Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Well, since I still don't have cable, I'm forced to download the episodes off of iTunes, so I just watched the season 2 premiere yesterday.

Usually, I'm that guy who likes to read the books and get the basic story down, including how everything ends, before I even watch movies or shows like this. However, I'm making a concerted effort to stay as "spoiler-free" as possible for this show. I don't know what's going to happen next and I don't want to know. So, as you might guess, the ending of this week's show caught me completely off guard.

I'm assuming that this turn of events was in the comic book, but it's still a pretty gutsy thing to put on television.

My only minor gripe is a tiny one. I understand that mediums like TV and comics prefer to have strong visual representations of spiritual or religious beliefs; but I don't know that any Southern Baptist Church would ever have a statue of Jesus Christ on the cross right in the center of their sanctuary (I was raised Southern Baptist, but am currently in a Presbyterian Church). They might have a cross, but it will always be empty; because praying to a carved image of Jesus/GOD is still considered idolatry. I'm assuming it was a concession made for storytelling purposes and it's good to see a show that takes a respectful approach to religion for a change; so it's something that I can overlook.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Someone mentioned to me that there's a clip of a parody, called "The Walken Dead," but I shan't post a link to it, due to its language. But if you search for it, it'll give you... a recipe... for more cowbell. Wow.
    "That's what Sheev said."

What was gutsy to put on TV, BigBarada? I'm quite desensitised and as a writer, I'm always trying to come up with something that challenges levels of appropriateness all the time. I've just come up with a necropheliac being caught in the act and executed by a bullet in the head on top of the body he was "into." But this is in a western Civil War format (my work).

Usually, I'm that guy who likes to read the books and get the basic story down, including how everything ends, before I even watch movies or shows like this. However, I'm making a concerted effort to stay as "spoiler-free" as possible for this show. I don't know what's going to happen next and I don't want to know. So, as you might guess, the ending of this week's show caught me completely off guard.

I'm in the same position that you are. I've actually not been really into horror - this sort of thing. But WD is not traditional horror. It's a survival story about the families. That makes it very different. (Now Falling Skies and Tera Nova are very smiliar in that regard - but with aliens or dinosaurs respectively - yet Walking Dead does it better.)

I'm assuming that this turn of events was in the comic book, but it's still a pretty gutsy thing to put on television.
    Just like you, I wouldn't know. I would like them to come up with a cause for the Zombie Appacolypse - as well as a cure, or information such as "will all those turned" eventually decay and rot apart so there are less and less zombies and humanity can be restarted? Also, what's the rest of the world like? I assume that either it's everywhere, or North and South America are affected and Europe, Africa and Asia are still safe?

My only minor gripe is a tiny one. I understand that mediums like TV and comics prefer to have strong visual representations of spiritual or religious beliefs; but I don't know that any Southern Baptist Church would ever have a statue of Jesus Christ on the cross right in the center of their sanctuary (I was raised Southern Baptist, but am currently in a Presbyterian Church). They might have a cross, but it will always be empty; because praying to a carved image of Jesus/GOD is still considered idolatry. I'm assuming it was a concession made for storytelling purposes and it's good to see a show that takes a respectful approach to religion for a change; so it's something that I can overlook.
    Eh, religion is hypocrisy to me. Jews didn't accept Christ for the most part (aside from Christ's first followers) because worshipping a man - or saying that he's God walking on earth - is idolotry. Jews are too tactful to say that Christians are all going to hell for idolotry if you were to extend all of it to what it actually is - worshipping anything other than an image-less Creator God. That being said, Christians believe Jesus is the messiah, yet Jews who do not, still wait for one. For what? So the Jews can worship a messiah, too? That's idolotry too. So it looks like everyone's going to hell anyway. Statue or not.

Interestingly enough, I intentionally write hypocritical Christians who as Southerners in the Civil War era, should definitely be Baptists, as having a huge cross in their church. I needed the imagery of my modern-day characters, upon who after having sex in the church in which they are trapped during a hurricane, are subsequently almost buried in that very church as they cling to the large cross as everything's buried in a flood (in Louisiana of course). I had to have the imagery to accomplish the desired "offense" with the scene that I was going for.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    What was gutsy to put on TV, BigBarada? I'm quite desensitised and as a writer, I'm always trying to come up with something that challenges levels of appropriateness all the time.
    Usually anything that involves graphic violence against children is pretty gutsy to put on television. It's even rare for an R-rated horror movie to cross that boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Eh, religion is hypocrisy to me.
    I was simply pointing out what Southern Baptist's believe for accuracy purposes, not making a commentary on religion. However, I do agree with this statement; but true Christianity has nothing to do with religion.

Anyways, I liked this week's episode. It's good to see some new characters getting introduced. I actually found myself caring more about the welfare of Rick's son than seeing any zombies.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Other than last night's ep, I'm finally caught up. The producers have geared up the action and gore so far this year, and I like that.

The herd of zombies wandering the highway was unnerving.

The Well Walker was so creepy.

I bet it's a family member that those on the farm are keeping secretly.

Maybe the doctor is experimenting on captured Zombies? (To cure them if it's possible.)

And maybe's he's also holding Sophia to feed her to them?

All is not what it seems on that farm I'd bet.

But at least Glenn banged the hot farmer's daughter!

Do you guys watch "Talking Dead" after the shows? It's worth viewing regularly.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm really enjoying the show this year and I'm glad that, despite a lesser role from Darabont, they are carrying on quite well.

I want to create a really boring show called The Walking Deaf.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

So was that it for season 2? Usually the new episode is available on iTunes by now but I haven't seen anything on there yet. If that is the end, then the second season wrapped it up on a very powerful note. This is definitely the best show on television right now.

I thought the whole "are they zombies or just sick people?" debate was very thought provoking and can totally understand Hershel's stance on it. Especially since he's been pretty sheltered from the horrors of the apocalypse up until now and isn't going to be too eager to put a bullet in his wife's brain just because someone on TV tells him she's turned into a monster.

Gotta wait til February, BB. As much as we love zombies, they aren't warm and cuddly at the holidays.

It will be hard to top this ending, though.

I think in this case, Shane was right: kill them.

You can't cure them even if you find a vaccine for the virus (for bites).

1) the walkers are decaying, dead people. How are they going to regenerate and live normal lives if something can be done to fight the disease? They can't. Maybe Herschel's walkers are pristine and not missing limbs and parts of their faces - maybe. They had to be turned into zombies and when that happened, they were clearly wounded by being chewed on. The human body does not recover from that. We don't have bacta tanks (and Luke couldn't grow a new arm, even with one).

2) They are a violent threat to bite and dismember and even devour healthy people they encounter. So you can't do anything with them - and they're a threat. It's cruel to leave them in that undead state. Shane is right.

I think Herschel would eventually have seen that for himself, but Shane made it easier for him.

And no, I don't always like the way Shane handles things (I guess) - for instance abandoning the search for Sophia before they knew what happened to her, but he's practical.

I took the poll on AMC's website and it identified which character I'd be and I got Rick. Maybe I should re-take that test?