Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ok, so I'm going to take the shreds of what I was originally going to ask Hasbro at SDCC and jam them into our Q&A voting. Please feel free to make additions/suggestions on them.

BTW, nobody has voted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Here's one that I thought of and probably won't have a chance to ask at Comic-Con tomorrow:

"At Comic-Con, you confirmed the Daultay Dofine figure coming out next year. While collectors will definitely welcome another Neimoidian (even if kids may not flock to buy him, based on previous Neimoidian sales history), it seems a bit odd that you picked a character with a few seconds of screen time (who's better known for being called a "stunted slime" than for anything he actually said or did) over Tey How, who has a far larger role in the film and a more distinctive look--and is consistently highly-ranked in fan's choice polls. To be honest, even a resculpt of one of the two most important Neimoidians in the movie (Nute Gunray or Rune Haako) would seem to make more sense than Daultay Dofine. We're not complaining, but could you explain why you picked Dofine over Gunray, Haako, or How?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I wouldn't say that he has less time than Tey How; after the opening bridge scenes, where they both get a fair amount of lines, they typically appear together. I do kind of wonder why they picked him over How, though, given that she ranked higher in the fans' choice poll. And there's still more TPM announcements to be made, though I bet that Tey How would have appeared in TVC over the Episode I movie line.
    Yeah, that's how I see it as well. Until NYCC, I'm going to hold off on demanding to know why we're getting Daulty Dofine and not Tey How.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid View Post
    I have a question,

Hasbro, can we ever expect to see the Neimoidian/Separatist Shuttle released, seeing how it's appeared in three films, and in twelve SW:TCW episodes?
    There's actually 2 shuttle designs (windows, and no windows) and 2 paint schemes (Trade Federation, and CIS) that I know of. Hasbro will likely say something about how it's not aggressive enough since it's shown doing nothing exciting in the entertainment support. So can you (or anybody else reading this) come up with a strong counter-argument against that? I can't, so until I hear one which can strengthen the question, I'm going to hold off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    New question:

There seems to be a lot of confusion and speculation on the status of TVC "wave 4" (which includes Dr. Evazan, Kithaba, Nom Anor, Aayla Secura and the 501st Clonetrooper) and it's relationship to the Walmart exclusive Ep1 wave scheduled for early 2012. In the SDCC slideshow, "wave 4" is listed as a part of The Vintage Collection, and it includes: Aayla Secura, Nom Anor, Kithaba, Dr. Evazan, Naboo Pilot, Mawhonic, Aurra Sing, and the Gungan Warrior. Now we understand that this wave has been moved to early 2012, however, who exactly is in the wave? Four of those figures were listed on another slide as being a part of the Walmart Exclusive Ep1 wave, which would not be on Vintage packaging. Was your slideshow mistaken? Are Dr. Evazan, Kithaba, Aayla Secura, Nom Anor and the 501st Clone going to be a part of the Walmart exclusive wave and, thus, NOT on vintage-style cards (which would be a giant punch to the gut for many collectors)? Or are Mawhonic, Aurra Sing, Naboo Pilot and the Gungan Warrior going to be available simultaneously as a part of the Walmart exclusive wave AND a part of the Vintage Collection (which would defeat the purpose of them being exclusives)? What's going on here? Can you clear some of this up?
    Wow, that is a very confusing situation. The slide was simply mistaken, wave 4 was always listed up until that slide as:
    Evazan,
    Kithaba,
    Aayla Secura,
    501st trooper, and
    Nom Anor
    The SDCC slide simply added some of the WM-exclusive 2012 figures to the wave by accident, they are UNRELATED, the WM wave is only Ep 1 figures. What's shown in the slides at the 2012 preview are what the waves will consist of...
    2012 Mainline wave 1:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/data/6203/Slide384.JPG
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/data/6203/Slide374.JPG

2012 Mainline wave 1.5 (the numbering is somewhat confused, and this wave will actually be out BEFORE wave 1):
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/data/6203/Slide394.JPG

2012 Mainline wave ??:
    (Slide not shown at SDCC but consists of Evazan, Kithaba, Aayla Secura, a 501st trooper, and Nom Anor)

And the WM-exclusive wave is these figures:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/data/6203/Slide414.JPG

My live notes should detail this:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/conten...DCC-2011-Panel

