Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bending cards

Bending cards

Well, in the spirit of another thread recently (re)started here (hiding figures), I have another issue.

Who bends cards?

I know this is a bit childish, but some collectors actually do this.

Anyway, I seem to remember this same thread from a year or so ago, and with all the new members...

Anyway, it was quite a heated debate as I recall. More so than hiding figures.

So who does this, and why?
    May the force be with you.

Not a cool thing to do. although I haven't had recent problems, in the past I had to pass up some new releases due to some rude person that couldn't afford them so they screwed them up for us collectors.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Re: Bending cards

Originally posted by sith_killer_99
    Who bends cards?
    In the immortal words of Garfield the Cat: Whoever came up with that idea should be drug out into the street and shot.

That practice is uncalled for and it ruins the hobby for us decent carded figure collectors.

Well, there are two variations on this theme.

The first is shipment bending, where somehow, either by the box getting wet, mistreatment, employee mishandling, etc, the store or store conditions cause the damage. I've seen this before, one instance where the box was filled with wet crumpled cards to begin with, and another where an employee was trying to fit all the figures onto the Star Wars pegs, and shoved the figures on one row, breaking some bubbles in the process. And they don't give you discounts for these. Which is alright I guess, unless something's missing. Most of this isn't intentional or intended, however, so I'm cool with this.

Consumer bending is wrong, though, because it's intentional vandalism of store property. It's alright to hide a figure for a day until you can come back with the money for it, but this kind of activity should be reported if you witness it.
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

I fail to see the difference between bending a card and stowing merchandise away. Either way, your intent is to discourage somebody else from buying it.

Look, if you don't have the money for that new HDTV today, do you go put a big ol scratch down the side so that it'll stay in Best Buy until you are financially capable? Do you hide the tv over in the appliance department so nobody else can take it from you? Maybe you do, but you shouldn't.

I don't do either, but the big difference is that I see is that hiding is usually with the intention to buy, and bending is usually with the intention not to buy. I dunno, maybe hiding came about as an anti-scalper technique...
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

i wouldn't do that myself nor do i know anyone who would but that doesn't really concern me. i open all my toys so the card condition is trivial. i'd say its much worse than hiding though, it will actually stop people from purchasing the figure.

comparing childrens toys to a tv is ludacris btw.

Since I open mine, if the card is bent, I don't really care. I've actually bought bent carded figures and left nonbent ones. I also think it is a very childish thing to do. What's next? Licking the bubble in hopes no one will touch it.
    Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

I bent a card once. There was a scalper (or a reeeeeally rich collector) that had like 20-30 figures in his cart and there was a little kid who wanted one of the multiple figures that the guy had, but he was being a jerk. So I picked the figure out of his cart and mangled the package right in front of him and then dropped it back in his cart. He threw me a dirty look, but he took my meaning and gave it to the kid.

Angry .

Even though I open up 90% of my Starwars stuff,I dislike
    when people bend the cards.Its childish,if you dont have the
    money,just hide the figure or stick it in Layaway.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!