Thread: Lars Homestead?

Lars Homestead?

Hey

I was thinking about creating a Lars Homestead for a AOTC
    diorama.Has anyone made a Lars Homestead?I was thinking
    of making a wire frame for the house and cover it with plaster.

Anyone got a easier way to do it?
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Check out NiubNiubsUniverse.com, he's got some tatooine dioramas, he made a very a cool sarlacc pit, and I think he made some Tatooine hovels for one diorama, you might check it out for tips on stuff, best suggestion I've got.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Okay.I was over there,just skimmed over ANH dioramas.Thanks
    for the info LTBasker.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Here's how I'd do it. First I'd check out a sewing store. They have these styrene balls that are used for embroidery or something. They don't cost much and come in different sizes. take one styrene ball and cut in half use for the entrance dome. Then use card to make the rest of the entrance. form a ring and then cut a disk to fit on top of that ring and join them together where they meet so you get a circular box Then do a similar thing to make domed arches to glue on the three sides or four (can't remember how many sides have arches.) One of these will then need to be altered to make a doorway arch s cut a hole into it for the door. glue the styrene dome on top of the round box. Glue the arches to the box. You should now have something resembling the lars homestead entrance. A littl rough following my crap instructions but there's not a lot I can do without physically showing you.

Next step is to take tissue paper ad glue it paper mache style over the top of the whole model to give a rough plaster effect smooth down the roughest bumps with you fingers (PVA glue watered down is best for this) You should attempt to get it rough and rumpled looking without making big ridges so crumple the paper before sticking it to the model. When finished leave to dry naturally for a couple of days. Then mix up some DIY exterior wall filler with a little PVA glue for bonding and spread thinly over the model. Use your fingers or anything spatula like (but small) to smooth it out. This will give you the mud/sand built look. Let this dry out for 24 hours and then paint with light sandy tan water based paint. Artists acrylic might be good. it has that plasticky look that will match any of Hasbros playsets.

VOILA! one homestead playset piece finished. Next week the courtyard........ J/K

two large bowls from your local dollar store stacked inside one another. sand the outside of the outer one and the inside of the inner one. cut your doorways and fill in around the space between the bowls with newspaper and then the doorway with epoxy putty. first primer then paint as desired.
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

Do you think If I used that "Sand Paint" in a can,would it harm the styrofoam?I plan to put blaster bandages on the styrofoam
    the paint it...will it leach and eat away the dome underneath?

The Sand paint is that textured paint they sell to make it look like rock and such.

yeah the spray textured paint will eat the styrene dome. that's why i suggested paper over the top. i've used this method to make a cantina exterior and very quickly dissolved a dome by accident with paint so I came up with the paper solution which works a treat. it takes more time but the results are great.

I overspray the texture paint with a slightly differnt shade to increase the texture depth. hold the second ordinary spray paint quite a distance from the model and give it a light dusting. it gives it a dirty dusty look and I think makes it look more like a Hasbro product and more in keeping with the figures. Here's a pic of part of my cantina.

Emperor Jargo, your cantina looks great. Are the square pieces foamboard or cardboard underneath the paper mache?

Thanks Jargo...Cool diorama as well

thanks for the compliments. AJ, I use the card from the cases the figures pack in as a base roughing out the shape of a piece. For one thing it's the cheapest and lightest material and strong too. Once I've glued the pieces together with PVA wood glue (because it dries faster than paper PVA glue) I mix up interior wall filler into a gloopy paste and smear it over the top to make a rough surface and fill the ends of the corrugated card where needed. Once dry use the paint InsaneJediGirl was talking about (the one I use is called plasti-kote fleck stone) to give a speckled mud wall look. dead easy and dirt cheap. Don't waste your money on expensive foamcore when a card packing case will do just as well. be warned with the stone texture spray though - it gets everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! don't spray it indoors or you'll be picking it of your clothes the carpet the ceiling the walls the doors............. good stuff though all the same.