Thread: OTC vs TVC

Hybrid View

OTC vs TVC

Hey guys sorry if I am asking redundant questions here just started collecting. But is having for example: a Darth Vader(or whichever character) from the OTC better or worse than having one of the same character from TVC? and or vice a versa.

Quote Originally Posted by soloforever View Post
    Hey guys sorry if I am asking redundant questions here just started collecting. But is having for example: a Darth Vader(or whichever character) from the OTC better or worse than having one of the same character from TVC? and or vice a versa.
    Depends on your criteria. Do you keep your figures carded or loose? If you're a loose collector like me, I would assume you'd generally rather have TVC figures than OTC because of the improved sculpting and articulation (plus better accessories). If you're a carded collector it depends on which would fetch a better resale price or which you prefer. As far as resale price, well, with people buying and keeping figures carded and mint in such great numbers it seems unlikely that most figures would fetch a high price on the secondary market. If it's what you prefer, well then it's up to you.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

The earlier vintage assortments are referred to as VOTC (Vintage Original Trilogy Collection - 2004), VTSC (Vintage The Saga Collection - 2006), and VTAC (Vintage Thirtieth Anniversary Collection - 2007). However some people will just use VOTC to refer to all pre-TVC vintage assortments. Hopefully my post will make more sense with this little bit of background info.

On to your question: a lot of the VTAC/VTSC/VTAC figures have been resculpted/retooled and significantly improved upon since their earlier release. These would include Vader, Boba Fett, Bespin Luke, C-3PO, R2-D2, Stormtrooper, Luke Skywalker, and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember. So, if you're in it for the figures, then you might want to track down the TVC versions. If you only want the most "perfect" version of each character - well that's kind of hit and miss, since the original Vintage assortments put out some amazing figures that will likely not be improved upon anytime soon (Bossk, IG-88, Snowtrooper, Chewbacca), and there are some figures (like ANH Han Solo) where people consider the 2004 VOTC release to actually be superior to the 2011 TVC release. Although with Han, they could technically count as two separate figures because of the different accessories and card art, so you would be justified in buying both.

If you are only interested in secondary market value, then it's possible that the original VOTC/VTSC/VTAC figures might be worth more money, since I believe they were produced in smaller numbers; but it won't be much more. The only reason the real vintage Kenner figures are as valuable as they is because they were purchased mostly by kids and were usually opened and played with pretty heavily. Ever since 1995, collectors have been buying and storing away Star Wars figures in massive numbers, so finding mint examples of modern figures isn't going to be that difficult.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis