphabetical order, that would probably be quite depressing to see how many minor Darth Vader variations there have been.

They couldn't list too many figures since they're only supposed to show what's currently available, from what I understand. It would probably be something like a couple of waves at most, perhaps similar to the cardbacks from Power of the Jedi.

As to the other sites, we got confirmation on Vintage Tarkin, Vintage Ben Quadinaros (!!!), Clone Wars Even Piell, a Citadel ARC Trooper (though no specifics on which one), and a vintage-box Landspeeder at Target. Cool stuff all around.

On a few different sites, they said they were working on better case assortments, so we'll see how that works out.

Still no plans for Cliegg. Maybe when AOTC comes out in 3-D . . .

It does sort of seem like it's a different writer on these answers. I'm still thinking it's Jeff, who's apparently been taking some of the responsibilities of Derryl as of late; I'm willing to bet that's partly what took so long for the Q&A to get started again.

Power of the Force 1 would be an interesting touch, but without coins, it'd be a sad endeavor. Also POTF1 reminds me of when the line tanked and died back in the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_nav View Post
    Are they talking about a card back that would have all the figures on the back similar to what was released on the classic Kenner cards. Of course that was what only 80ish figures. Definitely not the thousands we have now.
    "Card back" also is an industry term which refers to the card art itself, the art on the front specifically. Confusing, no? So it could be either the actual card back, or it could be the cardback face.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    If they could somehow do a cardback that listed every single figure made since 1995, in alphabetical order, that would probably be quite depressing to see how many minor Darth Vader variations there have been.
    Today, while packing up my collection (I've been doing this for the entire month, but 8 hours a day for the last 2 weeks), I threw out at least 8 different Vaders from the modern line. EIGHT OLD VADERS! Not the same one 8 times, 8 different ones. At least 8, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    As to the other sites, we got confirmation on Vintage Tarkin, Vintage Ben Quadinaros (!!!), Clone Wars Even Piell, a Citadel ARC Trooper (though no specifics on which one), and a vintage-box Landspeeder at Target. Cool stuff all around.
    Good to know, especially the landspeeder at the end of the year. I just boxed up my '95 version, it is pretty darn sad, but it's all I've got.

On a few different sites, they said they were working on better case assortments, so we'll see how that works out.
    Could hardly be worse than what's been going down with these waves. How many crap Clones and Dengars and such do we have to suffer through?!? Stores can't get rid of the pegwarmers they have.

It does sort of seem like it's a different writer on these answers. I'm still thinking it's Jeff, who's apparently been taking some of the responsibilities of Derryl as of late; I'm willing to bet that's partly what took so long for the Q&A to get started again.
    The answers definitely feel shorter and have a different "voice" about them, you could be right. I'll definitely ask at SDCC.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Power of the Force 1 would be an interesting touch, but without coins, it'd be a sad endeavor. Also POTF1 reminds me of when the line tanked and died back in the '80s.

"Card back" also is an industry term which refers to the card art itself, the art on the front specifically. Confusing, no? So it could be either the actual card back, or it could be the cardback face.

Could hardly be worse than what's been going down with these waves. How many crap Clones and Dengars and such do we have to suffer through?!? Stores can't get rid of the pegwarmers they have.
    I'd be ok with something similar to the POTF2 green cardback. Maybe the cutout file card too, but not absolutely necessary. Something nice to describe the character for sure and a nice pic of them. We are in for some really obscure stuff from the EU coming up. Some of us don't know who the heck these guys are without some research. The current TVC cardback is such a waste of good space.

Right after the question about the Gamorrean Guard not being planned for release this year, the Jedi News UK got an answer about TVC case assortment ratios being optimized for more popular figures, so maybe they are sort of answering the first question too, and plan on putting more Gamorrean Guards in later assortments next year. Maybe Wedge will make it in more than one per case too. They should have been specifically asked on whether the GG and Wedge would make it in more than one per case in later case assortments next year. Another question with specifics perhaps?
    I don't know, it's sort of a red headed step child answer saying there won't be any more Gamorrean Guards, then in the next answer saying they will optimize case assortments. It's baffling.

Hasbro:
    "We are continually optimizing our ratios in order to maximize the most sought after figures in each case pack. Beginning in fall 2011 and continuing into 2012 you will see this strategy in action on a more regular basis.

"Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I honestly think that they gauge child interest based on focus groups (even though that's the worst way to truly know what kids think, because they don't understand that they're looking for honest feedback) and collector interest based on what they want. I can't find any other way to explain some of their decisions.