Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11

  2. #12
    I can refine these later, but I wanted to post before I forgot . . .

    *Has any thought been given to not having the same characters appear in both The Vintage Collection and Saga Legends simultaneously? The line of thinking seems to be that some characters are popular enough to sell figures in both lines, and while that may or may not be true in certain circumstances, the overabundance of Episode III Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Clone Trooper figures in both lines seems to suggest this (with the Clone being the worst offender by far). All three had previously been strong sellers, but it seems that the numbers have simply gotten out of hand and the market will not support quite so many of these characters. No matter what, it seems like one line will cannibalize the other's sales, with one version of the character being better than the other and thus selling better. For instance, will people want to buy the yellowing-helmeted Stormtrooper from The Vintage Collection, or will they opt for the side-by-side cheaper version from Saga Legends? Has the ceiling on certain figures finally been hit?

    On the above one, I know we've discussed the Sandtroopers and Clones with them before, but I don't think the specific issue of shipping figures simultaneously across lines has been discussed. I'm not sure if that part is coming through strongly enough, though. And now:

    *The 2009 Count Dooku with Speeder Bike figure featured a fabric cape with a sculpted plastic clasp, meaning he had the free range of motion provided by the cape with the accuracy of the clasp. Instead of a plastic clasp, the 2011 General Lando Calrissian figure has an enormous elastic strap that doesn't really look anything like the chain the character wore in the film; clearly this is a case where the plastic clasp would have been preferable. It could also be a possibility on future Darth Vader figures, or movie-based Count Dookus. Will the plastic-and-fabric approach be taken more in the future?

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I can refine these later, but I wanted to post before I forgot . . .

    *Has any thought been given to not having the same characters appear in both The Vintage Collection and Saga Legends simultaneously? The line of thinking seems to be that some characters are popular enough to sell figures in both lines, and while that may or may not be true in certain circumstances, the overabundance of Episode III Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Clone Trooper figures in both lines seems to suggest this (with the Clone being the worst offender by far). All three had previously been strong sellers, but it seems that the numbers have simply gotten out of hand and the market will not support quite so many of these characters. No matter what, it seems like one line will cannibalize the other's sales, with one version of the character being better than the other and thus selling better. For instance, will people want to buy the yellowing-helmeted Stormtrooper from The Vintage Collection, or will they opt for the side-by-side cheaper version from Saga Legends? Has the ceiling on certain figures finally been hit?

    On the above one, I know we've discussed the Sandtroopers and Clones with them before, but I don't think the specific issue of shipping figures simultaneously across lines has been discussed. I'm not sure if that part is coming through strongly enough, though.
    This has been discussed before actually, they brought it up in another Q&A or an interview, I don't remember which, but at the time they were adamant about not crossing characters over for that very reason. It was a couple years ago though, so obviously they've had time to modify their thinking. That said, before I add this question, I think it needs to address better the different markets issue (saga legends for casual consumers, TVC for diehards), and perhaps the price increase issue. And as you say, we've beaten the Clone issue to death, so I do think that needs to have the focus taken off of it for your question.


    And now:

    *The 2009 Count Dooku with Speeder Bike figure featured a fabric cape with a sculpted plastic clasp, meaning he had the free range of motion provided by the cape with the accuracy of the clasp. Instead of a plastic clasp, the 2011 General Lando Calrissian figure has an enormous elastic strap that doesn't really look anything like the chain the character wore in the film; clearly this is a case where the plastic clasp would have been preferable. It could also be a possibility on future Darth Vader figures, or movie-based Count Dookus. Will the plastic-and-fabric approach be taken more in the future?
    The costume on General Lando in the movie doesn't use a metal chain, it uses a fabric braid. That elastic strap doesn't do it justice, but on the flip side, that Dooku's cloak is way too big and looks really bad, and the chain is very oversized, yet using it was probably more expensive. Anyway, I'm not sure of my point, I just got some frustrating news about my grandma's hospital visit right now and got sidetracked. But I can see your question is asking about plastic chains on fabric cloaks, we last asked about it thusly...

    2008 March 12th
    SSG: In recent years, many Darth Vader figures have included a silver piece of fabric material around the neck to represent the chain that holds Vader's cape on. However, every time this feature has been included, the "chain" ends up looking too big and out-of-place, while Vader figures that do not include this chain end up looking much better. In the interest of accuracy, could the chain either be scaled down (to better match its look in Episodes III, V, and VI), or done as sculpted plastic (as on earlier incarnations), or simply left off (as in Episode IV) on future Darth Vader figures?
    Hasbro: The thickness of the soft goods chain cannot be reduced any further than it already is due to minimum material strength needs. Sculpted plastic would be the alternative, but it doesn't always work with the soft goods that we choose.

    The bottom line answer then was "doesn't always work with the materials we choose", so I would suggest finding more successful recent examples, or changing the focus of the question - I surely would like to know why they chose that big flat piece of ugly elastic for Lando. I may just ask them this in person next week.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    This has been discussed before actually, they brought it up in another Q&A or an interview, I don't remember which, but at the time they were adamant about not crossing characters over for that very reason. It was a couple years ago though, so obviously they've had time to modify their thinking. That said, before I add this question, I think it needs to address better the different markets issue (saga legends for casual consumers, TVC for diehards), and perhaps the price increase issue. And as you say, we've beaten the Clone issue to death, so I do think that needs to have the focus taken off of it for your question.
    Right, I remember them saying they wouldn't cross over, so I wanted to get the story behind this reversal. Frankly, I'm not even really sure what role Saga Legends is supposed to play anymore, with so many main characters and army builders being released in TVC all the time. At this point, both lines are basically following the same pattern, with the same heroes and villains being carried forward in most cases and a rotating mix of army builders and occasionally some background characters. Saga Legends was formerly to supplement the main line and bring in kids and new collectors, but both lines seem to be basically serving the same purpose right now. Perhaps it would be better to ask about it. I'm actually having a hard time coming up with an angle on this one, since it seems to change every few years, but it used to supplement the main line whereas now it takes away from it or repeats from it.

    As for the second question, I suppose their answer works to a point. As you said, I would like to know why they used the giant thing on Lando. Even though his chain is fabric in the film, he still has metal clasps not on the figure, and I feel like plastic would have worked better to convey the shape of the chain. If it wasn't possible, I feel that they could have halved the width of the strap on the figure and it would have looked much better.

  5. #15
    I'll vote for number 5.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  6. #16
    5 more days until this round gets sent in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Right, I remember them saying they wouldn't cross over, so I wanted to get the story behind this reversal. Frankly, I'm not even really sure what role Saga Legends is supposed to play anymore, with so many main characters and army builders being released in TVC all the time. At this point, both lines are basically following the same pattern, with the same heroes and villains being carried forward in most cases and a rotating mix of army builders and occasionally some background characters. Saga Legends was formerly to supplement the main line and bring in kids and new collectors, but both lines seem to be basically serving the same purpose right now. Perhaps it would be better to ask about it. I'm actually having a hard time coming up with an angle on this one, since it seems to change every few years, but it used to supplement the main line whereas now it takes away from it or repeats from it.
    Well, give it another shot and I'll do my best to put it up.

    As for the second question, I suppose their answer works to a point. As you said, I would like to know why they used the giant thing on Lando. Even though his chain is fabric in the film, he still has metal clasps not on the figure, and I feel like plastic would have worked better to convey the shape of the chain. If it wasn't possible, I feel that they could have halved the width of the strap on the figure and it would have looked much better.
    Alright, I will give it a quick editing (your other question seems like it needs a more substantial one, so I'd rather you gave it a shot, as I'm really running out of steam lately with so much going on and my lungs working at partial capacity) and post it. You can change your vote if you wish, but you currently have both votes used.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #17
    Man, with only 2 votes allowed causing our standards to have to be raised, EVERY question is one I want to ask. Makes it so difficult to vote. Now that I think about it, I suppose it also makes it very hard to cull questions again, should the need arise.

    For now, my votes will be

    2

    and

    5

    but honestly, I could change my mind so easily.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  8. #18
    #3 is the only one on the list right now that really interests me.

  9. #19
    More votes folks, only a few days left in this round!

    Also, any suggestions for stuff I could ask Hasbro at Comic-Con? If we don't get some solid suggestions, we'll have to pass up the opportunity.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    More votes folks, only a few days left in this round!

    Also, any suggestions for stuff I could ask Hasbro at Comic-Con? If we don't get some solid suggestions, we'll have to pass up the opportunity.
    I'm biased of course, because it's my question, but I think #7 would be a good one to ask in person at Comic Con because you could show them where we imagine things connecting and explain or reasoning a little more to prevent any confusion or misunderstanding.

    I also wanted to remind you that we had considered asking about whatever happened to the funeral pyre Vader if it isn't shown as one of this year's exclusives.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO