Hybrid View

Sideshow's Sandtrooper - Desert Detachment & Dewback 1:6 scale figures...

Sideshow is previewing the latest large-ticket figure and creature...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/conten...wback-Preview!

I went for the Trooper. I wasn't able to pick up the first three when they were initially offered...I only just recently got the Sandtrooper Corporal from an online store and am kicking myself for missing the other two...the Corporal is great!

The Desert Detachment Trooper look pretty good...comes with plenty of gear for posing/display options and the price isn't that out of line to me, considering what similar figures are going for. I'm sure he's gonna end up being really cool...

The Dewback.....upon viewing the preview photos,the fact that it's basically a statue doesn't bother me at all...it has an interesting pose, the detail in the sculpt is stunning and all of the accouterments (pike, saddle, bags, etc.) are rendered really well. I think it would look less impressive (and more toy-like) if the body detail was broken up with joint lines for articulation that I wouldn't see myself using for display....how many different poses would one squeeze out of this thing anyway? No...the sculpt is fantastic with it's unbroken lines and surfaces....Sideshow made a good choice here.
    And while the paint apps here on this prototype are pretty spectacular, well....that's the biggest gamble with this piece to me....Sideshow has stumbled from time to time with them...I'd be damned impressed if the factory apps come even close to this.

And the price and the big lizard isn't that out of line as far as I'm concerned, considering the materials used, the size of the piece and yes, the fact that like it or not, everything costs more to produce these days. I work in a situation that includes a little of production and manufacturing and I can tell you, everything (material/transportation/shipping) has gone up a lot in just the last year, so that's the way it is....but again, looking at this thing, I'm left to wonder if a roto-cast made of plastic similar to Jabba would've been the way to go instead of this dense, easily-damaged polystone material that they are using. Adds a lot of weight and cost to the item and to shipping it. I'd guess that during the initial research for this lizard might've shown too much detail being lost with a rotocast approach. We'll see...

I wish I could afford that big lizard....guess I could if I shuffled things around. But....like a lot of folks, I'm waiting to see what Sideshow's got in store for the rest of the year at SDCC before I commit to such a big piece....heck, where would I put this thing? I still dig looking at Jabba and his throne...believe me, that's big enough!

They are both nice but will pass on them for now
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

This looks super cool -but my collectible plate is very FULL for the rest of the year. SO I will be passing as well.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Well...it took a while, but I finally got a chance to get some good shots of the Desert Trooper...it's great looking figure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DESERT-TROOPER-08.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	27121

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DESERT-TROOPER-07.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	27123

This trooper is one of Sideshow's better efforts...really well done, with plent of weapons and accessories to come up with many display options. Glad I picked this one up...

Still haven't got the dewback yet...maybe someday.

Looks good. The focus on your second shot is on the background, is that on purpose or just a camera miss?

Nice paint, better than the first effort IMO. On the gun with the drum magazine, is that mag attached slightly off-angle or is it just a designed gap?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I liked that picture, but we'll call it a miss...

I guess the gun is designed that way...don't know.