Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Its too easy for people to pick on TPM. Its not what many of us expected but still. I strongly criticize these critics who pick on the same movies over and over. Obviously they have not seen enough movies to be qualified as true critics. Besides, Star Wars is not meant to be a literary work of art, I say its meant to be fun and entertaining and I definitely think you cant argue that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Was "Titanic" considered a "summer blockbuster" or was it a "for the love of God will they ever stop screening this thing" blockbuster?
    No, it came out in December.

Quote Originally Posted by nohagent View Post
    Its too easy for people to pick on TPM. Its not what many of us expected but still. I strongly criticize these critics who pick on the same movies over and over. Obviously they have not seen enough movies to be qualified as true critics. Besides, Star Wars is not meant to be a literary work of art, I say its meant to be fun and entertaining and I definitely think you cant argue that it is not.
    If it's "too easy to pick on TPM", then there's a good reason for it, it's like saying "it's too easy for people to pick on the AMC Pacer" - it's easy because there's something substantially wrong.

I am fed up with these claims that "it doesn't have to be good, it's just meant to be a fun movie", that is ludicrous, as if being a popcorn film excuses bad work. Raiders of the Lost Ark, SW:ANH, Jaws, Close Encounters, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Terminator 2, Iron Man, Back to the Future, Aliens, Predator, Robocop, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, X-men, Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Spider-Man - none of those are meant to be "important" films beyond just being solid entertainment, mere popcorn films, and yet they are head and shoulders above TPM.

And I can certainly make arguments for why TPM is not consistently "fun and entertaining", it's got plenty of long, boring sections with a few ok bits here and there, some good ideas covered up by bad choices and poor directing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I am fed up with these claims that "it doesn't have to be good, it's just meant to be a fun movie", that is ludicrous, as if being a popcorn film excuses bad work. Raiders of the Lost Ark, SW:ANH, Jaws, Close Encounters, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Terminator 2, Iron Man, Back to the Future, Aliens, Predator, Robocop, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, X-men, Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Spider-Man - none of those are meant to be "important" films beyond just being solid entertainment, mere popcorn films, and yet they are head and shoulders above TPM.
    All of those movies are the greatest movies ever made.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

...and most of them show up on the "best movie" type lists....JT did you lift that from somebody?

Everything else on their list belongs there. Everything else on that list either killed an ongoing franchise, strangled one out of the gate, tarnished an earlier version of the property or was just plain bad. TPM may have it's faults, but it has it's fans, it's about to be re-launched in 3D with a major theatrical release. The franchise it's a part of is alive and ongoing.... I would've put "Matrix Reloaded" on that list instead....talk about a sequel that took the original's premise and just dove off a cliff into wretched excess...

You'll all notice that Speed Racer is not on that list. Because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    ...and most of them show up on the "best movie" type lists....JT did you lift that from somebody?
    Not at all, that is a truncated version of a list I've been coughing up with this same argument for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by jedibear View Post
    Everything else on their list belongs there. Everything else on that list either killed an ongoing franchise, strangled one out of the gate, tarnished an earlier version of the property or was just plain bad. TPM may have it's faults, but it has it's fans, it's about to be re-launched in 3D with a major theatrical release. The franchise it's a part of is alive and ongoing.... I would've put "Matrix Reloaded" on that list instead....talk about a sequel that took the original's premise and just dove off a cliff into wretched excess...
    IMDB user ratings:
    ANH - 8.8
    ESB - 8.8
    ROTJ - 8.3
    TPM - 6.4
    AOTC - 6.8
    ROTS - 7.8

There's a theme running through the general moviegoing population which sees Episode I as the low point in the saga. I personally don't agree, I feel it's the most Star Warsy of the prequels, but each film has over a hundred thousand votes, that's a very large voting selection.

I would agree that Matrix Reloaded definitely should have been on that list, it was awful, I didn't even see the 3rd one in theaters or for years afterwards because that movie was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You'll all notice that Speed Racer is not on that list. Because it's awesome.
    Uhh... sure, that's why. I suspect they just forgot about it, it's surprisingly forgettable. It has at least as weak ratings as TPM with IMDB readers, and significantly weaker ratings with critics.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.