Thread: Gotham

Gotham

I love this show. A very interesting premise and I dig detective Gordon.

Barbara Gordon is hot, but a former drug using lesbian who used to be involved with a MCU investigator?

Her appearances are more than just good eye-candy. In spite of her looks, I actually do not like her! (not the actress, she is talented at looking so hot, but making me so much hope she gets flushed down the sewer with Penguin - a character that I'm really enjoying).

I love the Mafia angle on this show. Very much in-tune with the Nolan universe.

Another question about Barbara.

In the Adam West show, Barbara was Gordon's daughter who becomes Bat Girl.

Now it is actually possible, that a daughter is named after her mother. So there are 2 Barbaras.

That's fine. And this show will NOT have a Bat Girl, as Bruce is way too young to become Batman. This show is about Gordon.

I think Selena Kyle should be younger though. She might be the same age as Bruce, but maybe taller because girls mature first? I don't know. I think it could be good to have her younger than Bruce, but the story's not doing that.

Also in the Nolan universe, in Batman Begins, Gordon has a wife named Barbara - and a son. I think by Dark Knight, he also has a baby daughter, but no name is given. Again, the daughter could also be named Barbara.

Now I have to ask myself why I care so much.

I prefer Batman with no sidekicks, no Robin, no Bat Girl. In the end, if in the Nolan universe when Christian Bale hangs up his cape, if the cop turning super-hero becomes Night Wing (or another Batman) with nothing to do with any Robin, I'd be really good with that.

I am now finding the Adam West series almost unwatchable unless I'm in the mood for campy and laughs.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I love this show. A very interesting premise and I dig detective Gordon.
    I'm enjoying the show quite a bit myself.

Barbara Gordon is hot, but a former drug using lesbian who used to be involved with a MCU investigator?
    And that MCU investigator is Montoya, who first appeared in Batman: The Animated Series & the Batman comics around the same time. She later becomes the female version of the Question. Like in Gotham, in the comics Montoya is also lesbian. Barbara Gordon being her former love interest is new. Unlike Gotham however, in the comics and animated show Montoya was a Gotham police detective.

I love the Mafia angle on this show. Very much in-tune with the Nolan universe.
    And its very in tune with the comic books. The mafia and corrupt cops is just as big a part of the Batman comic universe as super villains like Joker, Two Face and the like. Carmine Falcone, Salvatore Maroni, Harvey Bullock, and Gotham's portrayal of Penguin as a snitch/informant is all in the comics. The only original regular mafia character on Gotham at this point is Fish Mooney. I wouldn't be surprised if we got other mafia players from the comics in Gotham eventually. Rupert Thorne, the Sabatino family, the Riley family, Tony Zucco, the Dimitrov family. Maybe even Black Mask or White Shark.

Another question about Barbara.

In the Adam West show, Barbara was Gordon's daughter who becomes Bat Girl.

Now it is actually possible, that a daughter is named after her mother. So there are 2 Barbaras.

That's fine. And this show will NOT have a Bat Girl, as Bruce is way too young to become Batman. This show is about Gordon.

Also in the Nolan universe, in Batman Begins, Gordon has a wife named Barbara - and a son. I think by Dark Knight, he also has a baby daughter, but no name is given. Again, the daughter could also be named Barbara.
    In the comics there are two characters by the name of Barbara Gordon. The first is Barbara Kean-Gordon/Eileen-Gordon (the Kean/Eileen name varies by comic author). This is James Gordon's fiance on Gotham who would eventually become his wife/ex-wife. In the comics she catches Gordon having an affair with a co-worker by the name of Sarah Essen (who would eventually become Gordon's second wife) and they divorce. In some stories she is depicted as being deceased and in other stories it is mentioned that she moved to Chicago with her son James Gordon Jr. The other Barbara is Barbara "Babs" Gordon. This Barbara is Batgirl. Her origins vary though depending on whether you are talking about "Pre-Crisis" or "Post-Crisis" DC comic continuity. In "Pre-Crisis" continuity this Barbara is Gordon's daughter. She is also a librarian, like in the Adam West Batman show. In "Post-Crisis" continuity this Barbara is Gordon's niece, whom Gordon adopts as a teen when Gordon's brother and sister-in-law (Barbara's parents) pass away. Gordon also has a son, but the name and age of that son change depending on which continuity you are talking about. In "Pre-Crisis" continuity his name is Anthony "Tony" Gordon and he is a college student. He died in a battle with the Sino-Supermen (Batman Family #12, Detective Comics #482). In "Post-Crisis" continuity his name is James Gordon, Jr. and he is younger than his cousin/adopted sister Barbara. This is the son depicted in the Nolan trilogy and is the son that moves to Chicago with his mom, the other Barbara. In the comics James Jr. is eventually revealed to be a sociopath who kills and mutilates people for fun. He is institutionalized as a teenager after he disfigures a school bus driver. After he is released years later, he commits a series of brutal murders and nearly kills his mother before being apprehended by his father and Dick Grayson (as Batman). He later escapes Arkham, and begins stalking his cousin/adopted sister, who he views as a rival for his father's affection and it is revealed that he deliberately caused the divorce of his parents. He eventually kills Barbara's pet cat (a gift from Barbara Kean) and threatens to do the same to Barbara if she didn't leave the Gordon family and ever tried to contact them again.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Malakite beat me to it.

I'll go into more detail when I'm on a computer with a keyboard, but I found it mediocre, bordering on awful. Not because I'm a purist; the writing was awful, the acting some of the worst I've seen, the Easter eggs clumsy, and, well, by the time Bruce becomes Batman, it'd be impossible to root for him fighting these villains, as he'll be abusing the elderly, not a vigilante.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Unfortunately I did not enjoy the premiere episode and it would take a lot for me to revisit the series.

I just felt that with so many over the top moments as well as moments for the sole purpose of shock value, it was taking too many pages from The Following, another Fox series I don't enjoy. Cobblepot's emergence from the river and carving up the fisherman is a prime example of this.

At the same time, it's also "Batman for dummies" what with how they go to great pains to let you know who certain characters are destined to become. See this forensics guy, Edward Nygma and how cryptic he speaks?? That's because he's the Riddler!!!

Gotham has been amazing. I love little Catwoman.

Harvey Dent made his appearance.

Penguin continues to kill it.

I like Bruce's development with Alfred. The butler could kick some butt in those days.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I like Bruce's development with Alfred. The butler could kick some butt in those days.
    I would hope so since they are following his Earth One origin in that Alfred is a former member of the Royal Marines.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection