Question Desktop or laptop... finding a new computer. (HELP?)

I'm in the market for a new computer (again) and I was wondering if anyone could help shed some insight on the debate between laptop and desktop. Someone told me that laptops will burn out faster than a desktop. Is this true? I also do all of my gaming via my computer, so that is a consideration. I also do a lot of music editing and photoshop (both programmes that I have are Windows based).

Do our resident tech-geeks have any opinions? I'm not all that savvy about such things and was wondering if I could get some direction.

Thanks!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Well, the batteries in laptops seem to have shorter lives. Mine usually needs the plug, or it really drains fast (which makes the portability fairly useless, I guess ). I like my Dell desktop just fine.

I just want to know why "E" and "T" are among the most common letters used in English, yet the keyboard on my desktop has the "L" and "N" letters almost worn away? "ET" is "right here" and fine.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Traditionally speaking, yes, a desktop will last longer than a laptop.

The main reason is heat.

A laptop just lacks sufficient cooling properties when compared to a desktop. I bought a top of the line laptop cooler for my laptop just for this reason. Yet, even with that the desktop I just built will last much longer. Additionally, the desktop will outperform the laptop, in terms of bang for the buck. Add to that the fact that a desktop can be upgraded over time, much more easily than a laptop. Finally, if you do blow something out on a desktop it is typically much easier, less expensive, to repair than a laptop.

My recommendation, unless you need the portability of the laptop then stick to the desktop.

Also, with that in mind, remember that those spiffy new all-in-one computers suffer from the same short comings as a laptop. So when I say "desktop" I am speaking of a traditional tower with separate monitor.
    May the force be with you.

Thank you for your help! I think I will be sticking with the desktop since most of my portable online activity is handled by my phone and I don't need to do work sitting at a park or anything. LOL

I am SO with you on that, sk99!! I hate the all-in-one units like I hate the TVs that have the DVD player built into them. What happens when the one thing stops working and not the other??? All of my peripheral pieces are in good working order, so I would just replace the tower.

Cheers!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**