Bottom line, Mawhonic and the other Ep 1 figures now exclusive to WM were never part of 2011 wave 4 and thus weren't moved to the 2012 mainline.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    Now, I wasn't there but the slides suggest to me that the Walmart wave will be on Vintage cards. The opening slide lists those figures as part of the Vintage line and the slide with the photos has "Vintage Figures Assortment" at the top. Did I miss something that was said in the panel?
    They will be part of TVC, but exclusive to WM. The question BB was asking was whether, by listing them as being part of wave 4 moved to 2012, they'd be both WM exclusive and mainline, and I am confident that's a no, just a mistake in the typing of that slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger565 View Post
    I dont post much here but I have been around a long time. My question for Hasbro is this.

With the fact that the VC 28 Vintage Wedge Antillies has been so popular, will we ever see a Updated figure with the Correct Painted Helmet? His helmet is not Silver, Its Green. With everyone trying to swipe up the new figure and paying a lot of money for it. you would expect it to be correct?

Carl
    I can almost guarantee you that the answer will be along the lines of "Lucasfilm insisted that it was dark gray and their supplied source materials supported that". I just went to my pre-SE copies of the films and although it has a greenish tint, it is dark gray not dark green, and many of the comics draw it as dark silver because of that. The pics I see on google images show green mainly from the lighting, so it's not even where the other tones are. If you can find me better proof that there's notable green in there, I'll reconsider, but for now it's too specific and too iffy for me to use.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkraly2010 View Post
    Dear Hasbro , When will you release the millenium falcon on the vintage collection packaging? I own 2 versions of the falcon , the power of the force version from 1995 and the one from the 2002 Saga collection but I would love to own one on the vintage collection packaging.
    The mold for the Millennium Falcon you're talking about is no longer usable, that's why Hasbro developed the new Big Millennium Falcon. Plus, in '04, they did release the old Falcon with new features on the OTC packaging which is vintage-inspired graphics, but only on the front. I just don't think there's enough demand for that idea to warrant it as a question right now, but I'll listen to more arguments in its favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    New question:

The BMF vehicles are becoming a welcome staple of the Star Wars line and the electronic lights and sounds of those toys are some of their most notable features. Unfortunately, those same lights and sounds get repetitive and boring after just a few hours. Would you consider equipping each toy with a USB port that would allow them to be hooked up to a computer so that new sound-effects and voice clips can be downloaded from your website? It would be a great way to create a level of upgrade-ability, customizability and long-term appeal for the toys. Also, retrofitting the existing BMF vehicles, like the Millenium Falcon, with this feature would be a good excuse for a rerelease and would allow collectors to choose which scene they want their toy to represent. For instance, collectors wanting their Falcon to recreate the space slug scene from ESB could download the sound clips specific to that scene and delete the ANH sound clips from their toy. Or if a vehicle like the AT-TE shows up in an episode of The Clone Wars, then fans would be able to get online immediately after watching the show and download a new batch of sound clips relevant to that particular episode. With online interactivity being so popular these days, it seems that something like this would add some extra perceived value to your higher priced vehicles. Is this something you would consider or do you believe would it drive development costs up too much?
    I believe Steve and I discussed this with Mark Boudreaux either in '09 or last year at SDCC and his answer was that it was too expensive on 2 fronts: A) the technology to do that is far more expensive than what they're currently using for sound boards; and B) licensing the USB system would add even more cost on top of all the new tech they'd have to invest in. They have looked at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsokol View Post
    Possible question idea:
    Have you (Hasbro) ever considered involving the leaders/operators of the larger fan sites in a roundtable setting as a way to gauge fan interest? Once or twice a year you could give these "super fans" a top secret, confidential sneak peak at the upcoming plans of figures and/or figure line-ups and use their input to help decide which figures should be carried forward in multiple waves and which figures may need more limited release. I know the people who operate these websites, like our own JediTricks, have a finger on the pulse of fan base. They could provide a wealth of information and help limit some "mistakes" in under and over production. As a way to protect your information from spreading, you could exclude fan sites that leak information from Q & A sessions and/or future involvement in roundtable events. This would seem to be a great way to get the fans involved in the process while providing you with valuable information.
    Heh, I appreciate the confidence in my superfan-representative skills there. They actually do listen to the stuff we have to say at SDCC, so informally we already do that to a degree. But Hasbro is VERY secretive about how their information is handled, I don't think a simple NDA will stop their fears that somebody might leak their ideas, or try to sue them for stealing that person's input for financial gain (Derryl has outright stated that's one reason they're so closed to this sort of thing). The SW team members are well paid to figure out what we want and weigh that against their budgetary limitations. I can't say the idea isn't a good one, but I really don't see any chance of this being anything other than a very polite negative response from the team REGARDLESS of whether or not they think it's a good idea. I am not saying outright "no", but I am not ready to put it in the list either, more discussion needs to be had before I'm pulling that trigger.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't include these SDCC questions in our voting thread, but if anybody wants to suggest that we do put them in the voting, or has fixes for them, give it a shot...

- Hasbro's boys toys were really on a roll the last few years, not just Star Wars, but Transformers and GI Joe as well. Then over the last 9 months or so, distribution on all 3 of those iconic action figure lines seemed to take a significant tumble with the big retailers. Lots more backed up product, canceled items, and limited releases abound. It's to the point now where if it doesn't have immediate entertainment support, it seems like it is falling to the wayside. Has this been a systemic problem for Hasbro, or 3 separate cases of unfortunate problems all culminating around the same time? Is something being done to address the issue(s)?

- What happened with the electronic Funeral Pyre Darth Vader set you showed off the prototype of a couple years ago? Last we heard, it was being shopped around to various retailers, but hadn't quite found a home. That news is pretty old though, so are there any updates on the set, good news or bad?

- A question a lot of our readers have been kicking around in our Q&A voting thread is the issue of characters appearing in the Saga Legends line around the same time that they appear in The Vintage Collection - Anakin and Obi-Wan, Luke ESB Pilot, and the AOTC and ROTS Clones immediately spring to mind. The Saga Legends versions are $2 cheaper than their TVC counterparts, and sometimes are even superior in some ways - look at the helmet situation on the TVC Episode III clones compared to the properly-sized, never-green, correctly-painted Saga Legends clone that's also cheaper and comes with a stand and a pack of extra weapons. What is the cause of those counter-planned characters, and are they cannibalizing sales from each other as we suspect? Do you think a ceiling has been hit on the number of Anakins and Clones the casual consumer market will bear?

- Ok, Saga Legends is the line for the kids and casual collectors, so a white ROTS clone makes sense there. But why was a white clone put out in the collector-focused Vintage Collection line when only 2 white clones are seen in the film, the rest being a myriad of other unit paintjobs?

- what happened to mini muggs?

-with jeff taking over q and a from derryl, the first few batches of answers have been brief and less nuanced than what we've grown used to from the brand, they're more p.r styled answers than giving fans a real understanding of how the brand works. We hope this is just a breaking in period and not a repeat of the frustrating transformers brand q & a. What can we fans do to help smooth this transitional period?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    - Hasbro's boys toys were really on a roll the last few years, not just Star Wars, but Transformers and GI Joe as well. Then over the last 9 months or so, distribution on all 3 of those iconic action figure lines seemed to take a significant tumble with the big retailers. Lots more backed up product, canceled items, and limited releases abound. It's to the point now where if it doesn't have immediate entertainment support, it seems like it is falling to the wayside. Has this been a systemic problem for Hasbro, or 3 separate cases of unfortunate problems all culminating around the same time? Is something being done to address the issue(s)?
    For SW, at least, they seem to be addressing it now with the line reset, at least at Targets. But the last few years have seen distribution issues for much of the first half of the year and then a ton of new stuff around late July/early August; they have previously said that they like to have most of it in the fall and holiday season, so I doubt it's going to change much there. They've also said they can't always tell which figures are going to pegwarm, and at this point it sort of seems like it's just going to happen every now and then. It's just that both things were happening simultaneously this year. I don't know what else they could really say on the subject, but I don't really know much about other lines or their distribution woes.

As to the white ROTS clone and the ceiling on figures, Echo Base News interviewed Derryl and he spoke on it:
    Our next question is about a figure that's been carried forward many times in The Vintage Collection that hasn't been too popular with some fans. It's the Revenge of the Sith plain white Clone Trooper. A lot of people have noticed it reaching the pegs with the helmet already yellowed. Is that something Hasbro's aware of?
    "We are very aware of that. We've been aware of this for months now. Actually, the collectors on the fan sites brought this to our attention. The samples that we have back at Hasbro, the early production samples, they weren't like that. So, the fans alerted to us to this, so thank you, and we found the nature of the problem very quickly and have made a change so at some point once that new change starts to hit you'll see that the helmets aren't yellow. So we fixed it. The second thing is we've learned that we might have reached the ceiling on plain white clone troopers, right? We might have found the saturation point, finally, after years of releasing millions of these figures. Fans have kind of said it's enough and we're now turning our attention to different color versions of the clones rather than just the plain white to get some variety."

Obi-Wan and Anakin use a Separatist Shuttle to shoot down Dooku in SW:TCW, I'd say that's pretty aggressive.

We'll no doubt be seeing it appear in even more episodes of SW:TCW, with even more agression shown.

The Mandalorian Shuttle did nothing agressive at all and they made it. It's not even armed in the show, Hasbro just gave it missle lauchers.

Another question,

Hasbro, will you ever release a regular SW:TCW infantry Battle Droid with the Firefighter Battle Droid's arms, and the Separatist Speeder Pilot Battle Droid's legs so that we'll have a more articulated animated Battle Droid?

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    -with jeff taking over q and a from derryl, the first few batches of answers have been brief and less nuanced than what we've grown used to from the brand, they're more p.r styled answers than giving fans a real understanding of how the brand works. We hope this is just a breaking in period and not a repeat of the frustrating transformers brand q & a. What can we fans do to help smooth this transitional period?
    I like this question and, seeing as how all sites are complaining about the non-answers from the latest rounds, I think we really need to ask them about it.

Here's my rework of it:

With Jeff taking over Q&A duties from Derryl, the first few batches of answers have been brief and less nuanced than what we've grown accustomed to from the brand. Previously, it seems that the answers returned were intended to give fans a real understanding of how the brand works. Now, fan sites are getting subjected to generic PR-styled doublespeak, which we can only assume is intended to artificially generate hype for a brand that people are already hyped about (otherwise they wouldn't be participating in the Q&A), or poor attempts at humor, which makes many fans feel that Hasbro is mocking us. We hope this is just a breaking-in period and not a repeat of the frustratingly pointless Transformers brand Q&A. If so, then what can we fans to do help smooth this transitional period? If these last few rounds of vague non-answers are an indication of what we can expect from here on out, then what's the point of even participating in the Q&A?

Heh, I appreciate the confidence in my superfan-representative skills there. They actually do listen to the stuff we have to say at SDCC, so informally we already do that to a degree. But Hasbro is VERY secretive about how their information is handled, I don't think a simple NDA will stop their fears that somebody might leak their ideas, or try to sue them for stealing that person's input for financial gain (Derryl has outright stated that's one reason they're so closed to this sort of thing)...
    No worries, I just feel like Hasbro has made some pretty bad decisions recently about which figures to carry forward and think that some input from the collectors before the waves were set would help.

A question a lot of our readers have been kicking around in our Q&A voting thread is the issue of characters appearing in the Saga Legends line around the same time that they appear in The Vintage Collection - Anakin and Obi-Wan, Luke ESB Pilot, and the AOTC and ROTS Clones immediately spring to mind. The Saga Legends versions are $2 cheaper than their TVC counterparts, and sometimes are even superior in some ways - look at the helmet situation on the TVC Episode III clones compared to the properly-sized, never-green, correctly-painted Saga Legends clone that's also cheaper and comes with a stand and a pack of extra weapons. What is the cause of those counter-planned characters, and are they cannibalizing sales from each other as we suspect? Do you think a ceiling has been hit on the number of Anakins and Clones the casual consumer market will bear?
    Even my wife, who spends more time in the toy aisle with me than she would like, has noticed this trend and asked me this very question. If it were to be added, I would certainly vote for it.

