Hybrid View

Thumbs down Oh, no... not ANOTHER exclusive wave??!!!!!

OK, not being an EU guy, I really didn't have much interest in the TRU EU wave that came out... last year, was it? But I could appreciate that people were sorta panicked over getting this wave. Well, cut to this year's ComicCon news about Walmart* getting an exclusive wave of figures that includes all-new sculpts of Ric Ollie, a Naboo pilot and Aurra Sing. It also includes a Gungan warrior with a staff, G8-R3 from the Royal Starship and Mawhonic. Despite the fact that Hasbro promises better distribution, I am really quite certain that most of these will be near impossible to find and getting them online won't be an option this time around.

Not really happy about that.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SLIDE
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I'm mostly worried about Mawhonic. I'd like most of the others, but Mawhonic's been a "must-have" for 12 years for me.

Hopefully they'll ship in greater numbers than did the TRU EU wave. I'd like several Gungans and Naboo Pilots. Ric Olié wasn't exactly the greatest seller the first time around, so hopefully having this as an exclusive will maintain the numbers well.

And it's not like they've never re-released hard-to-find figures, so I just don't think this is anything to worry about yet.

The frustrating thing for me about it is that I don't live close to any Walmarts. There are two within about a 30 minute drive but they're in opposite directions so if I go to one and strike out, I probably wouldn't feel like hitting the other that same day. Also, one of the two has the smallest toy section I've ever seen and just does not stock a lot, especially when it comes to exclusives.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

For me, nothing will kill my interest in a line quicker than knowing that I'll never be able to "collect them all." I managed to stay with Star Wars anyway over the years, in spite of missing entire exclusive waves recently - most notably the mythical Toys R Us Expanded Universe wave, which people swear up and down did actually exist. Usually Toys R Us exclusives are no big trouble finding, but for some reason (and I'm finding lately that I'm far more interested in the EU than in more film characters) I never once saw even the slightest hint that these were ever available at retail. Online prices for those figures lead me to believe that I'm mostly correct. The harder it is for me to find figures at retail, the easier it becomes for me to be pick and choose rather than pulling my hair out to try and buy them all like I used to. Eventually I can see getting to the point where I won't even want to bother. I think exclusives only work in generating colector interest when the exclusivity is more an illusion than a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay View Post
    For me, nothing will kill my interest in a line quicker than knowing that I'll never be able to "collect them all." I managed to stay with Star Wars anyway over the years, in spite of missing entire exclusive waves recently - most notably the mythical Toys R Us Expanded Universe wave, which people swear up and down did actually exist. Usually Toys R Us exclusives are no big trouble finding, but for some reason (and I'm finding lately that I'm far more interested in the EU than in more film characters) I never once saw even the slightest hint that these were ever available at retail. Online prices for those figures lead me to believe that I'm mostly correct. The harder it is for me to find figures at retail, the easier it becomes for me to be pick and choose rather than pulling my hair out to try and buy them all like I used to. Eventually I can see getting to the point where I won't even want to bother. I think exclusives only work in generating colector interest when the exclusivity is more an illusion than a threat.
    Not that I trolled the TRUs of my area, but I never saw a hint of these figures at any of them. They never even had the re-distributed figures that filled out the wave, so I know that if they did ship, they were in VERY small numbers.

I don't collect every single figure, but there are a few in this wave that I would definitely like to get and I have a feeling that it ain't a-gonna happen.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**