with jeff taking over q and a from derryl, the first few batches of answers have been brief and less nuanced than what we've grown used to from the brand, they're more p.r styled answers than giving fans a real understanding of how the brand works. We hope this is just a breaking in period and not a repeat of the frustrating transformers brand q & a. What can we fans do to help smooth this transitional period?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    Here's my rework of it:
    With Jeff taking over Q&A duties from Derryl, the first few batches of answers have been brief and less nuanced than what we've grown accustomed to from the brand. Previously, it seems that the answers returned were intended to give fans a real understanding of how the brand works. Now, fan sites are getting subjected to generic PR-styled doublespeak, which we can only assume is intended to artificially generate hype for a brand that people are already hyped about (otherwise they wouldn't be participating in the Q&A), or poor attempts at humor, which makes many fans feel that Hasbro is mocking us. We hope this is just a breaking-in period and not a repeat of the frustratingly pointless Transformers brand Q&A. If so, then what can we fans to do help smooth this transitional period? If these last few rounds of vague non-answers are an indication of what we can expect from here on out, then what's the point of even participating in the Q&A?
    I like this question too. I worry that it may come off a bit harsh on Jeff, but I think that if they know that we are asking out of real concern and not just trying to be mean it could work. I like BigB's inclusion of "...which we can only assume is intended to artificially generate hype for a brand that people are already hyped about (otherwise they wouldn't be participating in the Q&A), or poor attempts at humor, which makes many fans feel that Hasbro is mocking us." It gives them some idea of exactly what we are complaining/asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid
    Obi-Wan and Anakin use a Separatist Shuttle to shoot down Dooku in SW:TCW, I'd say that's pretty aggressive.
    We'll no doubt be seeing it appear in even more episodes of SW:TCW, with even more agression shown.
    The Mandalorian Shuttle did nothing agressive at all and they made it. It's not even armed in the show, Hasbro just gave it missle lauchers.
    Good point about the Mandalorian Shuttle. I also think that the Separatist Shuttle would help to balance the "good guy" and "bad guy" ships a bit. With all the Jedi Star Fighters, the bad guys get pretty outnumbered, though the Tri-Fighter and Separatist Gunship helped this out tremendously.

New Questions:

How does Hasbro feel now about making "non-action" Clone Wars figures given that War Plans Padme and War Plans Chancellor Palpatine have shown up on another reputable fan site's rumored figures list? Could figures like Senators Far, Tutchi, and Bail Organna, and Separatist Leaders like Nute Gunray make it into the CW line, perhaps as exclusive figures included with battle packs?

Has Hasbro looked at ships like Hondo Ohnaka's flying saucer, the Rapier-One for inclusion in the $24 basic fighter ship assortment?

Enough with Republic ships for a while, as the Solar Sailor is a good choice, too - as is Ventress' ship from the Gennedy series (the Republic Fighter Tank was not from the new cartoon show), but that angel fish ship the Jedi use (Lego made it) does beg for consideration - however that's too big for the $24 price range - isn't it? Maybe the bounty hunter ship that Seripas and the others arrive in is plausible. On Naboo, Padme uses a yellow HazMat version of it when the blue shadow virus strikes. Repaint anyone? It could come with Padme and JarJar in EV suits, and maybe "Peppy" the pink female Gungan. Everyone wants a pink, female Gungan figure!

@JediTricks, regarding the Niemoidian shuttle: when Count Dooku got away (and later crashes on Bantchor where he meets Hondo Ohnaka) Anakin and Obi-Wan fly a stolen Niemoidian shuttle in pursuit of Dooku - who's solar sailor is protected by vulture droid fighters. The Niemoidian ship is seeing firing (in action in other words) and being used by the hero characters. While the ship doesn't top my list of wants - there does lie some possibility for Chuxter's preference with cartoon support. The 2 paint schemes (TF and CIS) lend itself to being profitable for Hasbro, too. I might purchase this if only to hang it in the Battle of Geonosis, representing Nute Gunray fleeing the fighting in AOTC. I think that would be a TF paint schemed ship - but I'm not that particular.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    New Questions:

How does Hasbro feel now about making "non-action" Clone Wars figures given that War Plans Padme and War Plans Chancellor Palpatine have shown up on another reputable fan site's rumored figures list? Could figures like Senators Far, Tutchi, and Bail Organna, and Separatist Leaders like Nute Gunray make it into the CW line, perhaps as exclusive figures included with battle packs?
    This one gets my vote!

For now, I'll vote for 9 and 12. I'd still like to take a crack at writing some more of the SDCC questions; I'll have more time tomorrow to do so.